ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x399 Taichi with TR wont install Server 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 5:39am
yeah that was the first thing I tried when 2012 gave me issues. because of the exact same article actually

Edited by tombmedia - 05 Sep 2017 at 5:40am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 7:20am
OK, tombmedia, thanks.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
CPB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 1:10pm
Hi, This seems to be the trouble im having but with linux install. I did have linux install, borked up something and had to do a fresh install now i cant get anything but the installer boot animation. Ive tried pretty much 3 usbs, 4 diff linux os iso, tried rufus, lil usb and unetbootin. Removed ram, diff usb ports and downgraded the bios version still have a giant brick atm. 
CPB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 2:35pm
Not sure if this might be the same for windows and linux. Worth a look. 

mharidas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mharidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 12:45am
Originally posted by tombmedia tombmedia wrote:

I get an initial boot off the thumbdrive, then a grey screen with the "Loading Files" message and a white progressbar which loads twice and then flips to either a windows logo or the asrock logo (depending on my approach) and from there  it just hangs. I no longer see any drive activity nor does it read anymore from the usb drive. I've left it for days and no activity.

Other weird thing is in that state I can hit the power button and it just turns right off, so it doesn't look like the setup os is loading at all.

MB post codes are off at this point as it has booted something but not enough to continue.

Are you running off a USB with the main wim file split into two or more SWM files? MS states their Windows 10 and Server OS setup executable does not support split SWMs at the moment.

I had to install Win 10 first and then upgrade on-top of that but soon after the first reboot into the Windows Server 2016 installation process I was faced with the similar boot logo pause. The solution to my issues was to disable IOMMU from within the BIOS. This ensures installation completes and the OS can reboot without issue any number of times there after.

tombmedia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2017 at 10:05am
Can confirm. The issue with booting off the USB key is no longer an issue with IOMMU disabled in the BIOS. Running more tests to see if this is the issue with SVM on 2012.
Kyuu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyuu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 12:36am
Can confirm as well, neither WS2016 installer or OS after installation works with IOMMU enabled. Curious tiny detail though, when I have virtualization enabled, it goes just a bit further. 
- Virtualization off + IOMMU on = Windows logo freeze permanently
- Virtualization on + IOMMU on = Windows logo with loading effect, and soon onto the forementioned BSOD > also ended up clearing all BIOS settings (?)

Sidenote though, was happy to see that the Win10 drivers for onboard RAID work just fine with WS2016. I plan to try and run test virtualization workloads that anyways come off SAN, so performance on the boot drive doesn't matter much, two old SSD's will do just fine. Waiting to see the M.2 RAID option promised later.

This is my first Asrock motherboard and first AMD hardware of any kind for many, many years. Despite these little issues, I'm quite pleased with what I've seen so far.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 1:57am
Thanks all.  I also discovered that W10 versions below RS2 (less than 1703) will not install without IOMMU disabled.  I thought this may have been the Server 2016 problem.  I have discovered another aspect of having SVM enabled.  On my system (specs in signature) only the USB 3.1 on the rear of machine work with SVM enabled.  I have opened a ticket with ASRock concerning this.  I personally think TR has a ways to go.  The AGESA/BIOS is way down level compared to my R7 1800X.  I am resolved to wait AMD/ASRock out.  I have a very stable system but cannot get the memory I want because the BIOS/AGESA will not allow it to run.  Another work around worth trying to avoid disabling IOMMU is to boot the latest version of WinPE and do a flat install (install from a drive - works for me)  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic