ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

P67 Extreme4 Not Booting After BIOS Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallshortguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P67 Extreme4 Not Booting After BIOS Update
    Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 11:26am
Specs:
Windows 10
i7 2600K
P67 Extreme4
MSI Radeon R9 280X
8GB GSkill DDR3 RAM

I updated the BIOS on my P67 Extreme4 to 3.1 because I was having some issues after upgrading to Windows 10 that some forums suggested a BIOS update might fix. I went to Asrock's website and found the latest BIOS update file and followed the instructions exactly. Now Windows 10 will not complete the boot correctly and I keep getting a "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error from Windows.

I emailed support but I received was a response of

"Unfortunately you update the bios for a CPU (3rd generation ) and your cpu is second generation and the makes your windows to crash."

with no suggestions of how to fix it besides a follow up email from another support account asking me to purchase a new BIOS chip. I consider this unfair because there are zero warnings in Asrock's BIOS update instructions or support page that suggests the ONLY available BIOS update for my board would make it useless for my Sandy Bridge CPU. Also, on tweaktown's support forum it seemed a couple of users got free BIOS chips.

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a possible fix. If Asrock forces me to pay for the chip I am completely done as customer who purchased Asrock Motherboards for my last two systems. My upcoming CPU upgrade motherboard money will absolutely go to another manufacturer who I would hope provide better support than I've received so far. I apologize if I sound like I'm whining but I've received zero feedback after I emailed support back about the initial email.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by tallshortguy - 12 Aug 2015 at 11:28am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 1:46pm
WARNING: DO NOT try to flash to any other BIOS version for your board in an attempt to fix your problem! If you do you are guaranteed to require a new CMOS/BIOS chip!!

Also remember this: Any time a BIOS update is done, all the BIOS options will be set to their default values. If you use any BIOS options that must be set for your PC to boot, such as the SATA mode set to RAID, or the first drive in the boot order set to the correct drive, until those options are set appropriately, your PC will not function correctly.

It seems you were a victim of the Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge BIOS update, that can be a bit tricky to perform.

Some boards have the complete instructions for this update, but yours seems to be one that does not. The warning about doing this update is displayed when you start a download of the updated Intel IME software, and other programs, that must be installed after this BIOS update.

This is what I'm referring to. The key step is described in 2.:

If you can get into the BIOS on your board, or get the Instant Flash screen to display, you might be able to fix your problem.

All you need to do is perform the 3.10 BIOS update again, but do not remove the USB flash drive until Windows boots completely.

If performing this BIOS update fails again, a new CMOS/BIOS chip is the only fix. I've never heard of anyone performing this BIOS update while using Windows 10, so that may be a factor in your issue.

I cannot authorize a free replacement BIOS chip myself, and I'm not sure what the current ASRock policy is about this situation.

tallshortguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallshortguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 5:20am
Thanks for the reply parsec. Unfortunately I tried to do the instant flash with a USB loaded with the 3.1 files downloaded from Asrock's website but instant flash says it can't find an image so it seems I don't have a way to actually update the BIOS. I can get into the BIOS but it seems instant flash won't work correctly for me.

I got a reply back from support refusing me a free BIOS chip so I guess I have no choice but to pay Asrock for their own mistake. I have no idea why they have zero documentation for this issue in the BIOS update myself instead of the IME software meant to be installed afterward. Seems completely backwards to me.

I guess I'll pay for a new BIOS chip and never purchase another Asrock product again, the customer support has been lackluster to say the least. If this was something mentioned in their documentation that I missed then clearly that's my fault but the principle of the matter makes me pretty upset that Asrock is pushing their documentation issues on me.

Thanks again parsec but since instant flash isn't recognizing the BIOS files on my USB drive I don't think your fix will work for me.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 5:26am
Be sure you have the right BIOS installation type downloaded, there are 3, one for windows, one for command line and one for instant flash. If you have the wrong one it will not be able to detect the file. I would download all 3 to the flash drive and be sure it is formatted to fat 32 or it will be unreadable to the BIOS.

ASRock's tech support is not the best but it isn't anywhere near the worst either. If memory serves the BIOS chip costs US $15. Hopefully the flash will fix your problem though.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 1:01pm
So sorry, I just noticed that the ONLY 3.10 BIOS update method is the Windows method, that cannot be used with Instant Flash. Confused

When you get into the BIOS, do you see your Windows drive in the boot order list? Is that drive seen in the Storage Configuration screen? If you can't get things in order in the BIOS, try my next suggestion below.

I'm not sure if you have Windows 10 installed now, or your previous OS version. Regardless, try inserting the Windows installation media (disk, USB flash drive), boot from it, and select the Repair option  on the first screen that is displayed. Follow the prompts to hopefully fix whatever corrupted your Windows installation.
IronRinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronRinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2015 at 9:36pm
Made an account just to check in and say I am experiencing the same problem with Windows 10 after updating the bios on my P67 Exreme4 (B3). I upgraded the BIOS because Task Manager was showing 100% CPU usage all the time.

Specs:

P67 Exreme4 (B3)
i5 2500K
MSI GTX970 (x2)
16 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
Windows 10

I can get into the bios and it sees the boot drive but when Windows attempts to load it gives me the same "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error. And, like tallshortguy, I can't get instant flash to find the BIOS no matter what I use (usb flash drive, external HDD, etc.) This was the free Windows 10 upgrade so I don't have a installation disk, but I believe it does offer a repair option at the troubleshooting screen. Not sure that's going to be enough to fix the issue. I haven't yet gotten around to contacting ASRock. How much are they charging you for the BIOS chip, tallshortguy? I would be interested to know what BIOS version they're giving you on that chip.

This whole thing has been very frustrating.

Edited by IronRinn - 13 Aug 2015 at 9:37pm
tallshortguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallshortguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 12:23am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

So sorry, I just noticed that the ONLY 3.10 BIOS update method is the Windows method, that cannot be used with Instant Flash. Confused

When you get into the BIOS, do you see your Windows drive in the boot order list? Is that drive seen in the Storage Configuration screen? If you can't get things in order in the BIOS, try my next suggestion below.

I'm not sure if you have Windows 10 installed now, or your previous OS version. Regardless, try inserting the Windows installation media (disk, USB flash drive), boot from it, and select the Repair option  on the first screen that is displayed. Follow the prompts to hopefully fix whatever corrupted your Windows installation.

Yeah I couldn't find any other BIOS update files besides the one for windows. I'll try putting windows 10 on a usb stick but the current bootup shows that it tries to do an "automatic repair" which doesn't fix the issue.

I appreciate the reply, I'll see if that maybe does something but I have a feeling windows is not the issue.

Originally posted by IronRinn IronRinn wrote:

Made an account just to check in and say I am experiencing the same problem with Windows 10 after updating the bios on my P67 Exreme4 (B3). I upgraded the BIOS because Task Manager was showing 100% CPU usage all the time.

Specs:

P67 Exreme4 (B3)
i5 2500K
MSI GTX970 (x2)
16 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
Windows 10

I can get into the bios and it sees the boot drive but when Windows attempts to load it gives me the same "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error. And, like tallshortguy, I can't get instant flash to find the BIOS no matter what I use (usb flash drive, external HDD, etc.) This was the free Windows 10 upgrade so I don't have a installation disk, but I believe it does offer a repair option at the troubleshooting screen. Not sure that's going to be enough to fix the issue. I haven't yet gotten around to contacting ASRock. How much are they charging you for the BIOS chip, tallshortguy? I would be interested to know what BIOS version they're giving you on that chip.

This whole thing has been very frustrating.

Hi IronInn, the 100% CPU usage was also the reason I updated my BIOS as I read the 3.1 update would fix the issue.

The new BIOS chip is $15, really it isn't the amount for why I'm upset as that's a pretty trivial amount. It's the principle of the matter that there doesn't seem to be any actual warnings that this update only works for Ivy Bridge, I don't know how anyone would assume that a BIOS update that only says "includes support for Ivy Bridge" would render Sandy Bridge, the CPU the board was originally designed for, inoperable with the MB.

I would recommend you contact support because the feedback I've gotten is to defend their lack of proper documentation and pin the blame on me. Maybe if they received more complaints it will move them to update the BIOS description so future users don't fall into the same system breaking issues we've encountered.

If Asrock would update their documentation and provide users with free BIOS chips who ran into this issue then that's what I would consider the right thing to do.
IronRinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronRinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 12:43am
Originally posted by tallshortguy tallshortguy wrote:

Hi IronInn, the 100% CPU usage was also the reason I updated my BIOS as I read the 3.1 update would fix the issue.

The new BIOS chip is $15, really it isn't the amount for why I'm upset as that's a pretty trivial amount. It's the principle of the matter that there doesn't seem to be any actual warnings that this update only works for Ivy Bridge, I don't know how anyone would assume that a BIOS update that only says "includes support for Ivy Bridge" would render Sandy Bridge, the CPU the board was originally designed for, inoperable with the MB.

I would recommend you contact support because the feedback I've gotten is to defend their lack of proper documentation and pin the blame on me. Maybe if they received more complaints it will move them to update the BIOS description so future users don't fall into the same system breaking issues we've encountered.

If Asrock would update their documentation and provide users with free BIOS chips who ran into this issue then that's what I would consider the right thing to do.

I agree, the documentation is terrible and the price for a new chip, while cheap, is besides that point. I will try contacting them. In the meantime, before I found this thread I found this thread on another forum that had a link to ROMs of ASRock's BIOSes (some of which ASRock still hosts on their site but have hidden in favor of the Windows installers) which should be able to be used by Instant Flash. They did not help in my case and Instant Flash still could not find the image, though I did not attempt to reflash 3.10.

Edited by IronRinn - 14 Aug 2015 at 2:30am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2015 at 2:28am
While I was focused on trying to find a fix for your issue, I forgot some basic information about this special BIOS update. Please read this carefully so you can fully understand the realities of this BIOS update.

In the past (before Windows 10), the Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge processor compatibility BIOS update provided for Intel 6 series chipset boards, could be successfully applied to systems that were using Sandy Bridge processors.

It was NOT a given that people using a Sandy Bridge processor, and applied this BIOS update, would then have a broken PC. This is true despite what the OP was told by ASRock support.

I spent a lot of time dealing with ASRock board users that applied this BIOS update on their Intel 6 series chipset boards with Sandy Bridge processors, in the ASRock forum sponsored by TweakTown.

At that time, performing this BIOS update incorrectly was the cause of issues experienced by some users of Intel 6 series chipset boards. Many users of Sandy Bridge processors verified that they did not have any issues after applying this BIOS update in that ASRock forum.

Now with the release and use of Windows 10, we are seeing new and unfortunate issues with these BIOS updates. 

While none of the above actually helps you with your issues, I needed to make it clear that prior to Windows 10, it was possible to use these BIOS updates with Sandy Bridge processors without any problems.

Now that we are experiencing issues with these BIOS updates when used with Windows 10, I imagine ASRock will look into this and hopefully find a fix and/or help users with their problems.
IronRinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronRinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 1:32am
So, I just got a response from ASRock support and, frankly, I am in shock. Here is their response:

Quote Thanks you for contacting ASRock support.
Mainboard does not support Windows 10.
Please visit the link below for mainboard's supported OS.
Check back later the link below again if future update.
(And then there is a link to the BIOS download page on their site.)

I explained that the previous BIOS had allowed me to boot into Windows, the only problem being the Task manager error and asked if there was any way to revert back to the old BIOS or get a new BIOS chip. What else do I say to this?

Edit: Well they're offering to send me a new BIOS chip (I assume not for free). Tallshortguy, do you have any idea what BIOS version you're getting? They're asking me what version I would like and I can't even remember what version I had. Upgrading to 3.10 was the first time I tried upgrading it since purchasing the board in 2011. Maybe 1.60? My order was placed on the same day 1.80 came out, so maybe it's safe to go with that one? I don't know.

Edited by IronRinn - 15 Aug 2015 at 2:56am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic