ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350M Pro4 SOC voltage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kebl3739 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebl3739 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AB350M Pro4 SOC voltage
    Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by kebl3739 kebl3739 wrote:

Originally posted by danielcepa danielcepa wrote:

i would start from scratch. Reset UEFI to defaults

Edit:
Like i said, raise the RAM voltage to 1.3 - 1.35 from the overclock tab. Leave the rest untouched
AMD CBS is the last menu item in the ADVANCED tab

I tried the method you have above, sadly still won't boot at anything above 2133.

Thanks anyway!

Unless I'm blind, I don't see your system specs listed.

R5 1600
ASRock AB350m Pro4
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8Gb Red CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 10:51am
Originally posted by NJT_PPT NJT_PPT wrote:

Does anyone know if ASRock is planning on adding SOC voltage manipulation in the next BIOS? Seeing how this parameter is so important to get a stable memory overclock, I don't see how I can get my RAM to run at its rated speeds without a higher SOC voltage

Thank you.

I have the SOC voltage option in my ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac board, and even when set to 1.2V+, I cannot get my Ryzen specific G.SKILL FlareX 3200 memory to run at 3200. 2933 is the highest stable speed I can achieve.

Believe me, SOC voltage is not the magic cure to over clock your memory. Just like AGESA 1.0.0.6 was also not the magic fix for memory over clocking on Ryzen.

More important is the model of DDR4 memory you use. Certainly not every model of DDR4 memory can be over clocked with Ryzen, and then be able to reach speeds over 2933. Memory speeds of 3200 and beyond are happening on only a few models of DDR4 memory.

There is another factor to consider, sorry to say. We are talking about an $80 board, which is a budget model. The SOC in a Ryzen processor actually has its own VRM circuitry on the mother board to supply it with voltage and power. Can we expect a budget level board to have an SOC VRM design equivalent to more expensive boards, like my mid range X370 Killer SLI/ac ($160)? Sorry, no. That is the most likely reason you do not find an SOC voltage option in this board's UEFI/BIOS.

Ryzen 7 processors are AMD's first use of DDR4 memory. If the rated speed of your memory is an over clock given your processor and board specs, it is not guaranteed. That is what the memory manufactures will tell you, certainly G.SKILL said this about my FlareX memory.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 8:15am
Originally posted by kebl3739 kebl3739 wrote:

Edit:
Like i said, raise the RAM voltage to 1.3 - 1.35 from the overclock tab. Leave the rest untouched

I tried the method you have above, sadly still won't boot at anything above 2133.

Thanks anyway!

Unless I'm blind, I don't see your system specs listed.
kebl3739 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebl3739 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2017 at 1:35am

Edit:

Thanks anyway!
danielcepa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danielcepa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 5:05am

Edit:

Edited by danielcepa - 30 Jun 2017 at 5:09am
kebl3739 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebl3739 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 2:38am

[URL=][/URL]

2. If you overclock the RAM manually (i set my 32GB Corsair LPX from 2400 to 2933 @1.30V) from Advanced UEFI menu - AMD CBS; the board wil automatically overclocked the SOC to a fixed 1.087-ish voltage for stability.

This is a result of OC'ing the memory. Ryzen does this automatically when OC'ing either processor and or memory.

Figured that much out, but this behaviour is not obvious in any way :)
BTW. CPU is at stock settings.

No. It's not obvious. That's why I piped in, to say so for those that weren't aware it does this.

In AMD CBS(forget which heading below it) do you have the option to set SoC voltage? There are some settings there that aren't available through the BIOS. Heck, you can just as easily OC the board from within it. I don't have a clue what this board has available under AMD CBS.

no, there are no voltage settings under Adavanced / AMD CBS
actually, there is one under NB CONFIGURATION , but its CLDO_VDDP - whatever that is

speaking of AMD CBS

This is by far the most stable way to overclock / set the memory speed.
First, dont touch the XMS setting, leave it on Auto, or wtv. In the overclock tab adjust only the RAM Voltage.
In the AMD CBS / Memory tab just enable overclocking, set the desired speed, the first five timings (eg. 16-16-16-16-32) , procODT (53.3ohm), done. Leave the rest on Auto

If the setting stick and are stable (windows boot, Memtest, etc) the cold boot / reboot related issues are gone.

2.60 BIOS, R7 1700

Thanks for this. Will try this when I get home.

I haven't managed to get my 3200rated RAM above 2133 via "OC Tweaker".

So I should leave the OC/XMP page alone and find AMD CBS? Where is that?
danielcepa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote danielcepa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by NJT_PPT NJT_PPT wrote:

Thank you for the explanation. However, the highest clock speed option I am given is 2000. Am I doing something wrong?

Ram is double data rate. So 2000 means 4000 :)
1466 is 2933
1600 is 3200
Etc

Edited by danielcepa - 29 Jun 2017 at 2:42pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 8:29am
2000 even while in AMD CBS?

Have you enable Overclocking in AMD CBS?

Sorry man. The manuals covering anything other than the "standard' BIOS is lacking. Actually, non-existent.
NJT_PPT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJT_PPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 6:59am
Thank you for the explanation. However, the highest clock speed option I am given is 2000. Am I doing something wrong?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 6:10am

2. If you overclock the RAM manually (i set my 32GB Corsair LPX from 2400 to 2933 @1.30V) from Advanced UEFI menu - AMD CBS; the board wil automatically overclocked the SOC to a fixed 1.087-ish voltage for stability.

This is a result of OC'ing the memory. Ryzen does this automatically when OC'ing either processor and or memory.

Figured that much out, but this behaviour is not obvious in any way :)
BTW. CPU is at stock settings.

No. It's not obvious. That's why I piped in, to say so for those that weren't aware it does this.

In AMD CBS(forget which heading below it) do you have the option to set SoC voltage? There are some settings there that aren't available through the BIOS. Heck, you can just as easily OC the board from within it. I don't have a clue what this board has available under AMD CBS.

no, there are no voltage settings under Adavanced / AMD CBS
actually, there is one under NB CONFIGURATION , but its CLDO_VDDP - whatever that is

speaking of AMD CBS

This is by far the most stable way to overclock / set the memory speed.
First, dont touch the XMS setting, leave it on Auto, or wtv. In the overclock tab adjust only the RAM Voltage.
In the AMD CBS / Memory tab just enable overclocking, set the desired speed, the first five timings (eg. 16-16-16-16-32) , procODT (53.3ohm), done. Leave the rest on Auto

If the setting stick and are stable (windows boot, Memtest, etc) the cold boot / reboot related issues are gone.

2.60 BIOS, R7 1700

Scroll down to "What's next for memory". Note this page addresses the changes/additions covering AGESA 1.0.0.6 only. CLDO_VDDP is among those explained. procODT too.
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/05/25/community-update-4-lets-talk-dram

Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic