ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - **SOLVED** AB350M Pro 4 UEFI Settings Black Screen
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

**SOLVED** AB350M Pro 4 UEFI Settings Black Screen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yue0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: **SOLVED** AB350M Pro 4 UEFI Settings Black Screen
    Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 3:31pm
[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]Hello all,

I've been experiencing some odd behavior of the BIOS on the Asrock AB350M Pro 4 on BIOS Version 2.5.

So before I had an issue where I was running my Intel RAM Giel Evo Potenza 16GB of DDR4 @2133MHz (rated for 2400MHz on Intel) that was having issues posting and restarting several times before finally booting.

So I upgraded to Kingston Hyper X Fury RAM as listed on the motherboard compatibility section and I was able to enable to XMP and overclock to 2666MHZ (stock clock 2400MHz) w/1.35v ram voltage.

HOWEVER, I am having an issue where I cannot boot into the UEFI BIOS. The computer boots as normal, but with just a black screen until Windows boots up. If I press ANY key's during the boot process. POST will hang and i'll just get a constantly refreshing black screen that just turns off after a while.

So, I reimaged Windows 10 and lo and behold the post screen comes back! I was excited to see progress. That is, until Windows had updated to this new version of its OS and ran some updates. Now the POST Asrock Logo doesn't show and it seems as if it was using Fast Boot to the OS, even though Fast Boot is disable.

Nothing on the OS end or even Asrocks Boot to UEFI Tool will get me into the BIOS nor through Windows Boot to UEFI. Nothing gets me into the BIOS except pulling the CMOS jumper to reset and the post option screen will come up ONCE.

SOOO i'm inclined to believe a Windows update having something to do with the UEFI is causing this issue. Like I said, when I first installed Windows pre-version 1703, it would post fine, after the 1703 update this BIOS screen would disappear and it would be impossible for me to boot into BIOS without resetting the CMOS. Any idea's or settings in the BIOS I should change?

System Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-Core 12-Thread CPU (Stock Cooler)
RAM: 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Fury DDR4 2400MHz RAM in slots B and D running Dual Channel
PSU: Corsair TX650 Full Modular PSU
GPU: AMD Radeon RX470 - Reference Edition
MOBO: Asrock AB350M Pro 4
PCI-E NVMe SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB SSD (OS Installed on this)
HDD: Toshiba 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
WIN: Windows 10 Pro ver. 1703 w/ latest updates
BIOS: Latest Asrock BIOS ver. 2.5

Edited by yue0707 - 12 Jul 2017 at 2:32am
yue0707 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yue0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 3:38pm
Here is the updates I currently have installed...

http://imgur.com/a/LpU42

Edited by yue0707 - 11 Jul 2017 at 3:39pm
yue0707 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yue0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 3:50pm
[URL=][/URL]Looking at my Event logs, during UEFI BIOS bootup, went straight to Windows I see a lot of C-State issues relating power management. Perhaps disabling the CPU power features is something I should try? I'm not sure, I can't see why that would cause an issue with booting into the UEFI BIOS.

The error I am seeing as well with a C-State related issue:
http://imgur.com/a/OBO2H

Edited by yue0707 - 11 Jul 2017 at 3:57pm
yue0707 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yue0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:03pm
Another option I am exploring is installing CENTOS 7 or Debian-Like OS and having Grub manage the EFI Partition/Boot instead of Windows. Perhaps that would be a workaround to this issue until everything is resolved.

Or return the Mobo to Microcenter a go with another brand and scale up into the X series Chipset. It would be a shame though because this Mobo is pretty solid for the price.

Edited by yue0707 - 11 Jul 2017 at 4:08pm
Jm62383 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jm62383 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:53pm
Sounds like memory issues, not windows. If your ram is 2400, reduce it back down to 2400 not 2666.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by yue0707 yue0707 wrote:

[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]Hello all,

I've been experiencing some odd behavior of the BIOS on the Asrock AB350M Pro 4 on BIOS Version 2.5.

So before I had an issue where I was running my Intel RAM Giel Evo Potenza 16GB of DDR4 @2133MHz (rated for 2400MHz on Intel) that was having issues posting and restarting several times before finally booting.

So I upgraded to Kingston Hyper X Fury RAM as listed on the motherboard compatibility section and I was able to enable to XMP and overclock to 2666MHZ (stock clock 2400MHz) w/1.35v ram voltage.

HOWEVER, I am having an issue where I cannot boot into the UEFI BIOS. The computer boots as normal, but with just a black screen until Windows boots up. If I press ANY key's during the boot process. POST will hang and i'll just get a constantly refreshing black screen that just turns off after a while.

So, I reimaged Windows 10 and lo and behold the post screen comes back! I was excited to see progress. That is, until Windows had updated to this new version of its OS and ran some updates. Now the POST Asrock Logo doesn't show and it seems as if it was using Fast Boot to the OS, even though Fast Boot is disable.

Nothing on the OS end or even Asrocks Boot to UEFI Tool will get me into the BIOS nor through Windows Boot to UEFI. Nothing gets me into the BIOS except pulling the CMOS jumper to reset and the post option screen will come up ONCE.

SOOO i'm inclined to believe a Windows update having something to do with the UEFI is causing this issue. Like I said, when I first installed Windows pre-version 1703, it would post fine, after the 1703 update this BIOS screen would disappear and it would be impossible for me to boot into BIOS without resetting the CMOS. Any idea's or settings in the BIOS I should change?

System Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-Core 12-Thread CPU (Stock Cooler)
RAM: 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Fury DDR4 2400MHz RAM in slots B and D running Dual Channel
PSU: Corsair TX650 Full Modular PSU
GPU: AMD Radeon RX470 - Reference Edition
MOBO: Asrock AB350M Pro 4
PCI-E NVMe SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB SSD (OS Installed on this)
HDD: Toshiba 1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
WIN: Windows 10 Pro ver. 1703 w/ latest updates
BIOS: Latest Asrock BIOS ver. 2.5

I have experienced a similar issue with my Ryzen system, the inability to use the Restart to UEFI utility to get into the UEFI/BIOS. But I have always been able to press the Del key during POST to get into the UEFI, and that continues to work. That has been that way for months now, with earlier versions of Windows 10, so I can assure you this is not a new thing with Restart to UEFI and Win 10.

What keyboard are you using, and does it have its own software/driver?

The Restart to UEFI program is based on a Windows feature introduced in Windows 8, that allows the PC to restart into the firmware interface as MSoft is calling it. I have noticed that Restart to UEFI will work if my memory is NOT overclocked beyond my DDR4 memory stock speed of 2400. That behavior has continued through the two AGESA updates. I am still not certain whom is at fault here. I have used the Restart to UEFI program for years with many ASRock Intel chipset boards, and an earlier AMD FX 900 series chipset board. That was with Windows 8.1 and 10, and it always worked perfectly. So I am inclined to believe it is some broken interaction between Windows and Ryzen, but I cannot prove that... yet.

You mentioned the Fast Boot feature in the UEFI/BIOS, but MSoft has another vaguely similar feature called Fast Startup. That feature only works from a cold boot/shutdown situation. In the past it could be disabled from the "Choose what the power buttons do" option in the Power Options screen in Windows 10. But I just noticed that MSoft has yet again changed that screen slightly, and that option is no longer available to configure in that screen. I have yet to find it, but haven't searched for it much yet. Why does MSoft keep changing things (dumbing them down) for no reason except to change them! Angry

It's strange that the POST screen display changed after the new Windows 10 installation. Did you happen to clear the UEFI/BIOS before you installed Win 10 again? The Full Screen Logo option in the Boot screen should be enabled by default and remain that way. That is easy to check... if you could get into the UEFI without clearing the CMOS. Confused  So you get a completely black screen during POST? If I have the Full Screen Logo option disabled in the UEFI, I still get a minimal display of text shown during POST, and a few of the POST codes are also shown.

What are you using for a monitor? A standard PC monitor or possibly a TV?

Did you install any drivers yourself, or is it all default Windows 10 drivers and Windows update drivers?

Your Win 10 installation seems to be working fairly normally. When you installed Win 10, what did you use, an optical disk or ISO file on a USB flash drive? Since you are using a 960 EVO NVMe SSD, the entry for the installation media in the boot order must have been the "UEFI: <device name>", which will give you the necessary UEFI booting installation. Did you have any other drives connected to the PC during the Win 10 installation?

I'm not sure what is causing your issue, but one thing you can try is disabling the AM4 Advance Boot Training option in the OC Tweaker screen. Do you have any UEFI settings you changed from their defaults? Not that I'm implying that would be wrong, just curious.
yue0707 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yue0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 2:07am
SOLUTION TO PROBLEM:
Problem: UEFI settings not able to be accessed via Windows, no ASRock Boot Logo w/settings. Computer will just restart back to windows or show a black screen when booting to UEFI settings from Windows 10. This issue may apply to some AMD GPU's using Displayport and the UEFI Settings by default booting to your monitors native HD resolution. This must be disabled for you to be able to consistently boot back into UEFI Settings. 

Solution: 
Instructions(for dummies):

1. Power off computer completely and disconnect power, remove any externally powered analog speaker cables hooked into the jack. 
2. Press the power button for 15 seconds to discharge the capacitors. Discharge any static or wear a static wrist band and pop the case open.  
3. Under the second x8 PCI-E slot and at the bottom center of the Mobo, you will see a 3-Pin connector with a jumper on it. Remove the jumper and move it ONE PIN to the right.
4. Wait 5 seconds and move the jumper ONE PIN to the left. 
5. Reconnect power and boot.
6. UEFI ASRock Splash Screen will show once and one time only so hit F2/DEL and boot to UEFI **WHEN THE LOGO APPEARS** HITTING F2/DEL BEFORE THE LOGO APPEARS WILL CAUSE THE SPLASH SCREEN NOT TO APPEAR AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RESTART AT STEP 1!!
7. Once in UEFI navigate to "Advanced" and use the down arrow until you highlight "Full HD UEFI"
8. A selection box will appear, select disable and hit enter.
9. Navigate to the "Exit" tab and select "Save Changes and Exit"
*Computer reboots and may display the post screen or just go to Windows*

If no splash screen appears, do not worry this is a integrated fast boot feature windows uses.

Boot to UEFI from Windows 10: 

1.Log in to you machine and right click the Windows Start Logo
2. Mouse over to "Shut down or Sign Out" and over again to restart. 
3. Press and hold LSHIFT while clicking restart. Windows will now boot to the Troubleshooting screen. 
4. Once in the troubleshooting screen, click the "Troubleshooting" box and then the "Advanced Options" box. 
5. Now finally, click the "UEFI Firmware Settings" box and then "Restart", your machine will boot into the UEFI (After disabling the HD Feature). 

So i hope this helps guys, ASRock if you need any info from me please let me know. I'd like to work with you to have this fixed in a future BIOS update. This could cause a less computer savy person to RMA their board or write a nasty review. 

Edited by yue0707 - 12 Jul 2017 at 2:29am
sobekite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sobekite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 5:43am
I'm experiencing something very similar to what you described with bios revision 2.50 on AB350M pro4. 

After updating to the new bios, I am completely unable to post after setting any kind of OC options for my CPU. My ram is running at it's rated 2400 and haven't tried to OC it. [without OC changes / normal auto it will post without issues]

If I change from auto to manual in OC tweaker it just don't post after saving changes and exiting. It hangs on a black screen similar to how you described. I haven't let it just sit there so I'm not sure if Windows would eventually boot, as i assumed it didn't post period. 

I haven't messed with Advanced Boot Training or the HD UEFI options you described, but like you I have to reset cmos from the jumper each time I get this black screen hang. It's forced me to OC only from Ryzen Master / wait for next bios update. 

Does this sound similar in any fashion? I will take a look at changing those options you described. 

Edited by sobekite - 12 Jul 2017 at 5:43am
R 1400 (@3.8)
AB350M Pro4 (2.50)
MSI RX580 4G
yue0707 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yue0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 6:54am
Yeah this is a issue with AGESA 1.0.0.6 on a lot of B-Series motherboards. Not just ASRock, but my Gigabyte GAB350 Gaming 3 had the same exact issue when changing anything in the bios. CPU or RAM. This happened after Gigabyte released the new AGESA firmware that these boards use as well.

It has something to do with RAM and Firmware I believe, after a failed OC try disconnecting your power from your PC and discharge for 15 secs and let it sit for 20 or so minutes to let the RAM fully reset. Then jump the cmos and try again, this time disable the AMD Boot Learning feature.

I had actually overclocked my RAM from 2400 to 3200MHz @1.4v and it ran pretty stable. Then I went to go reboot and it kept doing that on off on off thing and booted. Sometimes it will reset the cmos and other times it won't and says the OC has been made. But windows tells a different story.

If you want to OC your CPU, check on the support page for the AB350M Pro 4 and theres a ASRock OC tool that you can use that does pretty well. It doesnt apply the OC until the program loads at startup so it gets around the whole mess the UEFI gets itself in. The only drawback being you cant adjust RAM timing or freq from it. Only voltage. However the CPU clock and voltage can be adjusted instantly without restarting and works just fine.

Works better than Ryzen Master for this board lol.

Edited by yue0707 - 12 Jul 2017 at 6:56am
yue0707 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yue0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 6:59am
Here is the link to the ASRock A Tuning tool. Id also reccomend adjusting CPU fan speeds from it too as for some reason it doesnt kick up the voltage when things start getting hot. This tool will work to adjust fan speed to keep the CPU cool.

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Utility/A-Tuning/A-Tuning(v3.0.138).zip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic