ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - [Linux] Freezes on Asrock X370 Taichi + C6 enabled
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Linux] Freezes on Asrock X370 Taichi + C6 enabled

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Linux] Freezes on Asrock X370 Taichi + C6 enabled
    Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 6:57am
I have a problem with AMD based build. It periodically freezes the system (rather randomly, and not very frequently). Strangely, sometimes the cursor continues working, but everything else is frozen.

Configuration
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard: Asrock X370 Taichi
RAM: G.SKILL Flare X (2x8 GB), DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34)

RAM is installed in second and fourth slots (A2, B2) as recommended by the motherboard manual.

Currently in the EFI I have these settings:

XMP 2.0 profile: DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34 1.35 V
DRAM Frequency: DDR4-3200
AM4 Advance boot training: auto
Voltage mode: stable
DRAM voltage: 1.350 V
VTT-DDR: 0.680 V
all other settings on auto.

In this build I already RMA'd the CPU (because of known AMD segfaults bug) and the motherboard (coil whine), and also tested it with a different power supply. The freezing problem persists.

I tried a few tweaks before. Such as increasing DRAM voltage to 1.375 V, increasing ProcODT to 60 Ohm (separately from the DRAM voltage though). That didn't help.

Can you recommend any way to fix this by adjusting any motherboard settings? Or the only way to fix is to RMA the memory, besides running it at lower frequency?

Edited by shmerl - 01 Mar 2018 at 2:47am
Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 3:31am
Hi there,

I read your situation and am curious regarding a couple of things. Have you used just 1 stick @3200mhz in slot B2? Does it freeze with the one stick as well? If not then swap in the second stick and try running it alone @3200mhz in slot B2.

Also you may truly *need* higher CPU voltage and/or SOC voltage. Such as manually setting your CPU voltage to 1.35(or higher - yes...CPU) volts and manually setting your SOC voltage to 1.1 or higher in addition to your already set DRAM Voltage of 1.35 volts(mentioned in your post). Finally you may have to attempt SOC LLC settings for level 4,3,2 or even 1. Whatever is needed. I run 64GB and *need* LLC 2, although I have run it at SOC LLC level 1 as well when I ran 64GB @3200mhz. I currently run with slightly tighter timings @3066mhz and SOC LLC 2.

Hope your build finds stability as you have already invested a lot of time and effort with you system. Best success!

Edited by Kevin A - 24 Oct 2017 at 11:09pm
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Kevin A Kevin A wrote:

Have you used just 1 stick @3200mhz in slot B2? Does it freeze with the one stick as well? If not then swap in the second stick and try running it alone @3200mhz in slot B2.

Thanks. If that happens, it will demonstrate that one stick is defective?
Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2017 at 11:22pm
Not necessarily a defective DDR4 stick, could be however. Could be a bad BIOS flash, a weaker SOC(that operates some PCIE functionality, Integrated Memory Controller, etc.) on your 1700X. It could even be something in your Linux install/configuration. It could be a bad 'DDR stick pairing', which is usually indicated by serial numbers on the DDR4 sticks that are out of 'sequence' - but not always.

Thus some 'basic' steps to figure out what is 'going on' needed to be suggested. At least some steps that I would (and have over the years with various builds) try.

Again, hope you have success with your build and figure out the freezing issue. As for me I am thrilled with my Ryzen 1800X, and pretty much all of my components in my build... - cept still not thrilled with the BIOS from ASRock. I complement ASRock on a very 'high' quality component level design and build on the Fatality X370 Gaming Pro which I own. However I have fought with the ASRock BIOS revisions more than any MSI/Tyan/Asus/ECS or SuperMicro system I have ever owned/configured/supported/used. But nonetheless it 'is what it is' and 'soldier on' and stuff...

Edited by Kevin A - 24 Oct 2017 at 11:23pm
Peter13779 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter13779 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 12:27am
I own the same config but little differend RAM. I had to downgrade my G.SKILL F4-3200C15D-32GVK (2x16GB CL15-15-15-35 1,35V) to 2933@CL18 1.45V to use any of the latest BIOS versions.

Hopefully there is an update soooooon ...
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Peter13779 Peter13779 wrote:

I own the same config but little differend RAM. I had to downgrade my G.SKILL F4-3200C15D-32GVK (2x16GB CL15-15-15-35 1,35V) to 2933@CL18 1.45V to use any of the latest BIOS versions.

Did it work for you before the update? Did you contact Asrock support for any recommendation on MB settings? I wonder if they can help with this.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by shmerl shmerl wrote:

Did it work for you before the update? Did you contact Asrock support for any recommendation on MB settings? I wonder if they can help with this.

In your first post, you asked about adjusting mother board settings to get your memory stable at 3200. You seem certain that it is a memory problem, but it is not clear to me why.

It was suggested you increase the SOC voltage, which is a standard configuration for a Ryzen memory over clock. The default SOC voltage is 0.900V, increase it to 1.100V, Fixed voltage mode, LLC at 1 or 2. Did you try that?

Another suggestion is as said above, reduce the memory speed to 2933 or 3066, at least for a test to see if the freezing stops. Have you ever used your memory at it default speed of 2400, without any freezing?

Memory compatibility and over clocking speed are the worst issues Ryzen has had since its release. Any memory speed over 2667 is a memory OC, and not guaranteed. Ryzen processors were released to the public before AMD had its CPU microcode developed to the point it should have been. The first several AGESA versions were poor, only a few memory speeds were supported and only five memory parameters were available for configuration. Ryzen memory compatibility was, and still is to some degree, rather random and unpredictable.

We have no idea which UEFI version you have installed. AMD has provided several AGESA CPU microcode updates that are part of several UEFI updates. The new AGESA versions are meant to provide enhanced memory compatibility, speed, and stability. In actual use most people saw improvements, but others did not.AMD is planning yet another AGESA update (1.0.0.7) in the near future, that is so different it will require a major rework of the current UEFI code. This demonstrates how immature the CPU microcode was upon Ryzen's release, and still is currently.

I have the same G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GFX memory, used with an ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac board and 1700X. Only the latest UEFI/AGESA versions allowed the memory to operate at 3200, and that is still setting the secondary and tertiary memory settings manually, the XMP profile is not optimal. That is both AMD's and G.SKILL's issue, but mainly AMD's.

Since you are using Linux, what do you use for the AMD chipset drivers?

Edited by parsec - 25 Oct 2017 at 12:19pm
Kevin A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Peter13779 Peter13779 wrote:

That is a significant downgrade for your memory. I would think that @2933 speed you could get C14 timings(possibly). Your memory is a decent kit so perhaps some additional attempts may net better performance at a lower voltage as well. Then again, if you are happy @2933Mhz speed for the here and now - then 'all is good'!

shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 3:01pm
I suspect it's RAM related, since I already RMA'd the motherboard and CPU both (each for different reasons though as I explained in my first post), but RAM is the same I had from the time I started building this system. Plus, it works without freezes at lower RAM frequency, see below.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

It was suggested you increase the SOC voltage, which is a standard configuration for a Ryzen memory over clock. The default SOC voltage is 0.900V, increase it to 1.100V, Fixed voltage mode, LLC at 1 or 2. Did you try that?

Since I'm using XMP profile, the SOC voltage is already set to 1.104 V (EFI does that automatically when XMP profile is selected).

Another suggestion is as said above, reduce the memory speed to 2933 or 3066, at least for a test to see if the freezing stops. Have you ever used your memory at it default speed of 2400, without any freezing?

It's still freezing at 3066 MHz, but works well at 2933 MHz for me.

We have no idea which UEFI version you have installed.

I'm using latest available from Asrock (3.20), which ships with AGESA 1.0.0.6b and microcode 0x8001129.

AMD is planning yet another AGESA update (1.0.0.7) in the near future, that is so different it will require a major rework of the current UEFI code. This demonstrates how immature the CPU microcode was upon Ryzen's release, and still is currently.

Thanks, that's good to know. Hopefully they can fix some memory related issues in it.

I have the same G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-16GFX memory, used with an ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac board and 1700X. Only the latest UEFI/AGESA versions allowed the memory to operate at 3200, and that is still setting the secondary and tertiary memory settings manually, the XMP profile is not optimal.

How exactly did you set these options?

Since you are using Linux, what do you use for the AMD chipset drivers?

Pretty much default out of the box kernel support (kernel 4.13.4 as it ships in Debian testing). I know for sensors for example, it's using nct6779.

Edited by shmerl - 26 Oct 2017 at 3:13pm
shmerl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shmerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 8:34am
Just got one freeze at 2933 MHz.

Edited by shmerl - 27 Oct 2017 at 2:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic