ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97X Killer/3.1 More than 3 GPU support

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote at10ti0n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z97X Killer/3.1 More than 3 GPU support
    Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 8:47pm
I'm trying to run a system with more than 3 gpus connected via risers to the mother board but the system is not stable with more than 3 gpus running simultaneously.

Searching on various forums and sites, let me to believe there should be a "Above 4g" option that would enable more than 3 gpus to be connected, somewhere in the Advanced Configuration, but couldn't find anything.

Also another recommended setting was changing the TOLUD in BIOS, but i couldn't find that option either.

Could you please let me know where can i find a BIOS that has these options available, as i'm stuck with this motherboard supposably running 6 GPUs, but i can only run 3 at the same time.

The current bios version is 1.50.

Any input is much appreciated! Please let me know if you need more details.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by at10ti0n at10ti0n wrote:

I'm trying to run a system with more than 3 gpus connected via risers to the mother board but the system is not stable with more than 3 gpus running simultaneously.

Searching on various forums and sites, let me to believe there should be a "Above 4g" option that would enable more than 3 gpus to be connected, somewhere in the Advanced Configuration, but couldn't find anything.

Also another recommended setting was changing the TOLUD in BIOS, but i couldn't find that option either.

Could you please let me know where can i find a BIOS that has these options available, as i'm stuck with this motherboard supposably running 6 GPUs, but i can only run 3 at the same time.

The current bios version is 1.50.

Any input is much appreciated! Please let me know if you need more details.

The system is "not stable", meaning it starts but has issues afterwards, or it won't start/boot with six video cards connected?

I imagine it would be the usual inability to start/boot with six video cards connected.

The number of PCIe slots in a board does not mean it can "run" that number of video cards at the same time, in the usual way. Obviously this is a bitcoin mining PC.

Both the Above 4G Decoding and TOLUD options basically do the same thing, increase the amount of DRAM memory reserved by the system for use with added hardware like video cards. That is the standard problem when adding more video cards to a board than it would normally be able to use. I've wondered if adding more DRAM memory to the PC would cause the amount of reserved memory to be increased, but I don't know. DON'T take that as a suggestion, please.

If your board's UEFI/BIOS had either of these options, it would be in the Advanced, Chipset configuration screen. I'm sure you've already looked there. Both of those options are not commonly provided with every board.

Mother board manufactures will need to decide if they will add one or both of these options to every board's UEFI that gets a request like this. With mining becoming so popular, we see a request like this every day.

at10ti0n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote at10ti0n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 4:30am
The system does boot into windows 10 (64bit) without problems, but the mining program crashes after a couple of minutes, when all 6 gpu's are connected.

I was asking for an updated bios where those options of enabling 4g and changing the TOLUD are available, as the last up-to-date verison (1.50) does not contain it.

Hope this sheds some more light on my issue.

Edited by at10ti0n - 27 Sep 2017 at 4:15am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic