ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi x370 issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundy72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi x370 issue
    Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 3:54am
BIOS 3.2
r5 1600x
G-Skill FlareX 3200
Corsair HX750 psu

It seems my bios settings are never retained. After encountering issueswith this, I started from scratch : I reset BIOS to default, raise CPU Multiplier for a 4000ghz OC, select XMP profile for ram (3200mhz),
TURN OFF boot training, bump up cpu voltage to 1.3875 and ram voltage to 1.36.

Even save this setting as a user setting.

It will boot and I get my setting in Windows, but if I shut the computer down and restart it the next day, the MB seems to boot default settings. Then I need to reboot Windows, go back into BIOS, make a tweak, and most of the time it will work only after that, but sometimes I need to repeat this process many times to get my BIOS settings to "stick". This is really frustrating, now requiring up to 5 minutes just to get my rig running at a successful OC upon cold boot. Any ideas why this is happening?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:22am
yes your overclocking IS NOT stable
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
roundy72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundy72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:34am
so, thanks for your reply, but this even happens when OC is on 3.8 (cipd is 3.6 stock).  is my 3.8 OC not stable as well?
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:50am
In my experience, cold boot issues are 90% related to DDR OC. Set XMP, raise DDR volts to 1.375, SoC to 1.1v, geardown enabled. Your FlareX are capable to boot without issue with that.

If it doesn't solve the cold boot problem, set XMP but back off one or two straps, ie 2933 or 3066 mem speed and test.

Anyway, my advise is to try one kind of OC at a time: first memory only and test, then CPU and test, and when you know how your CPU and RAM OC both perform, do the "all toghether" overclock.  
R7 1700 @3.90 1.25v - GSkill TridentZ 3200c16 Hynix MFR @2933 14-16-16-32 - Fatal1ty Gaming X370 K4 - Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 - WD 256 Black M2 Nvme as Windows 10 boot drive - EVGA Gold 650W
roundy72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundy72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:58am
thanks for the tips.  I've tried many combinations, even raising the BCLK a notch or two.  I have yet to oc just cpu or ram on this setup and leave it be for an extended period.  basically because I've had successful boots followed by extended gaming sessions w/ cpu @4000, ram @3200 - all with no issues or crashing, not sure why the settings won't work on consecutive boots.  been overclocking for about 12 years, honestly never had this behavior.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 5:49am
yes as above really

sorry for brief answer earlier i was gaming at the time

basically something in the overclock isnt as stable as we want

i have been thru same issues

i call it the cold boot loop of death

mine happens with the ram when i try to tighten up the timings to cl14
also try 3.8/3.9 at 1.38 volts just to make sure its not playing up with the 4 ghz

i would even suggest just trying the ram settings without any cpu overclock and find the stable cold boot first

things are better when

i set geardown = enabled
bankgroup swap = disabled
bank group swap alt = enabled

also i found it more helpful to set am4 boot traing to auto (it takes longer to boot but at least it actually boots)

for the record i had no issues at all in windows with a quick change of timings down to cl14 and even reboots were fine

it was just the cold boot that caused an issue
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 5:56am
I would concur, it sounds like an unstable RAM overclock. The issue isn't that the RAM isn't stable once booted but rather that it fails to initialize from cold boot. Try what Nangu suggested. Bare in mind that even now the AGESA code from AMD is still in it's infancy and prone to bugs, especially with RAM compatibility. 

4.0 and 3200 is good going with Ryzen, looks like you have a good chip on your hand Wink 

Good luck.
roundy72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundy72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 7:42am
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll follow your suggestions and get through this cold boot issue!
nangu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nangu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 11:36am
Originally posted by roundy72 roundy72 wrote:

thanks for the tips.  I've tried many combinations, even raising the BCLK a notch or two.  I have yet to oc just cpu or ram on this setup and leave it be for an extended period.  basically because I've had successful boots followed by extended gaming sessions w/ cpu @4000, ram @3200 - all with no issues or crashing, not sure why the settings won't work on consecutive boots.  been overclocking for about 12 years, honestly never had this behavior.

Yes, I feel the same. Ryzen is really frustrating with RAM OC. You stress test, benchmark, game for hours, and all it's ok, to only crash on you the next boot, and sometimes you reset to default and a previously working saved uefi profile never sticks anymore :-(

I think AMD need to get their boot training code right on next agesa, it's one of the main problems with cold boot issues imho.
R7 1700 @3.90 1.25v - GSkill TridentZ 3200c16 Hynix MFR @2933 14-16-16-32 - Fatal1ty Gaming X370 K4 - Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 - WD 256 Black M2 Nvme as Windows 10 boot drive - EVGA Gold 650W
roundy72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundy72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by nangu nangu wrote:

Originally posted by roundy72 roundy72 wrote:

Yes, I feel the same. Ryzen is really frustrating with RAM OC. You stress test, benchmark, game for hours, and all it's ok, to only crash on you the next boot, and sometimes you reset to default and a previously working saved uefi profile never sticks anymore :-(

I think AMD need to get their boot training code right on next agesa, it's one of the main problems with cold boot issues imho.

Definitely assuring to hear I'm not alone here, and to confirm my hardware isn't defective.  We'll just have to wait on fixes and keep fingers crossed!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic