ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock x99 OC Guide?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock x99 OC Guide?
    Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 7:36am
Hey guys, anyone know of any Asrock x99 oc guides floating around the net? I've a Fatal1ty x99m Killer 3.1 en route and would like to do some reading on how to oc the 2011-v3 with a guide specific to Asrock. 

Thanks!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 1:20pm
Can't say I've ever seen an ASRock specific Haswell-E over clocking guide.

Any Haswell-E over clocking guide will be relevant for any X99 board in general. ASRock does not use any unusual terms for the UEFI options, although one or two things work differently than the options on other manufactures boards.

The LLC option for the CPU Input Voltage (Vccin) in ASRock's UEFIs have Level 1 as the highest level of LLC compensation. Other boards have level 1 as the least amount of LLC compensation. The numbering systems are reversed, no big deal and the graph in the ASRock UEFI clearly shows which level number is greater or lessor.

If you want "cookbook" type instructions, just use the built in OC profiles, read the guides you find, and adjust them as best you can.
jpqy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpqy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 5:12pm
Yes..it would be great to have a nice overclocking guide!
There are so many settings that can be tuned or when you change a setting you need to add a other one also or your system is not stable anymore..then you say,it's better to leave it on Auto

I just build a i7 5960x with Asrock X99 OC Formula
And it was one off the easiest overclocking i have done! even i don't use 90% off the possibilities with all these settings..
i just started with Multiplier..i put it on 39 ,so i get 39x100=3.9Ghz(save & exit) for the rest i don't touch anything..
system reboot..open cpuz and i see 1,005V Vcore ..my first reaction was wow so low!
Then i say ok..let me try a pre-setting in Bios and try 4.0Ghz
Ok again save & exit..reboot..open cpuz and see 1,213V ..this is much higher now

Everybody has their own way to stress the cpu..like using Prime95,Cinebench,and so on..
But i use Chess engines..as i'm a chess-engine tester and are my daily programs who whole day stress the cpu @100%..did before tests on other systems who where Prime stable but not Chess stable or opposite..for me most important ,it has to be Chess stable of course..so if you have a program you use daily and use 100% cpu..well go for that one..with these  bench tools (who are great) you never use in your daily tasks!

Back to my overclock..i have
3.9Ghz -> 1,005V
4.0Ghz -> 1,213V pre-setting OC in Bios

Asrock gives a nice tool Formula Drive..i go to OC Tweaker
because i want to try with lower Vcore to see how long he will let my chess program works
and with OC Tweaker it's easy to changes settings in real time..
So..i go with Vcore lower ,i try 1,20V run Chess @100% cpu..a few min. looking good..
i try 1,19 same thing..and i reduce Vcore till 1,14V still working fine ,cpuz shows me under 100% load 1,155V
Ok..i reboot..go back to Bios and put Vcore at 1,14 and Multi at 40 (40x100) as my 4.0Ghz working without any crash or problem.. save&exit
Test a few chess engines..everything still looks okay..
I open again Fromule Drive -> OC Tweaker
I like this 1,14V ..so why not try higher my Multi..i put it on 41 =4.1Ghz apply..check cpuz ,of course i open always CoreTemp to keep a eye on my temps! cpuz shows me 4.1Ghz with my set Vcore at 1.14V and see still @100% load 1,155V ..good
Try Multi 42 = 4.2Ghz still good..nice

You can continue like that till your system crashes..then go back to last settings where your system stay stable..

I go back to Bios ,set Multi 42 now ..Vcore still 1,14V
Now i disable Hyper Threading or HT ..because i want to use only my real 8cores!
Because threads are not good for my testings..chess gives misleading results..but okay is only for me..
I know when i disable HT i get lower Temps and lower Vcore is needed..so means i can go higher!
save&exit
Reboot open CoreTemp & cpuz & Formula Drive->OC Tweaker
I try 43 ,44 and 45 (45x100) = 4.5Ghz still with 1,14V ..testing and run great
I reach my goal ,before my build i was thinking and hope to see a OC from 4.5Ghz
But with so low Vcore i had never seen before in my other builds!

Again same thing..when you think looks good..put these settings in Bios..even you can save them in Bios as your own pre-setting.

Okay..save&exit ,reboot
CoreTemp ,Cpuz
i have what i want..but still my system has not crashed yet!
Open Formula Drive->OC Tweaker
I lower Vcore.. 1,13 ..1,12 ..1,11 still working..then 1,10 ..and system crashes after a time!
So..i know i have still some space with my Vcore
But i have many chess engines..and they are not all equal in stressing the cpu..
I want to try the most stressing engines to see if system is really stable..after 3 days off testings
i get a engine who let my system crash..so i have just to put Vcore higher to make it stable again.
Now i'm running @4.5Ghz with 1,16V Vcore 8cores 100% (HT Off) for a good week i think with no single crash!

When i read on other forums they use easy 1,30 - 1,40V Vcore then i must be happy with this 1,16V..before my build i thought to be safe with 1,25V to max 1,30V and to reach my 4,5Ghz (HT Off) and the cpu did it better then i thought!

Oh yes..my Temps..highest i have seen..is 60°C when it was here 25°C outside
now today highest Core Temp is 55°C ..cooled with Corsair Hydro H110i GTX with just Standard fan-speed..So there i have also still a lot space and different speeds to put it higher..

So,my overclocking i have only changed Multi & Vcore and put memory on XMP..that's it
On memory i have not touch anything yet..it shows now they are running @2666Mhz ,but these are 3200Mhz memory..to get there i think i have to change BLCK..put it higher and lower Multi to see my 4.5Ghz back..but then i need more Vcore..Temps will be higher..for same speed
as chess is pure calculatings and need cpu power..memory doesn't do much..it's important of course..but i see almost no difference at the cost the use higher vcore&temps..

But sure..there are maybe other settings that can make this system run faster for my chess testings!
I can put Vcore at 1,25V and go higher with Multi..so see how high i can go till it crashes..
And of course if we had a nice guide for these motherbords,i'm sure we can get more out off our systems.

I had always Asus MB before..this is my first Asrock..well i'm very happy with it Wink
Ok..you need also luck to get a great OC cpu ,makes it complete..
Now i want to run a time like this,that i know the system a little better,read more forum to see is it safe enough to go higher..else i just stay with my 4.5Ghz

JP.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 2:59am
Your CPU has a good OC at low voltages so far. You could safely try 4.5GHz up to 1.3V, but you may not need that much.

Some people go beyond 1.3V apparently fine, but that is a personal decision.

I suggest trying the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility as another tool to OC in Windows. You can find it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

It has more options than OC Tweaker, and you can monitor your CPU and core temperatures, CPU voltage (really the VID) and other useful things. The CPU throttling reasons are shown and it is great to verify that they don't happen. You can also save OC profiles and apply them whenever you want to use them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic