ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Serial Port not working on new QC5000-ITX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
thermo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thermo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serial Port not working on new QC5000-ITX
    Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 8:22am
I suspected the wiring and got a breakout serial port where I wired each connector to the pin on the serial port. Same issue, so it isn't the wiring.
The only option in the bios is the port address and the irq, which doesn't make a difference whatever I choose...
I need it for a headless linux system where I can have a login console on the serial port. Saves me having to lug a monitor when I need console access with no network.
The thread here made me think this could still be an unfixed problem:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=188994
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 5:46am
I take it you have connected a COM port ribbon to the serial port header on the board. Its been a while since I have used a serial port for anything but I do remember sometimes seeing PCs come in with com port problems where the ribbon was non standard and wired wrong or was connected backwards. There is a key pin so it shouldn't be possible to connect backwards but in case yours didn't have the blocked pin slot you could check to see if its reversed, usually there is a colored edge to the ribbon that must align to pin 1.

If that isn't the problem you could try playing with the settings in bios, you should be able to assign different addresses though I am guessing you have already done this. 

Out of curiosity, what are you using the serial port for?
thermo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thermo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 3:03am
Hello,
I have a new QC5000-ITX and cannot for the life of me get the serial port working.  At best it will receive some garbled characters but will not send anything.
Is anyone else having any issues with their onboard serial port?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic