ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

P67 Extreme4 Not Booting After BIOS Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 11:41am
May I try to help you with BIOS versions?

One thing you can always do is look at the CMOS/BIOS chip on your board, which should have a label on it that indicates the BIOS version that was used on your board when it was manufactured.

The CMOS chip on your board is directly below the last blue SATA port on your board, and above the Reset switch on the board.

Some of the BIOS versions that existed for your board are 1.50, 1.60, 170. 1.80, 1.90, 2.00, and 2.10.

Version 2.10 seems to be the last version before the 3.10 version. You should be able to request any of those versions.
IronRinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronRinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 1:31am
Thanks, parsec! Seems my hunch was right and I had 1.60. Now I just have to mail them a check or money order (Really? No PayPal? Not even credit cards?) and wait for the new chip, I guess. I hope they get this stuff straightened out at some point.
MikeyJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 11:18am
Hi All,

I too got sucked into this issue trying to solve the 100% CPU issue with Win 10. Sort of luckily for me I had a dual boot Win 7 set up so I was able to get back in using my Win 7 OS. Still doesn't fix my Win 10 no boot issue tho. :( 

I'm very surprised ASRock was not more clear on the fact that 3.10 was not compatible with Win 10 right on the support page.

Just for reference, I've tried the 3.21A beta BIOS from a link found further up in the comments and it does not solve the problem. Here's to hoping they create an update to fix this!

IronRinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronRinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 12:48am
Originally posted by MikeyJ MikeyJ wrote:

Hi All,

I too got sucked into this issue trying to solve the 100% CPU issue with Win 10. Sort of luckily for me I had a dual boot Win 7 set up so I was able to get back in using my Win 7 OS. Still doesn't fix my Win 10 no boot issue tho. :( 

I'm very surprised ASRock was not more clear on the fact that 3.10 was not compatible with Win 10 right on the support page.

Just for reference, I've tried the 3.21A beta BIOS from a link found further up in the comments and it does not solve the problem. Here's to hoping they create an update to fix this!

I tried updating to 3.21A as well, just to see if it would by chance happen to boot up but yeah, no go. What processor are you running?

Edited by IronRinn - 18 Aug 2015 at 12:48am
MikeyJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by IronRinn IronRinn wrote:

Hi All,

I tried updating to 3.21A as well, just to see if it would by chance happen to boot up but yeah, no go. What processor are you running?

I'm running an i7 2600 Sandy Bridge.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 2:15am

Hi All,

Frankly, I don't think any mother board manufacture was aware of all the issues that Win 10 would cause.

Please try to understand and remember that every time a new version of Windows is released, that issues like these appear.

When Win 8 was first released, Microsoft had a web page where they asked users to post their experiences with drivers that worked and did not work with it! Confused 

Consider that when we think about whom is responsible for getting a new version of Windows working correctly across many differing hardware platforms. Pinch

The Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge compatibility BIOS update must be done carefully by itself, but add another variable to that such as a new release of Windows at the same time... is it really surprising if the combination of the two did not work?

I'm sorry guys, I simply want you all to keep these things in mind. Add to all this the release of the Skylake platform and all the new boards, and last minute UEFI/BIOS and driver updates which also must work with Windows 10... you can imagine how busy the mother board manufactures are at this time. The phrase "Perfect Storm" comes to mind. Ouch
tallshortguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallshortguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 7:32am
Was waiting for my new BIOS chip before posting updates. I got a 3.1 chip to make sure it wasn't a corrupt BIOS issue and it isn't. The vendor (not Asrock) offered to reflash any version I want. Parsec would you recommend 1.6 or 2.1? It seems that Ivy Bridge support is the issue. Thanks for the help, you've been much more helpful than Asrock support who stopped responding to my questions.

Edited by tallshortguy - 20 Aug 2015 at 7:38am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 12:11am
So the 3.10 BIOS version did not work with Windows 10? Don't forget there are driver updates that are needed with that BIOS updates, the Intel IME software being the most basic one. But if the PC won't boot, how can you update a driver, right?

I really don't know which version would be better with Windows 10. I would assume a later version would be the better bet, so 2.10 is what I would choose.

Sorry about your experience with support, I guess if they are out of ideas they stop responding.
MikeyJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MikeyJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 9:47am
OK, so I solved this and I'm very upset with myself because I should have known better!

Go into your BIOS.
Go to Advanced.
Go to Storage Configuration.
Make sure "SATA Mode Selection" is set to "AHCI".
Go down to "Marvell SATA3 Operation Mode" and make sure it's set to "AHCI Mode".
Exit and save changes.

These had changed back to their default settings as IDE on the BIOS update.

These were the only changes I made as far as I can remember and it booted right into Win10. If this doesn't work for you, the only thing I can think is that you may need to be on the beta 3.21a BIOS that I tried as a Hail Mary when nothing else was working.

Good Luck!
Mike 

PS - Yes, it fixes the 100% CPU issue!

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 12:49pm
Thanks for posting back with your fix MikeyJ. I am sure someone will find it useful Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic