ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Gaming K4 BIOS 3.30 9/14/2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X370 Gaming K4 BIOS 3.30 9/14/2017
    Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 11:30pm
For the sake of the company's reputation & for everyone with capable RAM, let's hope so.

I've pretty much reached the limits of my RAM kit, so I'm fine with what they've provided so far.

Reviews from 2012 when my kit was released showed a max overclock of 2900ish MHz, and I'm there.

Fingers crossed for everyone else!

As it stands my system is extremely smooth and running on all cylinders.

I mainly use my system as a gaming rig, so I've noticed all the little improvements thus far.

Very nice right now, although I have noticed my system needs to be restarted every couple of days or so or my frame rates in FPS games like Battlefield 1 get a little stuttery.  So I can't just leave my system on for days on end.  Minor thing, not the end of the world, could just be Windows 10 and its memory management.  It's never been perfect throughout past versions of the OS.
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 11:53pm
Yes, as others said, this is a good indicator AMD is still perfecting memory compatibility at IMC side of things.

Hope AGESA 1.0.0.7 bring us some improvements on XMP settings too.

Cheers.
R7 1700 @3.90 1.25v - GSkill TridentZ 3200c16 Hynix MFR @2933 14-16-16-32 - Fatal1ty Gaming X370 K4 - Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 - WD 256 Black M2 Nvme as Windows 10 boot drive - EVGA Gold 650W
ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 11:37pm
Ah, makes sense, thanks for the clarification.
Coffee hadn't kicked in yet. ???
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

Originally posted by ShampooCA ShampooCA wrote:

I have a feeling that information is going to go right over many novice users' heads, and the forum is going to flood with "BIOS 3.30 bricked my board, I can't boot with my RAM that could only do 2133MHz!".

Since no one bothers to check compatibility before putting stuff together these days.

Here we go!  LOL

I'm very content with my current setup on BIOS 3.00, so I won't be updating....but then again I say that everytime.  

It probably won't help my CPU overclock, but going to try for 4GHz on this one.  I'm currently stable at 3.85GHz.

Cheers to frequent BIOS updates!  :)

as i understand it 2133 will be fine
this bios update was to allow jedec 2666 to work at 2666 stock not get downclocked to 2400 or 2133 at stock setings

datonyb, you are right. This only applies to memory whose stock/JEDEC speed is 2666.

Of course setting 2133 or 2400 JEDEC speed memory automatically to 2666 would not be good, but that is not the point of this update.

This could be considered a bug fix, if JEDEC 2666 speed DDR4 memory was being downclocked automatically. But as the JEDEC/stock speed of DDR4 has evolved from 2133 to 2400, and now 2666 at least with the model of memory listed in the description, it is really an adjustment.

Since Ryzen processors support DDR4 2666 speed memory as a non-OC speed, this makes sense. But there are earlier Intel processors whose non-OC memory speed is 2133 or 2400. So the memory model in the description seems to be designed specifically for use with Ryzen processors. Which is why this is an important update.

This model of memory makes me wonder about my G.SKILL FlareX, whose JEDEC speed is 2400. Pinch

Or is this an example of the disconnect between Ryzen processor memory specs, and the products provided by memory manufactures? Memory manufactures generally don't want their products to be very specific to a platform, since they would sell fewer of them due to compatibility.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

this bios update was to allow jedec 2666 to work at 2666 stock not get downclocked to 2400 or 2133 at stock setings

Exactly, it will allow RAM that has a JEDEC 2666 profile to operate at 2666 by default. All platforms should allow RAM to work with the highest compatible JEDEC profile supported by both the RAM and the platform. Skylake (intel) supports 2133, Kaby Lake supports 2400 and now Ryzen supports 2666. These are the official frequency specs of the memory controllers built in to the CPUs in question.

If your RAM only supports JEDEC 2400 (Kaby lake spec) then it will default to that, if only 2133 then it will use that. JEDEC, unlike XMP, is automatically detected and used by the BIOS, there is no way to change what profile is used. So this update is good news, it means that stability at 2666 seems to be common enough to enable the default 2666 JEDEC profile to load. I would imagine that while stability was more problematic, this would have been defaulted to 2133 for maximum memory compatibility, the lower the frequency the higher the odds the RAM will work. 
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by ShampooCA ShampooCA wrote:

I have a feeling that information is going to go right over many novice users' heads, and the forum is going to flood with "BIOS 3.30 bricked my board, I can't boot with my RAM that could only do 2133MHz!".

Since no one bothers to check compatibility before putting stuff together these days.

Here we go!  LOL

I'm very content with my current setup on BIOS 3.00, so I won't be updating....but then again I say that everytime.  

It probably won't help my CPU overclock, but going to try for 4GHz on this one.  I'm currently stable at 3.85GHz.

[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
ket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:21pm
I really need to find the time to test some of these K4 UEFIs last one was 3.1 and that was pretty good. Still had problems running 3200MHz RAM kits though.
ShampooCA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShampooCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 9:11pm

Here we go!  LOL

Asingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 6:24pm
Will agesa 1.0.07 update come soon? 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 4:27pm
Happy to help Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic