ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock z270pro4 cannot "see" 1x PCI-E NIC?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scaly_lizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock z270pro4 cannot "see" 1x PCI-E NIC?
    Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 9:58pm
Hello!

I have a
- ASRock z270 pro4 mainbaord with a
- Intel skylake i3-7100 processor,
- 2 x 4 GB of Kingston DDR4 Ram
- nVidia 610 GPU card (in "PCIE2" slot on mainboard).

This is all working. However, I would like to ADD a pci-e network-interface-card (NIC):
- TP-link Gigabit PCI-E Adapter (Model: TG-3468).

The card as been inserted into ALL available 1x PCI-E slots (1/3/5) for testing purposes but NON seem to work, as the BIOS post does not list the device!

Curiously, the TP-link NIC is receiving power through the PCI-E slot, because the LEDs are turned on!?

The TP-link NIC has been tested in another mainboard (in 1x PCI-E slot) and is confirmed to be functioning.

Also I have inserted a very old PCI (not! PCI-E!) intel gigabit NIC into the single available PCI slot on the mainboard and it works. The mainboard recognizes the intel NIC and it shows up during BIOS post.

I really need to have TWO network cards available; one being the on-board intel NIC and the second one should be the TP-Link one i insert into the 1x PCI-E slot.

note: This is not by first computer build.\
note: All PCI-E slots are configured for "AUTO" in BIOS.
note: BIOS is latest version available: 2.0 released 4/14/2017

Any help and/or suggestions to get the TP-Link 1x Gigabit NIC to work w/ the "z270 pro4" mainboard would be greatly appreciated.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 9:42am
I have to ask 'cuz if I don't, well ............

Are you doubly sure it is fully seated? Unscrew the card from the bracket and being careful insert it into a slot.

I've had some cards over the years, and not all NICs, that the bracket L bend prevented full insertion. A pair of pliers quickly remedied that.

But by your desc. that is all that I have. No reason a simple NIC wouldn't work correctly.

Well, is your system "loaded' with other cards that may be chewing up resources?

scaly_lizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scaly_lizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 3:49am
Hello wardog Smile
Thanks for reply.

Matter of fact, i have TWO of those TP-Link gigabit NICs.
one of them has the bracket removed. I have tried both. In each available 1x PCI-E slot.

None of them work, as in, they don't register during BIOS post.

The only thing aside from what I mentioned earlier, there's a SATA connected SSD and a HDD. Nothing else.

Also the BIOS setup menu has a nifty feature that show a image of the mainboard and marks occupied slots.

The nVidia PCI-E grafic card shows up and so does the old-skool intel PCI NIC.
The plugged-in TP-Link NIC is a no-show Confused

What I want to try, if i get around to it and I am not to lazy, is to remove the nVidia GPU and use the intel GPU inside the Skylake CPU for video output and then see if this might free up some PCI-E lanes?Wacko

Else I will just live with the intel PCI (!) gigabit NIC  Clown

note: I would be nice if there were a setting in the BIOS to completely disable the GPU inside the CPU?

Edited by scaly_lizard - 11 Jul 2017 at 3:50am
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 1:56pm

Dear Scaly_lizard,

Thank you for choosing ASRock product.

Regarding your case, we provide some suggestion to verify.

1.       Please load BIOS default.

2.       Press F9 to load BIOS default and press F10 to save the configuration.

3.       Please try all the PCIe x1 slots, and set the PCIe link speed to Gen 1 or Gen2 to check.

4.       Please install the TP-Link NIC card on PCIe x16 slots to try.

5.       Please set the PCIe link speed to Gen 1 or Gen2.

Thank you!

Yours truly,

ASRock TSD

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by scaly_lizard scaly_lizard wrote:

Hello wardog Smile
Thanks for reply.

Matter of fact, i have TWO of those TP-Link gigabit NICs.
one of them has the bracket removed. I have tried both. In each available 1x PCI-E slot.

None of them work, as in, they don't register during BIOS post.

The only thing aside from what I mentioned earlier, there's a SATA connected SSD and a HDD. Nothing else.

Also the BIOS setup menu has a nifty feature that show a image of the mainboard and marks occupied slots.

The nVidia PCI-E grafic card shows up and so does the old-skool intel PCI NIC.
The plugged-in TP-Link NIC is a no-show Confused

What I want to try, if i get around to it and I am not to lazy, is to remove the nVidia GPU and use the intel GPU inside the Skylake CPU for video output and then see if this might free up some PCI-E lanes?Wacko

Else I will just live with the intel PCI (!) gigabit NIC  Clown

note: I would be nice if there were a setting in the BIOS to completely disable the GPU inside the CPU?

As suggested above by ASRock TSD, clear the UEFI/CMOS and see if the NIC card is then detected.

As you said, the cards should be detected in the System Browser tool.

The PCIe lanes (PCIe 2.0) for the PCIe x1 slots are provided by the Z270 chipset. They do not use the PCIe 3.0 lanes from the CPU. So removing the video card will not free up lanes for the PCIe 2.0 x1 slots.

You can disable the Intel iGPU by setting the IGPU Multi-Monitor option to disabled. The iGPU will never be 100% turned off, it will still idle at 0.224V.

Do you really prefer the TP-Link NIC to an Intel NIC chip? In the past, I would use Intel NIC cards to replace other NIC chips used in boards. If you look closely, I've seen random NIC cards using Intel chips.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic