ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAIDXpert2 - License Level 0; Windows 10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kentiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RAIDXpert2 - License Level 0; Windows 10
    Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 10:19am
I have the ASRock X399 Professional Gamer Motherboard with the AMD RYZEN Threadripper 1950X  CPU.  I installed the OS (Windows 10 Pro) on an M.2 SSD, and I have six 10TB drives in RAID 10 for data.  I configured the RAID in the BIOS, and the array is recognized and the correct size (30TB).  

However, when I'm in Windows, the Disk Management doesn't recognize it.  I installed the latest RAIDXpert 2 from the support site, but when I launch it, it says License Level 0 - No RAID.  I can't login!

I called tech support from ASRock, but they were telling me to use the old RAID Rom, which won't work with this motherboard and/or drives this size.

Device manager showed 3 RAID devices that were unrecognized.  I had Windows search the CD that came with the motherboard, and it installed drivers called AMD-RAID Bottom Device.  

My understanding is I just need to get the RAIDXpert management to load, and then I can create the partition and start working with my drives!  

I've tried several different browsers and no luck with any of them!

Has anyone fixed this?

Thanks!

--Kent
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 10:53am
Pardon, but I'll ask this and no harm is meant.

Are you logging into RAIDXperII using UN:admin and PW:admin ?
kentiler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kentiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 10:59am
I'm trying to login with admin/admin, but it won't let me submit.  The button is disabled.  
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 11:44am
Did you run the RAIDXpert2 installation program on the OS/C: drive? Did you run it by right clicking and choosing Run as administrator?

An AM4 Ryzen board has two SATA/RAID controllers, and both of them must be set to RAID mode in order for RAIDXpert2 to work, according to its manual, and given my use of RAIDXpert2.

One is in the standard Storage Configuration screen, the other is Advanced\AMD CBS\Promontory Common options. Your second RAID controller will probably be in a different screen, since the chipset is different, and I cannot tell from the manual which screen it is.

My board also has a third SATA controller setting, which actually does not apply to it, in the FCH Common Options screen. If your board's eight AMD SATA ports are provided just by the CPU and main chipset SATA controller, you'll only need to enable RAID in those two.

Check Device Manager, open the Storage Controllers entry. You should see at least four entries for the AMD RAID controller. I have two for AMD-RAID Bottom Device, and two for AMD-RAID Controller (storport). One of each entry for one controller.

I had to manually install the AMD RAID driver for one of the RAID controllers, the AMD Chipset installer 17.10 did not do it, at least not for AM4/Ryzen. You can try the 17.30 chipset version from AMD, which I found after I updated the driver manually. That would be the SATA Floppy Image ver:8.2.0.24 (believe it or not) from your board's download page. I installed this driver via the Update driver option of the controller's DM Properties.

AMD 17.30 Chipset driver:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

If you find one or more AMD RAID Controller DM entries under a different entry, then it is missing it's driver. Windows 10 does not have that driver built in.

Having both RAID controllers set to RAID is required for RAIDXpert2, as well as the AMD RAID driver being installed for both controllers. If that does not help you, let us know. AMD RAID is a bit finicky to work with, but it does work.

kentiler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kentiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 12:01pm
Hi,
Under the BIOS, I have the standard storage configuration set to RAID Mode, and then under AMD CBS, I I don't have Promontory Common Options.  Only Zen Common Options, DF Common Options, UMC Common options, NBIO Common Options, FCH Common Options, and NTB Common Options.  The only one that had anything about RAID was FCH, and RAID was enabled.

Under Device Manager, I have 3 AMD-RAID Bottom Devices, and 3 AMD-RAID Controller (Storport).  

None of these drivers were installed automatically.  I had to tell Windows to look at the drivers folder that I created by copying the CD and downloading the updates from ASRock.  

I didn't do the floppy image, though.  I do have the 17.30 chipset from downloading from AMD.

Here's the screenshot from my RAIDXpert.  In looking at the HTML code, if the license is 0, it looks like it disables the submit button:

kentiler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kentiler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 12:05pm
Well, I couldn't login to RAIDXpert, but after Windows 10 found the last 3 controllers I do have my partition and can use it.  I do need RAIDXpert so I can get alerts when there is a problem with my drives!

Let me know what I should try next, and thank you for your help!

--Kent
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 1:01pm
I'm doing a fresh OS install as I type.

Will do.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic