ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty x399 won't post with 128GB RAM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty x399 won't post with 128GB RAM
    Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 2:08pm
Hello,

I've been direly trying to get this to work and so far nothing is working right. 

Here is the problem:

My x399 Fatal1ty motherboard will not post when I have all 8x16GB (128GB) sticks of RAM in it.

The Dr. code thingy shows this error:  C0

SPECS:

Mobo:  Fatal1ty x399 Motherboard
CPU:  Threadripper 1950x
RAM:   128GB of CMK128GX4M8B3000C16 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 128GB (8 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)   (on the QVL)
PSU:  Corsair RM1000x
GPU:  GTX 1060

DETAILS:

If I put 8x RAM sticks, it will not post.
If I put 1 to 7 RAM sticks in, it posts.
I have tried ALL ram slot combinations.  They all work.
I have tried ALL ram sticks.  They all work.
I have got a brand new x399 Fatal1ty motherboard.  Still has the same problem.
Problem exists in bios 1.3
Problem exists in bios 1.5
I've tried multiple PSU.  All work fine.
I've tried multiple GPU.  All work fine.
CPU looks just fine (no scarring of the plate, brand new).

The issue literally is the 8th stick of RAM causes the system not to boot.  That's it. 

I've tried changing a few things in the bios and nothing matters.  I've reset CMOS and that changes nothing. 

If I put 4 sticks of RAM in, it boots just fine, installs Win, etc.  I've tried all various RAM slots and they all work.  All RAM sticks work as well.

I absolutely must get all 128GB to work.

Does anybody have any ideas what to do?  I can't think of anything else to try.
128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 2:12pm
OP here.  Some more details:

With 4x sticks of RAM, everything works fine, Windows loads, everything runs, no crashes, etc.  So the CPU seems to be fine.

The mobo has the 2x2 CPU power + the 4x4 CPU power connector both plugged in.  The 2x2 is using a split 4x4 power cable and the 4x4 is using the normal power cable.  All is good.  Plus I tried a different power supply.   The mobo does not have the PCIe extra power connector as its not needed.

128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 2:27pm
UPDATE:  The following occurs (and is repeatable)

If I have 7 sticks of ram (to get it to post) and update to 1.5 bios
Then reboot, clear settings, update to 1.3 bios, power down
Then plug in 8th stick of ram
Then power back on...
... the system will boot into Windows 8.1

HOWEVER

Windows 8.1 will say there is 32GB of RAM usable and 96GB as "Hardware Reserved".

If I reboot then the system will never post again with a C0 error.

Something is really messed up.  Again, this is the second x399 board.

It is as if this RAM isn't working correctly with this mobo, yet I know the RAM works fine as 4 sticks works just fine in all combinations of slots + RAM sticks.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 4:07pm
I would open a support ticker with ASRock Tech Support. Based on your description it sounds like incompatibility. It technically could be the IMC on the CPU failing to operate with 8 populated dimm slots, it may be worth looking into voltages, you may need a little more to get 8 dimms to operate. Again though, Tech Support is who you want to ask, they will be by far better equipped to help you (they have access to your exact board model to test with).
128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I would open a support ticker with ASRock Tech Support. Based on your description it sounds like incompatibility. It technically could be the IMC on the CPU failing to operate with 8 populated dimm slots, it may be worth looking into voltages, you may need a little more to get 8 dimms to operate. Again though, Tech Support is who you want to ask, they will be by far better equipped to help you (they have access to your exact board model to test with).

I emailed their tech support.  They told me to return the motherboard.

So I did and bought a new one (same Fatal1ty x399).  It has the exact same issue.

I've changed voltages and reduced timing down to 1866 and still it won't boot.  7 sticks = POST.  8 sticks = no post.   :(
128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 4:18pm
I just want to know what RAM to use for 128GB and how to get it to work.  I'm buying stuff left and right and I just want it to work :(
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 5:11pm
Contact them again and direct them to this thread. You were likely told to RMA because one of the most common causes for issues like yours is a defective DIMM slot, with that ruled out they should be better able to assist you.

I have also sent you a PM
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 5:56pm
have you tried using some old tricks we learnt with the ryzen cpu and ram issues ?

after all ryzen is half a threadripper cpu

with ryzen systems we try tips like

get into bios (using less ram sticks)
change the dram volts to something more powerful eg 1.375volts or even 1.4 volts to test
find the SOC setting and increase this to 1.1volt (this is the actual voltage to the memory controller)

you can also try to see if your heading in correct direction and to make it easier to boot with ram issues
enter bios set xmp to 3000 and then leave ram subtings loose eg cl16/cl18
BUT
lower the actual ram speed manually down to 2133

this basically slows down the ram to much more stable timings

if you can get it to boot then with all 8 sticks gradually adjust settings back to what you require until it becomes unstable again and then you know whats to set it permanantly
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 7:58pm
re: CMK128GX4M8B3000C16
I must ask. Is this a 128GB(16GBx8) Kit, or two 64GB(16GBx4) Kits?

If indeed it is a 128GB Kit, check that ALL serial numbers are consecutive.

The rest here assumes all 8 sticks are consecutively numbered !  If not post back, then contact the reseller or Corsair themselves

Is this occurring before or after you set XMP?
Describe please the method you are using to set XMP, as If you just booted into the BIOS.

You don't say what GPU it is you have. One in particular drew(before a vBIOS update) an inordinate and out of spec power draw from the PCIe bus.

Please post what GPU and also try plugging in/powering the 6-pin GFX_12V1 at the lower rt corner.
Connecting GFX_12V1 would be all four MB power  connections: 4-pin(ATX12V2) , 8-pin(ATX12V1) , 24-pin(ATXPWR1) , and lastly 6-pin(GFX_12V1)

Pull all the power connections and look at the mating M and F parts that the connectors are round and inserted to their proper depth in the M ends. I've seen on occasion where one has backed out and did not make proper contact with the F pin.

Also look in the F connectors that the pins are centered. Seen this too where a pin was bent and not sliding into the M's round connector. This usually results in a connection that the M+F connection itself didn't allow for the connection securing clip on the M part to "snap' over and lock onto the F side.

Look at ALL power connections that you didn't inadvertently not get all the M-F connections properly inserted and now have two or more pins not getting inserted into their correct contact. ie: powering air

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by 128noGB 128noGB wrote:

Windows 8.1 will say there is 32GB of RAM usable and 96GB as "Hardware Reserved".

When 8.1(Really? 8.1?) states this, did you prior confirm in the BIOS that all eight sticks were correctly enumerated there?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic