ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cannot get 3200MHz on DDR4.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bloodynewbie86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cannot get 3200MHz on DDR4.
    Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 8:15pm
Hello guys,

this is my first time posting here. I have run into issues with my DDR4 bus speed on the ASRock Z270 Gaming K6 - it's not increasing beyond 2133MHz. Please bare with me not having a lot of background knowledge, I am a newbie regarding overclocking. But it looks quite interesting!

My system:

- ASRock Z270 Gaming K6 on the latest 2.10 bios, XMP switch to "auto", Fast Boot enabled.
- i7 7700k, using provided auto-OC from the UFEI to 4.8GHz (shows x45 CPU ratio in F-Stream Tuning).
- RAM is G-Skill V DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 2x 8GB, F4-3200C16D-16GVKB (http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-16gvkb). The RAM is listed as compatible for this board on the GSkill page. I put it into A1 B1.

Now I went into the UFEI to increase the RAM speed to 3200MHz by using the XMP2.0 Profile. I selected "Profile 1" in the main menu, then went to "Advanced -> OC Tweaker" and again selected XMP2.0

What programs report:
F-Stream Tuning: DRAM voltage shows 1.360V , and that the RAM is mounted in A1 & B1 (slot 1 and 3)
Win10's CMD's "wmic memorychip get speed" shows 2133MHz
Cpu-Z tab Memory shows DRAM Frequency 1077Mhz, NB Frequency 4242MHz, 15-15-15-36
Cpu-Z tab SPD does not show any RAM at all on any of the slots.

Do you guys have any idea what I am doing wrong with the RAM? What can I try to get the promised 3200MHz or even just 3000MHz?

Thank you in advance & best regards

bloodynewbie86

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by bloodynewbie86 bloodynewbie86 wrote:

Hello guys,

this is my first time posting here. I have run into issues with my DDR4 bus speed on the ASRock Z270 Gaming K6 - it's not increasing beyond 2133MHz. Please bare with me not having a lot of background knowledge, I am a newbie regarding overclocking. But it looks quite interesting!

My system:

- ASRock Z270 Gaming K6 on the latest 2.10 bios, XMP switch to "auto", Fast Boot enabled.
- i7 7700k, using provided auto-OC from the UFEI to 4.8GHz (shows x45 CPU ratio in F-Stream Tuning).
- RAM is G-Skill V DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 2x 8GB, F4-3200C16D-16GVKB (http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-16gvkb). The RAM is listed as compatible for this board on the GSkill page. I put it into A1 B1.

Now I went into the UFEI to increase the RAM speed to 3200MHz by using the XMP2.0 Profile. I selected "Profile 1" in the main menu, then went to "Advanced -> OC Tweaker" and again selected XMP2.0

What programs report:
F-Stream Tuning: DRAM voltage shows 1.360V , and that the RAM is mounted in A1 & B1 (slot 1 and 3)
Win10's CMD's "wmic memorychip get speed" shows 2133MHz
Cpu-Z tab Memory shows DRAM Frequency 1077Mhz, NB Frequency 4242MHz, 15-15-15-36
Cpu-Z tab SPD does not show any RAM at all on any of the slots.

Do you guys have any idea what I am doing wrong with the RAM? What can I try to get the promised 3200MHz or even just 3000MHz?

Thank you in advance & best regards

bloodynewbie86

First, your memory should be in the A2 and B2 slots. Are you seeing the full 16GB shown in CPU-Z?

Very strange that CPU-Z does not show any memory in the slots. I assume you are selecting a slot with that option on the upper left of the SPD screen?

I assume you are only using the Advanced option of the UEFI/BIOS? If so, the Main screen is display only, there is no way to select any options on the Main screen. It sounds like you are using Easy Mode? If you are, you must select the Save and Exit icon at the top of the screen (third icon from the left) to apply the XMP profile.

Using the Advanced mode of the UEFI, from the OC Tweaker screen, you must be in the DRAM Configuration screen to select the XMP profile with the Load XMP Setting option.

Then from the Exit screen, you must select the Save and Exit option to apply any changes you have made.

Any memory speed above 2400 for your CPU is a memory over clock, and not guaranteed. But 3200 should be easily possible with your board and processor.

Edited by parsec - 23 Aug 2017 at 11:13pm
bloodynewbie86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bloodynewbie86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 1:34am
Thank you very much for the reply.

Changes made:

Put memory into A2 B2.

Then went into UFEI -> OC Tweaker -> DRAM Configuration -> XMP Profile 1 (XMP 2.0), Save & Exit. The K6's Auto XMP Switch still active.

Upon next boot, 4 Beeps. Dr Debug showed "55". No Post.

Restarted again, Posts, Boots into Win10. No Beep, No Error Code from Dr Debug. Ram Speed still at at 2133MHz. They show up in Cpu-Z's SPD tab now.

DRAM voltage in F-Stream Tuning shows 1.350V

Edited by bloodynewbie86 - 24 Aug 2017 at 1:34am
bloodynewbie86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bloodynewbie86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 8:09am
I managed to clock them to 3200MHz manually, after checking the RAM on my friend's board - the bars did work correctly there.

Seems like the ASRock Z270 Gaming K6 does not support/pull the XMP 2.0 of the F4-3200C16D-16GVKB (yet), even though it is listed. Maybe with a future Bios Update?

Anyway, thanks for reading, best regards!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 9:57am
Originally posted by bloodynewbie86 bloodynewbie86 wrote:

I managed to clock them to 3200MHz manually, after checking the RAM on my friend's board - the bars did work correctly there.

Seems like the ASRock Z270 Gaming K6 does not support/pull the XMP 2.0 of the F4-3200C16D-16GVKB (yet), even though it is listed. Maybe with a future Bios Update?

Anyway, thanks for reading, best regards!

Glad you have it working, although you had to set the memory (timings??) manually.

Are you saying your memory works at 3200 on your board, or on your friends board? That is not clear to me.

When your board failed to POST after applying the XMP profile, the UEFI/BIOS automatically set the memory speed and timings to the default 2133 settings. That is normal, so the board can start normally. Otherwise you would be required to clear the CMOS/BIOS in order to get back a system that starts.

I forgot to tell you that whenever you move or change hardware like memory, you should clear the CMOS/BIOS when you perform the change.

I also forgot to tell you that using the Fast Boot feature actually causes a fast POST to occur, which skips some POST tests and procedures. That can cause side affects, such as memory speed issues. I should have also suggest enabling the memory training option in the UEFI/BIOS, but that is only available in the Advanced UEFI/BIOS.

Your Ripjaws V memory model is shared among several different systems, whose memory settings may not be identical (z170, Z270, X299.)

http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c16d-16gvkb

I have the same problem with G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 memory used with my ASRock Z170 board, I cannot use the XMP profile supplied with that memory. But I can use the XMP profile of my G.SKILL TridentZ 3600 memory with my ASRock Z270 Gaming K6, yes I have the same board.

The XMP profile is simply a convenience feature for configuring memory settings, instead of doing it manually. Using the XMP profile also causes the memory related voltages VCCSA and VCCIO to be changed. Did you change those from their default values when you manually configured your memory? Those voltages are only available in the Advanced UEFI. If you did not change those voltages, the default values obviously worked better.

Edited by parsec - 24 Aug 2017 at 9:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic