ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty x399 won't post with 128GB RAM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 9:09pm
from a quick read around on a google search

it would seem at present its not going to be cured by even using another brand of board

both gigabyte and asus seem to be having the same problem with x399
its just not liking 128gb/8 sticks

most users posts/feedback is cant get a boot with the 8 sticks, one or two guys have managed after many many hours of manual tweaking, to then be presented with windows not seeing all of the 128gb
phrases like '96gb system reserved'

i have literally found just one person stating they have had success
that was a gigabyte board and corsiar dominator platinum ram at 2400mhz

iif it was me guys

i would use the stable 4 sticks in quad (64gb) and stay with what you have for the later bios updates

(of course support tickets sent in with EXACT details of the ram kits and your board will help the bios/tech team to get the kits working)
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 11:26pm
With datonyb's research, I agree with his recommendation - 4 sticks till better BIOS/AGESA.  I would also recommend everyone affected hit AMD with a ticket.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Benja Benja wrote:

Hi,

SVM enabled (SVM settings is needed to enable virtualziation functions), my memory are at stock speed/voltage...XMP profile is set to auto and the only other setting is enable XMP.
Sorry but i don't want a workaround to have a stable configuration, i need a fix.

I build my workstation/configuration for a virtualization lab and not for gaming pourpose, 128Gb is a must for my pourpose...i don't expect an enterprise support from Asrock...but if I haven't a resonable respone from the support whithin tuesday, I'll change the motherboard for another brand.

@128noGB and @MisterJ if you consider to change MB pay attention to Gigabyte X399 Gaming 7, it have the same issue  http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/1854/x399-gaming-128gb-ram-issue

Waiting an ASrock response!

PS. Yestrday i'm able to install VMware ESXi 6.5U1 on our buggy MB, OS see only 16Gb Cry( with 7 sticks installed, BIOS see correctly 7*16Gb)..10Gbit nic are not discovered (but 2 nic are enough to my lab)

Ahh, I must keep SVM enabled then as it is required for what I'm using this for as it is virtualization as well.

4x RAM sticks work just fine also.  No hardware reserved.  This only occurs with 7x RAM sticks.
128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Is everyone here running BIOS rev 1.50 on their Fatal1ty X399 Pro Gaming MB's?

128noGB, do not upgrade yet. Please do as I ask in the PM and reply, letting me read your reply first. Do not flash to 1.50 if you have not yet.

Just saw your PM and did exactly as you asked.

Also to note:  I've flashed to 1.5 already, and back down to 1.3 yesterday.  So it is 1.3 as of the past 24 hours (and for my test to you). 

Anxiously awaiting your reply!
128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by Benja Benja wrote:

I have 1.3

Benja, if, and only IF, your system is STABLE on 4 sticks, I would highly suggest you upflash to 1.50. Using only 4 sticks to upflash with. NOT 8 installed.

1.50 addresses "some' 128GB (16GBx8) Kits. What ones I can't say as I'm not aware.

Please post back.

I'm doing 4 sticks stable (no hardware reserved in windows).

Does it change if you do a BIOS upgrade with 4 stable sticks VS 7 sticks plugged in)?   Note:  You can't do a BIOS upgrade with 8 sticks since the system won't POST.

Also, the error code is always:  C0      with 8 sticks. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 3:02am
Originally posted by 128noGB 128noGB wrote:

I'm doing 4 sticks stable (no hardware reserved in windows).

Does it change if you do a BIOS upgrade with 4 stable sticks VS 7 sticks plugged in)?   Note:  You can't do a BIOS upgrade with 8 sticks since the system won't POST.

Also, the error code is always:  C0      with 8 sticks. 

ONLY flash a BIOS when the system is correctly functioning. 7 of 8 sticks recognized is NOT correctly functioning and might very well result in a bricked board if you were try flashing with 7 of 8 sticks seen/recognized. BIG NO NO.

I've replied to the latest PM with further instruction and an offer of Phone Assistance.

TANWare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANWare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 3:11am
This may not be your issue but where I have seen this behavior it was the command rate. Where 1 T works fine with the 4 sticks and even the 7 before attempting 2 quad channels. When 2 quad channels are used it probably needs the 2T timings.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 3:13am
wardog, I am running 1.50 and have for some time with no known problems.  Is there some reason  for not updating other than a not fully functioning system?  Is something wrong with 1.50?  I do not want to test it, but X399 boards have the Flash Back feature and should be able to recover from a failed update.  Enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 3:47am
Originally posted by MisterJ MisterJ wrote:

wardog, I am running 1.50 and have for some time with no known problems.  Is there some reason  for not updating other than a not fully functioning system?  Is something wrong with 1.50?  I do not want to test it, but X399 boards have the Flash Back feature and should be able to recover from a failed update.  Enjoy, John.

They pulled 1.60 due to a couple of repeatable issues.

It was explained to me that 1.50 is stable.

My recent posts are directed at 128noGB as we are also conversing via PM and I do not want him getting out in front of me in my diagnosing HIS 128GB(16GGx8) Kit issue.

Note: I am not a fan of upflashing a BIOS on a perfectly working system in the hopes of only flashing in the hopes a User will gain 100fps. If it's working, IMO, leave it alone.

If that 128GB Kit only works with 7 sticks installed and a recent BIOS addresses their/this 128GB issue, then by all means use Instant Flash to upflash.

MisterJ, clearer now how my recent posts relate?

Sorry for the confusion everyone.

MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 4:43am
Very clear, thanks, wardog.  I agree not to update if all is OK.  I have not updated my 1800X to the latest for that very reason.  With TR having such trashy BIOS/AGESA, I will probably be more lenient.  I never flashed to 1.60, because I was leery even though I want to RAID my SSDs.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic