FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen and p-state overclocking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ryzen and p-state overclocking
    Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 4:46am
I've noticed people are asking questions about and having issues with p-state overclocking, so I thought I'd share this video I came across the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzxn1hS7Nq4

Here's the gist of the video: At idle, even an R7 1700 overclocked to 3.9 GHz will only consume roughly 10 W more than a stock R7 1700. During heavy workloads it doesn't matter if the overclocked CPU is using p-states or not, since it'll anyways be using all its capacity. During medium loads (say, 6 threads) the 3.9 GHz OC consumes about 40 W more than a stock CPU, so the difference between a p-state OC and a "traditional" OC will be less than 40 W. There are far better ways to save electricity, so using p-states is probably not worth the trouble - especially if you're having trouble with p-state overclocking.

Sure, testing things just for the heck of it is part of being an enthusiast and if there's no practical difference in performance in your use case, then that power saving - however small - is essentially free and you might as well take it. Just know that if your motherboard doesn't support it well (or at all) at the moment, you're not missing out on anything big.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic