ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty x399 won't post with 128GB RAM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 1:34am
Originally posted by 128noGB 128noGB wrote:

Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

@ 128nogb

it seems we have one person now that has got a ram kit to boot on the asrock x399 using the gskill flarex 2133 ram

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6211&PN=4&title=x399-taichi-wont-boot-up

That sounds promising!  But I don't see any 128GB RAM kits for that type of RAM (Gskill FlareX).  Any idea where I could get this?  I'll buy it now if it'll help!

i am presuming he bought two kits of 4 sticks

i would also presume when installing them to select PAIRED sticks in each channel

eg kit 1 in a1/b1/a2/b2
and kit 2 in a3/b3/a4/b4

why not ask him via a pm ?
and contact retailer and see if they can look at serial numbers and find a pair of kits that are concurrant or close

Edited by datonyb - 02 Oct 2017 at 1:35am
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 6:02am

@ 128nogb

it seems we have one person now that has got a ram kit to boot on the asrock x399 using the gskill flarex 2133 ram

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6211&PN=4&title=x399-taichi-wont-boot-up

That sounds promising!  But I don't see any 128GB RAM kits for that type of RAM (Gskill FlareX).  Any idea where I could get this?  I'll buy it now if it'll help!

i would also presume when installing them to select PAIRED sticks in each channel

eg kit 1 in a1/b1/a2/b2
and kit 2 in a3/b3/a4/b4

and contact retailer and see if they can look at serial numbers and find a pair of kits that are concurrant or close

I have no problem buying different RAM.  I'm not financially limited in this build.  I just need to know what to buy.

I just went out and bought a x399 ASUS Prime motherboard.  Going to try it with the 128GB ram + 1950x 16 core CPU right now. 

Want to know the results when it's ready?
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 7:21am
Sure, 128noGB, we would appreciate that.  Looking forward to it.  Thanks and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 11:03am

Hey there, firstly thanks for the response!

--->   Clear the UEFI/CMOS with the jumper on the board.

Could you confirm for me how to do this on the Fatal1ty x399 board?  I haven't found something that explicitly says what to do.

What I've done is this:  

1)  Turn off the PSU (the big PSU power switch)
2)  Press and hold the "Clear CMOS" button (button, not jumper) on the motherboard for 5 seconds
3)  Turn the PSU back on and boot

Is that correct way to clear the UEFI/CMOS?  I'm not even sure that is correctly clearing the UEFI/CMOS.  I can't figure out how to confirm it, since the system isn't POSTing correctly anyway.  The x399 Fatal1ty manual doesn't help on this as it doesn't specifically list exactly what to do.

I'm fine with saying "This memory won't work" (despite it being on ASRock's QVL).  I just want to know what memory would actually work.  I will go out and buy that memory in an absolute heartbeat.  I just need to know what to buy.  

The QVL told me this Corsair memory was the fastest to get, but it won't work, so what else should I buy that is the fastest?  Assume there is no budget constraint.

Many thanks again for the help!  If you tell me what to buy which is QVL for x399 ASRock then I'll buy it today (If Microcenter has it, I'll get it immediately and report back with the results on Saturday).

Not sure where you are at now, but to continue...

The way you cleared the UEFI/BIOS with the button is fine, that seems to be the only way to do it with your board.

The point of my suggestion was to see if all eight DIMMs would POST at their stock/default speed. Given your description, you tried to start the PC with all eight DIMMs with the XMP profile enabled. That is more difficult to accomplish than running the memory at the stock, lower speed.

If you could get all the memory to POST at the stock speed, you could go on from there. But I don't know where you are at now with the ASRock board.

If I knew which memory to buy that would guarantee that eight 16GB DIMMs would work, I would tell you, but I don't know what that is. We still don't know, I assume, if all eight of your DIMMs work at their stock speed.

All you need to do is clear the UEFI/BIOS as you described, with all eight DIMMs in the board, and see if it will POST. Did you try that?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 11:11am

@ 128nogb

eg kit 1 in a1/b1/a2/b2
and kit 2 in a3/b3/a4/b4

Don't you mean putting DIMMs from each kit into the SAME channels?

That would be one kit in A1 and A2, B1 and B2. Then the other kit in C1 and C2, D1 and D2.

You may be trying to describe what I have, but with a quad channel memory board, the channels are identified as A, B, C, and D.

Benja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 3:50pm
Hi 128noGB,

yes please post your results about x399 ASUS Prime motherboard.

I bought a MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC and it arrive friday...I'll post the results soon.

Benja
Benja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 7:02pm
Hi Guys,

can anyone help me to understand how to read RAM QVL for the ASrock X399 Pro gaming?

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X399%20Professional%20Gaming/index.asp#Memory

I'm Looking to Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 PC4-19200, 2.400 MHz, C14, Kit 128GB (8x 16GB) - Part number CMK128GX4M8A2400C14

On the Quad Channel column there is a "v", this mean that 4 dimms in quad channel conf are supported or 8 dimms in quad channel conf are supported?!

PS. today a new BIOS (1.70) is released but it seems that introduce new RAID nvme feature without any update to 128Gb issue....

Edited by Benja - 02 Oct 2017 at 7:06pm
128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 1:18am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Hey there, firstly thanks for the response!

--->   Clear the UEFI/CMOS with the jumper on the board.

Could you confirm for me how to do this on the Fatal1ty x399 board?  I haven't found something that explicitly says what to do.

What I've done is this:  

1)  Turn off the PSU (the big PSU power switch)
2)  Press and hold the "Clear CMOS" button (button, not jumper) on the motherboard for 5 seconds
3)  Turn the PSU back on and boot

Is that correct way to clear the UEFI/CMOS?  I'm not even sure that is correctly clearing the UEFI/CMOS.  I can't figure out how to confirm it, since the system isn't POSTing correctly anyway.  The x399 Fatal1ty manual doesn't help on this as it doesn't specifically list exactly what to do.

I'm fine with saying "This memory won't work" (despite it being on ASRock's QVL).  I just want to know what memory would actually work.  I will go out and buy that memory in an absolute heartbeat.  I just need to know what to buy.  

The QVL told me this Corsair memory was the fastest to get, but it won't work, so what else should I buy that is the fastest?  Assume there is no budget constraint.

Many thanks again for the help!  If you tell me what to buy which is QVL for x399 ASRock then I'll buy it today (If Microcenter has it, I'll get it immediately and report back with the results on Saturday).

Not sure where you are at now, but to continue...

The way you cleared the UEFI/BIOS with the button is fine, that seems to be the only way to do it with your board.

The point of my suggestion was to see if all eight DIMMs would POST at their stock/default speed. Given your description, you tried to start the PC with all eight DIMMs with the XMP profile enabled. That is more difficult to accomplish than running the memory at the stock, lower speed.

If you could get all the memory to POST at the stock speed, you could go on from there. But I don't know where you are at now with the ASRock board.

If I knew which memory to buy that would guarantee that eight 16GB DIMMs would work, I would tell you, but I don't know what that is. We still don't know, I assume, if all eight of your DIMMs work at their stock speed.

All you need to do is clear the UEFI/BIOS as you described, with all eight DIMMs in the board, and see if it will POST. Did you try that?

Yes I have tried inserting the 8x 16GB DIMMs and letting the default stock speeds work.  That is the first way to test this in the first place.

128GB does not work with stock speeds.  128GB does not work with 1.3 or 1.5 or 1.7 BIOS. 

128GB does not work setting speeds to any interval, even 1866mhz, or regardless of any timings. 

128GB does not work with any voltage tweak, DIMM timing, anything.  I've tried it all.

I've replaced the ASRock x399 motherboard with a brand new one.

I've replaced PSU with a brand new one.  I've replaced 128GB RAM with brand new one.  I've replaced the AMD 1950x CPU with a brand new one. I've replaced the GPU with a brand new one. 

Nothing.   This motherboard simply does not work with 128GB of QVL RAM.  Period.
128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Benja Benja wrote:

Hi Guys,

can anyone help me to understand how to read RAM QVL for the ASrock X399 Pro gaming?

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X399%20Professional%20Gaming/index.asp#Memory

I'm Looking to Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 PC4-19200, 2.400 MHz, C14, Kit 128GB (8x 16GB) - Part number CMK128GX4M8A2400C14

On the Quad Channel column there is a "v", this mean that 4 dimms in quad channel conf are supported or 8 dimms in quad channel conf are supported?!

PS. today a new BIOS (1.70) is released but it seems that introduce new RAID nvme feature without any update to 128Gb issue....

You'll want to read the thread you posted in first.  128GB of RAM will not work with this motherboard.  At this point we've exhausted all options and it simply won't work.
128noGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128noGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 1:27am

UPDATE:

After 9 emails to ASRock support, their response to me is this:

Quote We did tried with G.SKill Ripjaws 8 sticks memory module without no issue. Please contact the seller have m/b exchange first.

This is after I told them I already replaced the motherboard with a brand new one and also after I told them other people have this issue + linked them this thread. 

At this point, ASRock support seems to have casted this issued aside without acknowledging it even exists.  If they don't acknowledge the issue then it is doubtful it'll be fixed.

Edited by 128noGB - 03 Oct 2017 at 1:28am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
  Share Topic