ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty x399 won't post with 128GB RAM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 8:07am
Originally posted by Benja Benja wrote:

Hi

I've tha same issue, no post with 8 dimm x 16Gb.

The Dr. code thingy shows this error:  C0

My Conf
Asrock X399 Fatal1ty pro gaming
Ryzen Threadripper 1950x
Adata XPG DDR4 2400 CL 16-16-16  16GB * 8
Zotac Nvidia 730 GT
Samsung 960 Evo 1TB m2

I can only confirm:  1-7 sticks of RAM = successful POST.   8 sticks = no post

Maybe a buggy BIOS CryOuchShocked?

Thanks for posting that you're also getting this problem!!!!

I haven't heard of anybody yet getting 128GB to work on the Fatal1ty.

Hmm, so what things have you tried?

I notice we both are using M2 drives.  Is yours also NVMe?  Mine is.  I doubt that would be an issue, but perhaps remove it see if it changes anything? 

Can you list the things you've done to try and resolve this?  Nothing has worked for me so far. 

Let's get this fixed!! :)
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 8:59am
Do either of you have SVM enabled?  Enabling SVM causes all my rear USB 3.0 ports to stop working.  Please do a F9 (Load UEFI Defaults) if you have  not done that a 100 times.  128noGB, did you open a ticket with ASRock or AMD?  I suggest you do both.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 9:40am
Originally posted by 128noGB 128noGB wrote:

Thanks for the response!  I'll try and respond to every point:

---->  If indeed it is a 128GB Kit, check that ALL serial numbers are consecutive.

Just took them all out, yes all sticks are numbered in perfect order.  Also they say this on the RAM:

CMK128GX4M8B3000C16
DDR4 128GB(8x16GB)
3000Mhz
16-18-18-36
1.35v
ver 5.39

---->   Is this occurring before or after you set XMP?

I can't get into the BIOS to set XMP with 8 sticks.

Instead, I can 1 to 7 sticks, enter the BIOS, change settings, save and exit and power off, then plug in the 8th stick, then power on.

I'm performing this exactly as I type it:

-- Remove all RAM sticks
-- Populate A2 B2 with 1 stick each
-- Power on and enter BIOS
-- F9 and reset bios to default.  Reboot. Enter into bios
-- Change XMP profile to XMP 2.0 Profile 1
-- Save and exit
-- Populate all 8 RAM sticks, reboot
-- System will not boot/POST, hangs on:  Dr. Error   C0    before rebooting

---> You don't say what GPU it is you have. One in particular drew(before a vBIOS update) an inordinate and out of spec power draw from the PCIe bus.

EVGA Geforce 1060 SC.  It has a 6 pin connector.  I've also tried with a secondary GTX970.  Both are the same.  I also tried plugging in the PCIe power into the motherboard.  All 4 power are filled.

SIDE NOTE:  This motherboard has a completely exposed PCIi power connector wiring right next to the motherboard reset/power on switches.  A finger needs to simply be off by less 1 inch before some serious hard to the end-user could occur.  Unlike the entirety of the rest of the mobo, this one has completely exposed power receptacles.

--> Pull all the power connections and look at the mating M and F parts

Done and no change.   It should be noted that this is my SECOND motherboard (returned the prior x399 Fatal1ty per Asrock recommendation) as well as my SECOND PSU (other was brand new as well).  New PSU was purchased on the side chance the CPU 2+2/4+4 power wasn't correct.

It almost looks as if the bios says this:  "Hmm, 8 sticks of RAM?  No post.  I don't care what settings just don't POST".

I don't know if this will help you, but I see a detail in your description of your procedure that if changed, possibly might help you. No guarantee... sorry to say. If you've done this already, never mind.

Insert all eight DIMMs into the board, if they are not already there. Clear the UEFI/CMOS with the jumper on the board. Yes I want you to try running your memory at stock, default speeds, NO XMP profile. Plus you should always clear the UEFI/CMOS when changing the memory configuration. Yes it worked for you without doing that in earlier testing with seven DIMMs, but with XMP enabled? Regardless, please try eight DIMMs without XMP, and a UEFI clear before starting the board with eight DIMMs installed.

With that much memory, you may not be able to run it all at 3000 without manual tweaking. Don't forget, most DDR4 memory like yours has the XMP profile tuned for Intel systems, not Threadripper or Ryzen. Your model of memory was first designed for Intel X99 board systems, the very first PC platform to use DDR4 memory. So while it may work with Threadripper, it was not designed for it.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-lpx-128gb-8x16gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c16-memory-kit-black-cmk128gx4m8b3000c16

If you had seven DIMMs running above the stock speed, that was very good. But all it takes is one more to cause difficulty.

Next potential issue, common on Intel quad channel memory systems: POST completes and Windows boots fine. But not all of the memory is recognized. That will take voltage and memory settings tuning.

About the exposed power connector wiring, those look like the ground connections for that connector. While it looks scary, shorting the ground connections would do nothing.

Also, an M.2 SSD in the M.2 slot would not cause a problem with memory.

128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 10:11am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

Do either of you have SVM enabled?  Enabling SVM causes all my rear USB 3.0 ports to stop working.  Please do a F9 (Load UEFI Defaults) if you have  not done that a 100 times.  128noGB, did you open a ticket with ASRock or AMD?  I suggest you do both.  Enjoy, John.

Hey there, I have no idea what SVM even is.  Could you tell me where to disable it in the BIOS and I'll give it a go (I couldn't find it in the manual).

I opened a ticket with ASRock and they rarely respond, and so far have told me to send BIOS screenshots with 8 dimms, despite me telling them it won't POST to bios at all with 8.

Thanks!
128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 10:17am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I don't know if this will help you, but I see a detail in your description of your procedure that if changed, possibly might help you. No guarantee... sorry to say. If you've done this already, never mind.

Insert all eight DIMMs into the board, if they are not already there. Clear the UEFI/CMOS with the jumper on the board. Yes I want you to try running your memory at stock, default speeds, NO XMP profile. Plus you should always clear the UEFI/CMOS when changing the memory configuration. Yes it worked for you without doing that in earlier testing with seven DIMMs, but with XMP enabled? Regardless, please try eight DIMMs without XMP, and a UEFI clear before starting the board with eight DIMMs installed.

With that much memory, you may not be able to run it all at 3000 without manual tweaking. Don't forget, most DDR4 memory like yours has the XMP profile tuned for Intel systems, not Threadripper or Ryzen. Your model of memory was first designed for Intel X99 board systems, the very first PC platform to use DDR4 memory. So while it may work with Threadripper, it was not designed for it.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-lpx-128gb-8x16gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c16-memory-kit-black-cmk128gx4m8b3000c16

If you had seven DIMMs running above the stock speed, that was very good. But all it takes is one more to cause difficulty.

Next potential issue, common on Intel quad channel memory systems: POST completes and Windows boots fine. But not all of the memory is recognized. That will take voltage and memory settings tuning.

About the exposed power connector wiring, those look like the ground connections for that connector. While it looks scary, shorting the ground connections would do nothing.

Also, an M.2 SSD in the M.2 slot would not cause a problem with memory.

Hey there, firstly thanks for the response!

--->   Clear the UEFI/CMOS with the jumper on the board.

Could you confirm for me how to do this on the Fatal1ty x399 board?  I haven't found something that explicitly says what to do.

What I've done is this:  

1)  Turn off the PSU (the big PSU power switch)
2)  Press and hold the "Clear CMOS" button (button, not jumper) on the motherboard for 5 seconds
3)  Turn the PSU back on and boot

Is that correct way to clear the UEFI/CMOS?  I'm not even sure that is correctly clearing the UEFI/CMOS.  I can't figure out how to confirm it, since the system isn't POSTing correctly anyway.  The x399 Fatal1ty manual doesn't help on this as it doesn't specifically list exactly what to do.

I'm fine with saying "This memory won't work" (despite it being on ASRock's QVL).  I just want to know what memory would actually work.  I will go out and buy that memory in an absolute heartbeat.  I just need to know what to buy.  

The QVL told me this Corsair memory was the fastest to get, but it won't work, so what else should I buy that is the fastest?  Assume there is no budget constraint.

Many thanks again for the help!  If you tell me what to buy which is QVL for x399 ASRock then I'll buy it today (If Microcenter has it, I'll get it immediately and report back with the results on Saturday).
Benja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 6:30pm
Hi,

SVM enabled (SVM settings is needed to enable virtualziation functions), my memory are at stock speed/voltage...XMP profile is set to auto and the only other setting is enable XMP.
Sorry but i don't want a workaround to have a stable configuration, i need a fix.

I build my workstation/configuration for a virtualization lab and not for gaming pourpose, 128Gb is a must for my pourpose...i don't expect an enterprise support from Asrock...but if I haven't a resonable respone from the support whithin tuesday, I'll change the motherboard for another brand.

@128noGB and @MisterJ if you consider to change MB pay attention to Gigabyte X399 Gaming 7, it have the same issue  http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/1854/x399-gaming-128gb-ram-issue

Waiting an ASrock response!

PS. Yestrday i'm able to install VMware ESXi 6.5U1 on our buggy MB, OS see only 16Gb Cry( with 7 sticks installed, BIOS see correctly 7*16Gb)..10Gbit nic are not discovered (but 2 nic are enough to my lab)

Edited by Benja - 30 Sep 2017 at 6:44pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 6:41pm
Is everyone here running BIOS rev 1.50 on their Fatal1ty X399 Pro Gaming MB's?

128noGB, do not upgrade yet. Please do as I ask in the PM and reply, letting me read your reply first. Do not flash to 1.50 if you have not yet.
Benja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 6:45pm
I have 1.3
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:22pm

I have 1.3

Benja, if, and only IF, your system is STABLE on 4 sticks, I would highly suggest you upflash to 1.50. Using only 4 sticks to upflash with. NOT 8 installed.

1.50 addresses "some' 128GB (16GBx8) Kits. What ones I can't say as I'm not aware.

Please post back.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

I have 1.3

Benja, if, and only IF, your system is STABLE on 4 sticks, I would highly suggest you upflash to 1.50. Using only 4 sticks to upflash with. NOT 8 installed.

1.50 addresses "some' 128GB (16GBx8) Kits. What ones I can't say as I'm not aware.

Please post back.

And only use the Instant Flash method.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic