ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ASRock Beebox Linux Graphic Driver,Tripple Monitor
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Beebox Linux Graphic Driver,Tripple Monitor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote entheos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock Beebox Linux Graphic Driver,Tripple Monitor
    Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 2:03am
Hello everyone,
the ASRock Beebox has an awesome value for the money.
I can easily imagine a big market for this product - becoming the first choice for people who would like to have
- a multimedia PC
- emulation station for "classic" games
- an office PC
- a small business/private server
- a PC for exhibitions/marketing (3 monitors!)
- a replacement for raspberry/banana pi
- etc.

It works out of the box for Ubuntu, Linux Mint and other Linux distributions I have tested.
There is only one issue I am currently trying to solve:
- Support of three monitors with Linux

If anyone has solved the issue, please share your experience with the community.
I will keep you posted about my efforts!

Thank you very much in advance for your support!

###############
#       Solved          #
###############

a) The DP port only works with an active DP-DVI cable -> DP-HDMI cable does not work.
b) Install and update the intel graphic driver e.g.:

Instruction for Ubuntu 17.04

1. Download the latest Graphic Driver Update Tool for Intel:
Currently: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/intel-graphics-update-tool-linux-os-v2.0.6

2. Install the tool via the terminal:
sudo dpkg -i intel-graphics-update-tool_2.0.6_amd64.deb

3. Run the installation tool and follow the installation process.

Trouble shooting
If you get an  "GPG error" NO_PUBKEY

Install Y-PPA-Manager
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/y-ppa-manager
sudo apt update
sudo apt install install y-ppa-manager

Execute y-ppa-manager
Choose "Advanced"
Select "Try to import all missing GPG keys"

Then re-run the intel-graphics-update-tool again.

Reboot - Done

Thank you https://01.org community for providing intel driver for Linux!!!

Edited by entheos - 23 Sep 2017 at 1:53am
ASROCK Beebox rocks :D
darn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 10:36pm
My experience with 2 monitors (both via HDMI) and Beebox N3150 since yesterday:

The screens are recognized well (as seen in xrandr and nothing suspicious in Xorg.0.log).  Nevertheless the 2nd monitor gets no signal by default, but after a suspend/resume circle it *works* as expected (!)
Observed this with Fedora 22 and Ubuntu 15.04 in  the same manner.  No clue so far what's going on Confused

[Edit]  After a minor update to kernel 3.19.0-25 it works from the beginning (Ubuntu).

Edited by darn - 15 Aug 2015 at 3:31pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 1:55pm
I suspect the graphics driver for the N3150 SoC and any configuration interface it may provide would be required for triple monitor use on any OS platform.

Since Linux is not officially supported by the Beebox series, you get the pleasure of finding drivers on your own, as you are probably familiar with.

Intel's graphics driver download search page for Linux drivers brings you to a page with several links that you may be familiar with, but it's all I can offer you, since the N3150 SoC is a new platform:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/13815/Intel-Graphics-Drivers-for-Linux-
entheos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote entheos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 2:04am
@darn,parsec: Thank you very much for your contribution.

Here is the link to Intel Graphics Installer for Linux* :
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads

Sadly the tool didn´t install any additional driver.
Two monitors were working out of the box with ubuntu 14.10 and the N3000 for me.
If it doesn´t work for you can try to update your kernel (as this worked for darn)
The third display isn´t shown in xrandr (I believe this has two do with may display port to DVI adapter).

The second one just turns of when I am forcing an output to a third screen with xrandr.
[Link to tutorial "how to force xrandr to display a disconnected screen":
http://askubuntu.com/questions/150879/can-i-force-vga-signal-output-even-when-xrandr-shows-disconnected ]

Here is the answer from the ASRock support:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Beebox supports Windows® 10 32-bit / 10 64-bit / 8.1 64-bit / 7 64-bit compliant.

http://www.asrock.com.tw/microsite/Beebox/index.html

And it is able to support triple monitors with these supported OS.

We recommend to choose the OS supported by this model for better using experience and driver support.

If you want to use triple monitors with Ubuntu (non supported OS), it must get suitable driver from Intel or check with Linux distribution for further help.

ASRock Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I`ll keep you posted ;)

Edited by entheos - 18 Aug 2015 at 2:07am
entheos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote entheos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 3:55am
Intel told me that ASRock received proprietary drivers from them. Intel wont develop drivers for a product of ASRock but they said that ASRock can develop linux driver based on the proprietary drivers they received.
Talking with ASRock and Intel afterwards seemed to me as a ping pong game... . Both of them said that I should contact the other one for driver support....

Review ASRock Beebox N3000

with Ubuntu 14.10 / 15.10

with Fedora 23

Graphic Chipset

Works out of the box but (if you have issues -just update your system. Should work after a minor update of the kernel):

Only 2 monitors are working at the same time

4k and some Action Full HD Videos are stuttering

Same as Ubuntu

Bluetooth

Works out of the box but:

Bluetooth Mouse, Keyboard loses connection every several hours (reconnection necessary)

Same as Ubuntu

Audio

Works out of the box (Stereo, DTS (5.1) via HDMI)

Same as Ubuntu

WiFi

Works out of the box

Same as Ubuntu

LAN

Works out of the box

Same as Ubuntu

Overall

With drivers for linux it would be the no1 for a multimedia center

Performance slower then Ubuntu

Edited by entheos - 12 Jan 2016 at 1:54am
r.burrowes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote r.burrowes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 9:18am
I have all 3 displays on my beebox (N3000) working under Ubuntu 15.04, after installing the  latest updates (apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get dist-upgrade).

Also installed the latest intel i915 driver, as the Ubuntu one way a couple of revisions behind.
Google skl_dmc_v1.21. Download and run the install.sh script as root. It just copies the driver to i915 directory and changes the link from the older driver to this one.

The display did flick on and off while I was installing, but is stable after the reboot.

The DP port only works with an active DP-DVI cable. It didn't work with the first 3 DP-DVI cables I tried, which all turned out to be passive. It didn't work with a DP-HDMI cable. Finally found an old BizLink DP-DVI with a USB cable to provide power, and this is working. 

I'm about to look for an active converter that gets its power through the DP port.  I'm using these to run kiosk displays, 3 to a box, and only have the one BizLink adaptor.

r.burrowes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r.burrowes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 9:44am
As an aside, I couldn't boot openSuse. I just got a blank monitor.

I could boot and install Linux Mint, with Mate, and the display worked all through the install, but rebooting at the end of the install, I either got a black screen, or random garbage on the screen. I didn't bother to diagnose the problem, and moved onto Ubuntu 15.04, which worked.

I also managed to boot openbsd 5.7 (install57.fs image on a usb stick).  I didn't follow through with the install, but the install ram disk mounted the sata disk and I could see the network port, so I'm assuming I could have completed an installation. It didn't mount the install57.fs usb stick after booting to the ram disk, but I had the same thing happen on an old dell box, and had to use MAKEDEV sd1, and manually mount sd1a to get the install packages on the usb stick.  I was just testing if the hardware was recognised, as I was looking at a different board with the same chipset, to use as a firewall.

entheos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote entheos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 4:40am
Step by step instruction to install the drivers (as suggested r.burrowes)

Thank you very much for your tips r.burrowes.
Here is a step by step instruction for all the noobs like me ;)

1.) Update your Linux Distro (e.g. Ubuntu)
a) open a terminal
b) enter the following commands:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

2.) Download the latest driver:
a) Go to https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads
b) Search for the latest skl_dmc_ and download it

3) Install the driver
a) unpack the archive
b) open the folder inside a terminal
c) enter the following command:
sh install.sh

d) you will see the following message:
Success: /lib/firmware/i915/skl_dmc_ver1_21.bin installed!

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2015 at 11:24pm
Intel recently released a Linux microcode update dated Nov 6 2015 which may prove useful:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25512/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">
entheos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote entheos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2016 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Intel recently released a Linux microcode update dated Nov 6 2015 which may prove useful:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25512/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File
< id="kpm_plugin" ="application/x-KPMPlugin">

I am not sure how to install that file...
It is written that we should put the file into "/etc/firmware". So I extracted it and put it there... maybe it had an effect maybe nothing happened at all.

Could you provide some further information wardog? How to install and what effect it had for you?
Thank you very much in advance!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic