ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 Windows 10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TryHardTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 2:25am
Also, if you're having problems with an USB 3.0 slot's driver for something like a mouse/keyboard or USB headset you can use one of the USB 2.0 slots. Your mouse and keyboard won't be more responsive or have less latency hooked up to a usb 3.0 over the 2.0. In fact as far as i know the ps/2 mouse and keyboard slots are still technically better in that respect than any USB port. I'm not sure I've been able to tell the difference but, the data suggests as much. - Portable storage devices and the like of course are a horse of a different color.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 2:38am
Originally posted by TryHardTex TryHardTex wrote:

It includes the catalyst drivers for AMD/ATI GPUs that are more than useless for anyone with an Nvidia GPU. I'm not sure what a Graphics processor control panel is doing amongst the mobo driver download. Chipset, USB drivers, onboard LAN,  integrated sound/south bridge drivers, SATA etc. are what I was checking to make sure windows had installed the most current versions as in the past I've found OS's had failed to do so.  I'm trying to remember exactly what was in the bundle...

Catalyst install manager
something listed as OEM -such and such
MS visual C++ 2012 x64 redistributable
MS visual C++ 2012 x86 redistributable
AMD display drivers (the GPU drivers)

It's close to, if not the same, package offered on the AMD site when updating an AMD GPU.

It's almost as if someone meant to link:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

but in error linked:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64

The first link being AMD Chipset Drivers and the second Catalyst 15.7.1 & Graphics Driver Installer for Windows 10 64-Bit. I'm not going to run either to find out how close each of them are to the all in one package from the asrock provided download. I'm going to live by the old adage, "if it's not broke, don't fix it." I system restored to the point I created before I installed the all-in-one pack. I had and now again have better performance letting windows manage all but my GPU drivers. I'm using the 353.54 NVidia graphics drivers rather than the latest edition (355.60 were released middle of last week, and sometimes it's better to wait and watch the forums to see if there are any wide spread issues, let someone else be the tester while I use the month old drivers that are working fine. That's why I don't download the "NVidia experience" that will auto check and update the gpu drivers if you're not careful with configuring as such.

sry for the wall of text

Driver installation packages like the AMD "All in one" driver package are designed to be multiple-platform driver installation programs. Intel does a similar thing with their chipset/INF installation program, and a few others, but not to the extent that AMD does with the All in one package.

The graphics drivers you found installed might have been for AMD boards that have built in graphics support, with an additional chipset on the board. That does not apply to the 970 Extreme3 R2.0, so IMO that seems like a bug in the installation program.

Imagine if the All in one installer program did not first install the chipset identification files (INF), or is depending upon the ones provided with Windows 10. Who knows what the logic of that installer program is, but it seems as if it is installing drivers that are not required.

Windows has many drivers that are available for all sorts of hardware, but most are not used by every PC. That would be impossible obviously. Perhaps the All in one installer is just installing everything it has, which won't be "started", as Windows refers to unused drivers.

The new and annoying "feature" of Windows 10, that does not allow the user to select and install the updates and in some cases drivers they want to have in their PC, is IMO a big mistake by MS and will be a pain in the Censored for people that know better like us.
TryHardTex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TryHardTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 3:16am
Yes, I'm familiar with Intel, AMD, NVidia and  the old ATI software pre 96 when AMD acquired them. I built my first PC in 97 but, feel like I learn something every build. 

Right click the windows logo on the bottom left of the task bar -
Click advanced system settings -
Go to the hardware tab -
Click Device Installation settings -
Do you want windows to download driver software and realistic icons for your devices? - change it to "No, Let me choose what to do"
Then go click the action center icon on the right side of the task bar -
click settings -
click update and security -
then under the first category, windows update and security click the advanced settings link and uncheck the box give me updates for other MS products when I update windows -

I believe that will relinquish some of the control we'd prefer but, as with past Microsoft OS's some boxes will seem to magically re-toggle themselves on or off. Most of the time it happens when scheduled "maintenance" tasks run and other times it'll tell you in the fine print when your adjusting another random setting. It's real neat-o.

I've been begging a couple of friends who work for Microsoft to push for an OS version for enthusiasts but, I'm not going to hold my breath. One day someone will really compete with microsoft's OS and find a way rival the compatibility across the board with all the same software from third party devs, I hope. Then they'll be forced to stop kicking us around as they see fit. Virtualization allows me to run Ubuntu when I'd rather do so but, alas, direct X gets in the way of many of my favorite games over the years. It has been easier to take the Microsoft beating than employ any work around, for me.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic