ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97 Extreme 3 has bugged CPU FAN control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by boombastik boombastik wrote:

I have seen it myself in my motherboard z97 aniversarry.

In my case the cpu intel stock fan stuck at the same rpm and not arise with the temeprature.
THis is totally random.

But if i disable cms in uefi ( pure uefi), this dont happen, so maybe if u have the cms compatibilty to on , it brakes the initialization of fan.(random times)

thanks mate! after switching to ultra boot not a single crash!

I am 100% this is a bug. This should not happen.

Edited by donger - 29 Oct 2017 at 9:15pm
boombastik1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boombastik1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 10:42pm
Hallo again.
I made a lot of tests with a lot of fans and i can recreate it.
when i boot  i go into bios and i without change anything , i  save and exit ,when my system restarts the fan controller stacks and dont change rpm fan with temperature.  ( the most times not every time).

I also found the solution for this.i have a cpu pwm fan and two chassis pwm fans.
when i move my pwm fan to 3 pin cpu header, the other pwm fans works always. I cant recreate the bug.
So the 4 pin cpu fan header has the bug. When u have put a fan there not always change rpm with temperature and as a result it stucks also the other pwm chassis fans.

This bug exist in at least 4 models z97 asrock  motherboards.

So the conclusion is this.
If u want all the fans to works as intented dont use the 4 pin pwm cpu fan.

U can use all the pwm chassis fans and the 3 pin cpu fan.
(in my setup now i have a 3 pin cpu fan  in the 3 pin cpu header and 2 pwm chassis fans in the 2 chassis fan headers in a z97 anniversary)

Another solution is to put the cpu fan in a chassis pwm fan header and put a slow rpm chassis fan in 3 pin cpu fan header.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boombastik1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 8:29pm
After you put the pc in s4 (hibernation or hybrid shutdown)in windows 10 and
then you restore the pc from hibernation the CPU temperature is stuck in the same temp.(the last temp when u put the CPU to s4)

To recreate this bug u need only the motherboard to work in uefi mode with cms on.
In pure uefi (CMS off) and in pure legacy mode this bug don?�t exist.

That is the reason that cpu fan stuck. (u need to have a pwm cpu fan also.
DuranXL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DuranXL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by boombastik1 boombastik1 wrote:

After you put the pc in s4 (hibernation or hybrid shutdown)in windows 10 and
then you restore the pc from hibernation the CPU temperature is stuck in the same temp.(the last temp when u put the CPU to s4)

To recreate this bug u need only the motherboard to work in uefi mode with cms on.
In pure uefi (CMS off) and in pure legacy mode this bug don?�t exist.

That is the reason that cpu fan stuck. (u need to have a pwm cpu fan also.

Hi,

Unfortunately, I also have this problem in Pure EUFI mode with CMS off :(.
CPU FAN 1 gets stuck at a certain RPM. Today my CPU overheated and got BSOD because it was stuck at 167mhz..so it's a really annoying problem.

I downloaded the A-tuning app and noticed that the CPU temperature gets stuck. In my case it was stuck at 48c, which was the same value showing in bios. This value stays at 48c even during benchmarks, HWinfo64 shows the correct temperature.

When I shutdown instead of restart or sleep, it's revolved and also temperature is moving again in A-tuning.
Unfortunately this means I cannot use sleep. Hopefully anyone has found a solution. My fan is 4-pin so if I connect that to 3-pin it will run at full speed.
DuranXL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DuranXL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 11:12pm
I meant 167rpm :) (can't edit post).
Also I have hibernation disabled (powercfg -h off) so don't use hybrid boot or hibernation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boombastik1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 10:51pm
Nice on restart i found that the cpu peci temp freeze at the same temperature. It remembers the last temp value before initiate the restart.
We defenitally have a bug here.

Lenovo had a similar bug the solution was this:
-When we lengthened PECI reset waiting time to max 2 secs, built a trial BIOS and found the issue disappeared.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boombastik1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 10:52pm
Please anyone change the ps2 y-cable from auto to enabled in bios.
And tell me you can recreate this the frozen peci temp.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boombastik1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 10:53pm
change the ps2 y-cable from ayto to enable.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boombastik1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 5:38am
It seems finally after all that years if you have the motherboard to work in legacy mode (mbr boot disk) with fast boot to disabled the peci cpu temp don't stuck at the same temp after reboot.

Also from others users i found that CPU peci freeze with:
4790k uefi boot
4790 uefi boot
4690k uefi boot

So it seems that with cpu haswell refresh the peci in uefi mode can freeze.
If someone can recreate it with older haswell cpus (like 4770) it will be
good to inform us.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boombastik1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 2:23am
I bought a ha-swell e3-1230v3 and this problem don't exist.
It seems to affect only ha-swell refresh CPU.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic