FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock X370 Taichi Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock X370 Taichi Review
    Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 4:20am
Mine is still flawless and I have had this PC on and in heavy use since writing the review Wink
threadrippera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadrippera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 3:31am
I also have this board in one of my computers and it has been working great for me.

Edited by threadrippera - 11 Mar 2018 at 3:31am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 9:42am
Originally posted by canopus canopus wrote:

i have this mobo with Ryzen 1700 and i have problem when i connect 10x8TB Seagete IronWolf to mobo... WIN 10 64bit cant jump to win .. stuck on last step to win . any ideas? :( thanks
booting is from ultraM2 SSD WD 128GB
with 7 drives it work....
im confuse and sad :( dont know where can be problem

thanks

This thread is a review of the X370 Taichi, not a thread for user problems. You should post it in the correct forum, Technical Support, AMD Motherboards.

You are saying the board will not POST with all eight of your drives in connected to the board, and Windows does not start, right?

What is the code you see on the Dr Debug display when it fails to start Windows?

Have you tested that one of your eight drives is not bad? Do you always disconnect the same drive from the board to let Windows start?

Does it matter if the drive is connected to the AMD SATA ports, or the ASMedia SATA ports?
Lacrimosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lacrimosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 10:12am
The board is awesome if u know what to do for OCing. 

Ez 4Ghz for 1700x but we need an update on ram's clock can't go above 3000. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 1:23am
Without 10 drives to test on my setup I can't really help you. 

I would contact tech support and inquire with them:

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5265&title=howto-contact-tech-support

I am sure they will be able to help you, if it takes more than a few days for them to get back to you please PM me and I will try and speed things up for you Wink

canopus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canopus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 1:47am
i have this mobo with Ryzen 1700 and i have problem when i connect 10x8TB Seagete IronWolf to mobo... WIN 10 64bit cant jump to win .. stuck on last step to win . any ideas? :( thanks
booting is from ultraM2 SSD WD 128GB
with 7 drives it work....
im confuse and sad :( dont know where can be problem

thanks

Edited by canopus - 01 Jul 2017 at 2:07am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 8:01pm
Here is my latest review guys, enjoy Big smile
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 7:47pm
Reserved for updates
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:57pm
User question:

Originally posted by paraphrased question paraphrased question wrote:

Why did you test 2133 vs 3200 rather than the stock Ryzen RAM frequency of 2667 vs 3200?

The answer is simple, my RAM kits predate Kaby Lake and Ryzen and lack JEDEC values for speeds other than the original DDR4 "standard" speed of 2133. Without a JEDEC setting encoded onto the RAM for 2667 the system does not know what voltage, timings and settings to apply so it will default to a JEDEC setting that does exist, in this case 2133. If the RAM was Kaby Lake era but predating Ryzen then it would default to the JEDEC setting for 2400 which is Kaby Lake spec. This information is programmed by the RAM manufacturer and not updated after sale. You can manually change these values using special software but I don't recommend it unless you already know how to do it, in which case you know the risks Wink

I also chose 2133 because it highlights RAM frequency differences more clearly. Testing at 2667 vs 3200 would have yielded results that were much closer to each other and thus been more difficult to differentiate between. 

Edited by Xaltar - 29 Jun 2017 at 10:00pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 2:57pm
Conclusion and Verdict

I have been testing this board for over two weeks now, longer than usual for my reviews given there was a BIOS update that I felt needed to be tested. The X370 Taichi is quite something to see in person. The pics of it you see on the web don't do it justice, it has to be one of the most stunning boards I have tested to date. The Black and White theme really pops with almost any color scheme and picks up the hues of your RGB lighting perfectly. While I did love the aesthetics of my Z270 Gaming K6, it was impossible to use anything but a red color scheme with it.

I can't really think of anything negative to say about the X370 Taichi, most of the issues I ran into were UEFI related, first because I was using a beta and then because my particular RAM did not play nice with the latest version (2.4). The board layout, features and options are all top notch.

The X370 Taichi isn't for everyone, for one, it is on the higher end of ASRock's price spectrum. If you are not going to be doing any heavy overclocking (AIO or water cooling), don't plan on using dual GPUs in SLI or Crossfire and would rather spend the bulk of your money on a GPU then the Taichi is probably not for you. If you are an enthusiast overclocker, hard core content creator in need of plenty of IO and stability or someone who wants to build the best PC they can then the X370 Taichi is definitely worth a look. Quality components throughout, well designed layout and solid build quality all make the X370 Taichi a strong contender. If that was not enough then the 16 Phase power design will certainly tip the scales in it's favor. The more power phases a board uses the more distributed and stable the load will be, this also means lower VRM temperatures. This combination means the Taichi will be a brilliant choice for overclocking.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the X370 Taichi. It looks fantastic in my case with my Blue and White color scheme, it runs cool and quiet and gives me all the overclocking grunt I could ask for. If anyone is curious, I run my system at 4.0ghz, 3200 RAM at 1.31v. I have wanted to try out a Taichi board ever since I saw the first X99 Taichi boards released, I can't say I was disappointed.

Cons:

1. The RGB lighting under the PCH heatsink should have been a little further under the heatsink to better diffuse the light.
2. No Dual BIOS
3. I would have liked to have seen a few more USB ports on the rear IO but that is nitpicking
4. It doesn't bring me breakfast in bed?

Pros:

1. Stunning aesthetics
2. Brilliant power design with an insanely overkill VRM section
3. Loads of UEFI options available to fine tune overclocks and RAM timings etc.
4. A ton of IO options including 2 M.2 slots
5. Plenty of RGB headers and options

Verdict:

Build Quality: 10
Design:   9
Value:   9
Performance: 10
Overall: 9.5

Once again, a huge thank you to ASRock for providing me with my sample. The ASRock X370 Taichi I have tested here is a standard production model, exactly what you get when you order one online or pick one up from your local brick and mortar store, all I did when I got it was update the UEFI and begin testing. This is true with all review samples ASRock sends out. Just because I am a moderator here does not mean I will ever over sell an ASRock product or hide it's flaws. On the contrary, I will always tell it like it is and give ASRock a hard time if I feel they made a mistake or poor design choice. The relationship I have with ASRock allows me to voice my opinion and is based in honest dialogue, it is the only reason I consented to be a moderator here in the first place.

As always, please feel free to reply and ask questions. If I missed anything out (I always feel like I do) please let me know. The beauty of reviews like this is that I can add information and answer questions.

Edited by Xaltar - 29 Jun 2017 at 9:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic