ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

P67 Extreme4 Not Booting After BIOS Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronRinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by MikeyJ MikeyJ wrote:

OK, so I solved this and I'm very upset with myself because I should have known better!

Go into your BIOS.
Go to Advanced.
Go to Storage Configuration.
Make sure "SATA Mode Selection" is set to "AHCI".
Go down to "Marvell SATA3 Operation Mode" and make sure it's set to "AHCI Mode".
Exit and save changes.

These had changed back to their default settings as IDE on the BIOS update.

These were the only changes I made as far as I can remember and it booted right into Win10. If this doesn't work for you, the only thing I can think is that you may need to be on the beta 3.21a BIOS that I tried as a Hail Mary when nothing else was working.

Good Luck!
Mike 

PS - Yes, it fixes the 100% CPU issue!

I swear I tried this and it was still a no go, but I'll give it another shot on 3.21a.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 12:31am
Originally posted by MikeyJ MikeyJ wrote:

OK, so I solved this and I'm very upset with myself because I should have known better!

Go into your BIOS.
Go to Advanced.
Go to Storage Configuration.
Make sure "SATA Mode Selection" is set to "AHCI".
Go down to "Marvell SATA3 Operation Mode" and make sure it's set to "AHCI Mode".
Exit and save changes.

These had changed back to their default settings as IDE on the BIOS update.

These were the only changes I made as far as I can remember and it booted right into Win10. If this doesn't work for you, the only thing I can think is that you may need to be on the beta 3.21a BIOS that I tried as a Hail Mary when nothing else was working.

Good Luck!
Mike 

PS - Yes, it fixes the 100% CPU issue!

Thank you for posting your fix! Thumbs Up

P67 boards and their early UEFI/BIOS were new at the time when AHCI was finally becoming the default SATA mode, but that was not 100% consistent for all boards. Every BIOS update resets everything to default values, in your case that was IDE for the SATA mode.

As a RAID mode user, which is also not a default setting, I have it burned in my brain that I must reset the SATA mode after every UEFI/BIOS update or clear.

The problem with failing to boot in IDE mode when Windows was installed in AHCI mode is... a Windows issue that still exists today with Win 10, as you have seen. If the SATA mode changes, the SATA driver must change as well. For whatever reason, Windows cannot automatically change the driver. It can be done with a manual registry edit, but that can only be done if you can boot into Windows, of course.

No shame in telling us about this, exactly the opposite is true, you were brave enough to do so, and we thank you for that! Handshake

You are at least the second Win 10 upgrade user in this forum that fixed their Win 10 problem simply by fixing the SATA mode. I can only wonder how many more users can fix their Win 10 boot issue in this way. Ouch
IronRinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronRinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2015 at 6:06am
Yeah, didn't work for me. Oh well.
Shagni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shagni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 11:40pm
I ran into the same issue and it was fixed by changing mode.

So far pretty happy with Windows 10 but the lack of true drivers makes the system a tad slower.
IronRinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronRinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 10:16pm
Anyone know how long it usually takes ASRock to get a new chip out? It's been almost two weeks since I sent the check and I've heard nothing. They haven't even deposited the damn thing.

Edit: Finally heard back. Went out this Monday.

Edited by IronRinn - 02 Sep 2015 at 12:35am
IronRinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IronRinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 11:23pm
Well, figured I would check in. I received my chip from ASRock...

and it had the wrong BIOS on it. They sent 1.90. However, it doesn't matter because I CAN ACTUALLY BOOT INTO WINDOWS! Holy crap, after close to a month of this I have a functioning computer again!

That said, I still have the 100% CPU utilization problem. But I have a functioning computer. So I'm chalking it up as a win. Man, I am so relieved.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 11:27pm
Thanks for getting back to us, happy to hear you have your system up and running again!

The BIOS was probably a custom job specifically for your situation and needs. I am sorry to hear it did not resolve your other issue.
chrono03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrono03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 11:20am
Well, you can add another one to the list of people screwed over by updating my BIOS using a sandy bridge processor.  I also paid the 15 dollars to get a BIOS chip back from them and the dummies sent me a chip with 3.2 flashed on it.  Back to square one.  Anyone have any ideas about how to get the system functioning again?  
chrono03 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrono03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 1:02pm
Ok - So the best solution i was able to come up with was to flash BACK to 2.0 from the 3.3 bios update.  I know that this is ill-advised given the issues with the Intel management engine.  However, it does result in a stable PC that is operable.  If you plan on using windows 10, you'll have the 100% CPU usage, but at least you won't get BSOD's every few minutes.  

I don't want to try to flash back to 3.1 and risk having the same issues as before.  I am going to count my blessings that I have a (mostly) functional PC.  Link is attached below:

ftp://europe.asrock.com/BIOS/1155/P67%20Pro3(2.00)WIN.zip

Matol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 10:10pm
I registered only to thank MikeyJ.
I have a P63 Extreme and I5 2500k, updated bios to 3.3 and win7 wasn't starting, only giving me the repair option with no solution. Changed the bios settings to AHCI on the storage config and now I have a working computer again.

ps: I might just flash back to an older version after reading some of the problems others are having.

Edited by Matol - 27 Nov 2015 at 10:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic