ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't Overclock at all

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Zschmitt95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zschmitt95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't Overclock at all
    Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 7:28am
I'm having a similar issue now with mine, except it's only when using fixed voltage or offset of +.1 or more

It's stopping me at 3.9ghz
jmangz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmangz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 10:05pm
Before Windows boot.

I have four drives, 1 m.2, 1 ssd, 2 HDDS. They are all recognized. Windows is installed on the m.2 and my ssd has Windows from old build as well.  

I actually think it is one of my HDD that is giving me the error. Whether updating chipset is related, I don't know, but it didn't give me any problems until I did it. I'm able to boot now, but I didn't really do anything. It has my Steam library on it and three of my games aren't recognized and I can't seem to install them. If you guys any ideas on how to fix this that would really help. I've run chkdsk, CrystalDiskInfo and disk management, they say it's in Good health, so I don't know what's going on. It seems to be plugged in fine. The disk usage is at 100% when I'm trying to install these games by the way, not sure if that helps.

https://imgur.com/a/8RrKq Could any of these be causing the issue? I installed these when I installed the chipset.

As for the OC, I'm not using it to OC. I just used it to check the overclock. I've linked one thread in my original post with other people having the problem, and you can Google more of the same problem as well.

Edited by jmangz - 18 Jul 2017 at 10:45pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by jmangz jmangz wrote:

Well, installed chipset, restarted, now and getting error "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." And restarting does nothing; same error...

That is crazy, and makes no sense. Must be a coincidence, but not enough information to even know what happened.

Where do you see this error? Is it from Windows? Or before Windows boots?

How many drives are connected to the board? Are they all recognized in the UEFI/BIOS? Or in Windows if you can run it, not sure from your description.

Is your OS drive connected to the AMD SATA ports, or the ASMedia SATA ports? Your board has both.

I just installed my X370 Killer SLI/ac board's 3.00 UEFI with AGESA 1.0.0.6a, and my CPU over clock works the same as it always has.

Also, I have never seen the 1.5GHz "bug".  I just had a Windows 10 update applied today, and regardless of the Power Plan I select, my CPU speed remains at its OC at all times.

The one important thing to know is, I don't use RyzenMaster to OC. I think it does something with the UEFI/BIOS settings, possibly the P States, that causes the drop in CPU speed.

jmangz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmangz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 8:44am
Well, installed chipset, restarted, now and getting error "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." And restarting does nothing; same error...
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 12:30am

I'm not at home now, so I'll have to try later, but you're saying if I install this and change to this "Ryzen Balanced," it will fix the problem?

>FYI, these should be the VERY first anything you install after a fresh OS install.

Are you saying I should reinstall my Windows? Personally, I'd rather not as I've already installed a lot of things, but if you say I should then...

On a side note, could you tell me if what this guy is doing is correct? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Tw-wcT7o4 Specifically, just the first 5 minutes. He changes a couple of things other than the voltage and frequency. He also doesn't seem to be using latest BIOS, as I have CPU voltage under the frequency as well, where as he needs to change the setting at the bottom?

No. But the chipset drivers should be the 1st thing after the OS install finishes. You're good. Just d/l and install them, rebooting immediately after the install.

Oh heck no. That vid was shot back in March. We are light years ahead of there now concerning Ryzen BIOSes. Ignore it.

When you get back home PM me saying so and well come back here for some quick back and forths. But I have to lay down as I've felt better than I do now.

In the mean time, search using my UN and back a week or a pinch more you'll find some good starting out settings I posted that will usually get you higher there.

jmangz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmangz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 12:00am
I'm not at home now, so I'll have to try later, but you're saying if I install this and change to this "Ryzen Balanced," it will fix the problem?

>FYI, these should be the VERY first anything you install after a fresh OS install.

Are you saying I should reinstall my Windows? Personally, I'd rather not as I've already installed a lot of things, but if you say I should then...

On a side note, could you tell me if what this guy is doing is correct? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Tw-wcT7o4 Specifically, just the first 5 minutes. He changes a couple of things other than the voltage and frequency. He also doesn't seem to be using latest BIOS, as I have CPU voltage under the frequency as well, where as he needs to change the setting at the bottom?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 11:46pm
Meh, if you don't remember, odds are they aren't.

One sure fire way to verify is look at the Windows Power Plan. If you see a Ryzen Balanced, and that you did NOT install ONLY the Balanced plan, you have at least v17.10.

At any rate, let's have you (re-)install them. Regardless.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Scroll down to the lower middle column,  "AMD Chipset, AHCI, USB 3.0 and RAID Drivers"

FYI, these should be the VERY first anything you install after a fresh OS install.
jmangz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmangz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 11:36pm
Yes, I installed latest BIOS from website and double checked with internet flashing.

Windows 10.

>Have you installed the 17.10 Chipset Drivers?

Er, not sure? I installed Windows updates and ASrock live updates. (Except the HD Audio update doesn't go away on the live update program, but that's another topic).

*edit* How do I check chipset version?

Edited by jmangz - 17 Jul 2017 at 11:38pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 11:30pm
Also, what ver of Windows?

Have you installed the 17.10 Chipset Drivers?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 11:29pm

Overclocking is broken. I have 1700 and x370 Taichi, but I'm reading other people have the same problem on different boards. I've tried three different things. Going with simple 3800ghz and 1.37v.

1. I manually set frequency and voltage of CPU in BIOS to be higher, but when I boot into Windows it's stuck at 1.55ghz. It shows it as proper frequency in BIOS, but CPUZ and Ryzen Master show it as 1.55ghz.

2. If I leave voltage to Auto and change frequency only, my display doesn't turn on. 

3. If I try to overclock in Ryzen Master, it just works until the computer reboots, then it's back to original settings. However, I get an error anyway. (https://imgur.com/a/GkMuj)

People are saying this is fixed with other mobo manufacturers https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6ngb22/r71700_oc_with_msi_15ghz_bug_auto_vcore_underclock/

Any idea if ASrock is working on this?

Are you working using BIOS 3.00?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic