ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Downgrade BIOS AB350M PRO4 to 2.40?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yue0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downgrade BIOS AB350M PRO4 to 2.40?
    Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 7:31am
Hello all,

Would it be possible to downgrade my BIOS from ver. 2.50 to 2.40? AGESA 1.0.0.6 is having major issues overclocking with Manufacturer listed RAM (Kingston Hyper X Fury)on my system. I can't overclock via BIOS for CPU/MEM. I just get the failed boot cycling (3 times) and it posts again to Windows with default settings (even though in the BIOS, they are still changed to their OC settings). Yes I do know the stable settings I had from 2.40, its not a user issue with pushing a OC too far. This will happen with even the most mild of overclocks and timing adjustments. I basically have a completely locked board.

I have come to understand the new BIOS updates from not only ASRock but Gigabyte also (I traded my GAB350 Gaming 3 for the AB350M PRO4) have been experiencing issues applying Memory and sometimes and in my case, CPU overclocks.

I did not have this issue with the 2.40 BIOS and would like to go back if ASRock will not do something to fix or revert the changes. I understand they are busy with Intels X299-SCAM platform and hyper-threading issues. I would just like to do some mild CPU/MEM OC's like I was able to do before.

ASRock, also please disable the boot to HD BIOS by default. Some GPU display interfaces are not compatible with the feature and cause the screen to go black when entering the BIOS while using DisplayPort (my RX470 only has DisplayPort on it).

If a fix cannot be achieved, I will be returning this board to Microcenter and choosing another brand or replacing the one I currently have and keep it at 2.40.

Edited by yue0707 - 13 Jul 2017 at 8:12am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 7:55am
yue0707, the chances of communicating with ASRock through the forums is very slim.  I recommend you open a service ticket and tell them your concerns and requests.  I see no reason you cannot go back to BIOS 2.40.  You can always come back or go forward.  AGESA 1.0.0.6a is due shortly and may help your problems.  If you want help with your problems, please post your system components and the OC you are attempting.  I am not into OCing, but plenty people here are.
I, too, have an RX470 and use DP and have seen no problems you describe.  I also do not know what you mean by:
Quote boot to HD BIOS

My RX470 has three DPs and one HDMI and I suspect yours does too.  Please look closely, they are very similar looking.
I am curious why all the

[URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL][URL=][/URL]

If you use the Preview function, you will see this is not working.
Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
yue0707 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yue0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 8:07am
Okay, well it could be something with this Samsung 24" 144hz gaming monitor. Does anyone know what refresh rate it attempts at 1920x1080? It only supports 60Hz, 120Hz, and 144hz @1080p.

The monitor also has a setting to tell the GPU what refresh rate it needs to be preset to when it turns on, perhaps going to 60Hz will fix the issue?

I would have a sneaking suspicion a UEFI loading its graphics via the GPU may not have support for booting at 144hz.

HD BIOS is a feature on the ASRock AB350M PRO4 under "Advanced" that forces your BIOS to boot at your monitors native preset resolution/refresh rate settings I believe.

Seeing as how that's 1920x1080@144hz I'm really not sure if the UEFI BIOS supports that refresh rate, so i'll enable that feature again and force the monitor to boot at 1920x1080@60Hz.

Thanks!

Edited by yue0707 - 13 Jul 2017 at 8:12am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 10:45am
Originally posted by yue0707 yue0707 wrote:

Hello all,

Would it be possible to downgrade my BIOS from ver. 2.50 to 2.40? AGESA 1.0.0.6 is having major issues overclocking with Manufacturer listed RAM (Kingston Hyper X Fury)on my system. I can't overclock via BIOS for CPU/MEM. I just get the failed boot cycling (3 times) and it posts again to Windows with default settings (even though in the BIOS, they are still changed to their OC settings). Yes I do know the stable settings I had from 2.40, its not a user issue with pushing a OC too far. This will happen with even the most mild of overclocks and timing adjustments. I basically have a completely locked board.

I have come to understand the new BIOS updates from not only ASRock but Gigabyte also (I traded my GAB350 Gaming 3 for the AB350M PRO4) have been experiencing issues applying Memory and sometimes and in my case, CPU overclocks.

I did not have this issue with the 2.40 BIOS and would like to go back if ASRock will not do something to fix or revert the changes. I understand they are busy with Intels X299-SCAM platform and hyper-threading issues. I would just like to do some mild CPU/MEM OC's like I was able to do before.

ASRock, also please disable the boot to HD BIOS by default. Some GPU display interfaces are not compatible with the feature and cause the screen to go black when entering the BIOS while using DisplayPort (my RX470 only has DisplayPort on it).

If a fix cannot be achieved, I will be returning this board to Microcenter and choosing another brand or replacing the one I currently have and keep it at 2.40.

You can easily change your AB350M Pro4 board's UEFI/BIOS version to any version that is available for your board. Nothing will stop you from doing so, and it will not cause any problem. This is in general true for any ASRock mother board, with a few exceptions.

Examples of the exceptions are the Intel 100 series chipset/Skylake processor boards that can be used with Kaby Lake processors, when paired with the specific Kaby Lake processor compatible UEFI/BIOS versions. If a user of one of these boards with a Kaby Lake processor and Kaby Lake compatible UEFI/BIOS version, later changed to a Skylake only compatible version, the PC would not start. This is also true for Intel X99 boards and Broadwell processors, as well as Intel X79 boards.

You current issue with UEFI version 2.50 with AGESA 1.0.0.6 is strictly a memory compatibility or memory OC issue, and not at all related to your CPU OC. The triple start and stop cycle during POST is the AM4 Advance Boot Training feature attempting to train your memory to work at your attempted memory OC, which is failing with AGESA 1.0.0.6. Any Ryzen user that has over clocked their memory has most likely experienced this with each UEFI/AGESA version, I certainly have. I also use memory that is supposedly specifically designed for Ryzen, G.SKILL FlareX. I have that happen with the first or latest UEFI/BIOS version, if I try a memory OC above 2933. Disable the AM4 Advance Boot Training feature if you don't feel it is helping you, or configure the number of cycle attempts to a smaller number. Both can be configured in the UEFI/BIOS.

The AGESA microcode updates that are supplied solely by AMD, and whose behavior is solely determined by AMD, are updates and fixes for Ryzen's memory support and compatibility. Unfortunately, the terms "support" and "compatibility" are assumed to mean that any random DDR4 memory model will become Ryzen compatible and/or become easier to over clock. While I understand why that is believed to be the case, the reality is it is not the case.

As new AGESA microcode update appear, and are dialing in and tightening up Ryzen's DDR4 memory compatibility (compatibility meaning the memory that is compatible with the Ryzen memory controller, not necessarily making the Ryzen memory controller compatible with more memory models) we are beginning to see what appears to be some DDR4 memory models being left behind from a support aspect. Meaning they no longer work as well with the new AGESA version than they did with the previous AGESA version.

Ryzen users that experience reduced memory compatibility are interpreting this as a problem with the new UEFI itself, or the AGESA microcode. While it is very difficult if not impossible for the user to know exactly what is happening, IMO we are simply seeing Ryzen's memory support being finally sorted out, or starting to be sorted out. That includes reducing the memory OC capability for some models of DDR4 memory, or even causing some models of DDR4 memory to no longer at all with Ryzen. That you have experienced the former yourself with boards from two different manufactures indicates that is the unfortunate, but likely situation.

How you OC your memory with Ryzen is very important. If you are simply applying the XMP profile of your memory, you have not configured it appropriately for a Ryzen system. Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 was designed for Intel X99 systems, the first use of DDR4 memory in PCs:

https://support.kingston.com/us/hyperx/certifications

You have not supplied any details of how you OC your memory, or have the full model number of your memory, so we cannot comment upon it beyond the few basic things I mentioned.

The Full HD UEFI feature/option has been used for several years now, on many different AMD and Intel platforms. While I agree it would be better to have this option disabled by default, it is actually very rare that a monitor cannot be used with it at its default setting. Personally, I have seven different monitors models (LG, Dell) and a small (40") HD TV that I use with my PCs, all with ASRock boards, and I have never had a problem with the Full HD UEFI feature being enabled. User reports of problems with Full HD UEFI are rare, and mainly associated with using TVs as monitors.
sobekite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sobekite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 10:20pm
I'm in a similar situation as yue0707, but in my situation it's due to any changes to the CPU overclock from auto to manual. 

I have 2400 Ram running stock and without any advanced configuration, it auto'd to it's rated speed. Whenever I try to change CPU freq / Voltage control in OCTwaeker I get the boot loop. Screen stays black like Yue0707 described. Note: Using a 1080p 75 HZ freesync monitor. Always have to CMOS reset after these attempts on 2.50. 

As for attempted frequencies and voltages for these CPU OC attempts: 3.4 at 1.28v, 3.6 at 1.3v 3.6 at 1.35v. All of these should be easily met imo, as I can OC to to 3.9 at 1.35v on this chip. 

Do you think this could be a general bios issue of just completely failing in regards to applying these settings?  I love this lil board but the OC issue is worrying, as it seems to be an issue with their bios and not ram (unless there is an interaction i'm unaware of.) I was able to hit 3.7 easily on the shipped bios version.

Edit: Using these 2x in dual config Ballistix Sport LT Gray 8GB DDR4-2400 UDIMM (BLS8G4D240FSB

If my ram has booted at 2400 dual channel on every bios revision (rated speed), should I still be concerned that ram could be the issue? 

Edited by sobekite - 13 Jul 2017 at 10:27pm
R 1400 (@3.8)
AB350M Pro4 (2.50)
MSI RX580 4G
DanielThomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielThomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 2:29pm
Hello guys, I'm Daniel and gaming is my passion. I have 144Hz gaming monitor to play my favorite games. My monitor is one of the best 144Hz gaming monitor. I like it very much. it works really well. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic