ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

internal hard drive detected as removable?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlenezt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: internal hard drive detected as removable?
    Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 10:49pm
hi there, i just build my new system yesterday, using Asrock AB350 Gaming K4 motherboard and ryzen 5 1600 cpu, im using windows 10

i am confused, why is my internal hard drive detected as removable in the "safely remove hardware and eject media", i have try the regedit from microsoft support page (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3083627/internal-sata-drives-show-up-as-removeable-media) and its not working.

i want to ask, is the SATA / AHCI driver for this motherboard is using "standard ahci controller" from microsoft? is there any specific ahci driver for this motherboard besides the asmedia one?
i plug my hdd to the b350 chipset sata port(the 4 sata port)

sorry for my bad english Confused
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 11:04pm
on my taichi

there is bios option (enable/disable ) HOT SWAP  this is probably why its displaying as removeable select 'disable'
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
littlenezt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlenezt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 11:10pm
hi  there, thanks for replying, the hotswap option is already disabled by default on my motherboard using the latest bios. any idea?

Edited by littlenezt - 04 Nov 2017 at 11:12pm
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 12:55am
im afraid not

i used to get this on an older amd system and never worked out why

to be fair it didnt bother me enough to have more than a quick look at google, so i left it as a removeable drive
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 10:17am
Originally posted by littlenezt littlenezt wrote:

hi there, i just build my new system yesterday, using Asrock AB350 Gaming K4 motherboard and ryzen 5 1600 cpu, im using windows 10

i am confused, why is my internal hard drive detected as removable in the "safely remove hardware and eject media", i have try the regedit from microsoft support page (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3083627/internal-sata-drives-show-up-as-removeable-media) and its not working.

i want to ask, is the SATA / AHCI driver for this motherboard is using "standard ahci controller" from microsoft? is there any specific ahci driver for this motherboard besides the asmedia one?
i plug my hdd to the b350 chipset sata port(the 4 sata port)

sorry for my bad english Confused

You answered your own question in a way. You have that drive connected to one of the ASMedia SATA ports, not an AMD SATA port.

Do you have the ASMedia SATA driver installed? Did you open the Properties of the ASMedia SATA Controller in Device Manager? If you have the ASMedia SATA driver installed, it will be listed under Storage Controllers. You should be able to configure the Policy for the ASMedia SATA controller, to enable or disable "hot swap", which is the eject media.

If you don't have the ASMedia driver installed, then it will be using the standard Microsoft storahci AHCI driver, and be listed in Device Manager under ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

The only SATA drivers that can be installed for the ASMedia SATA controller are the ASMedia or Microsoft drivers.

Your PC also has an AMD SATA controller, which is part of the CPU, since it is an SOC type of processor. Your board's manual will identify which SATA ports are the AMD ports, and the ASMedia ports. For some reason the AMD "All in One" chipset driver installer does not install the AMD AHCI driver for the AMD SATA controller. Instead the Microsoft storahci driver is installed. It is possible to manually install the AMD AHCI driver using files included in the AMD All in One chipset download, but that is not related to the ASMedia SATA controller.

The standard AHCI controller entry you see should be for the AMD SATA controller, IF you installed the ASMedia driver. Otherwise you will see two entries of standard AHCI controller. Or if you are not using any of the AMD SATA ports, you may only get an entry for the ASMedia controller. I can't tell from your post if you are only using the one ASMedia SATA port, or any others.

littlenezt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlenezt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 1:57pm
hi , thanks for your effort to reply, i somehow manage to fix this "issue" (well not really an issue, its just ocd things i guess) LOL 

so yesterday i plugged my hard drive to the sata3_1 and sata3_2 port, and the bios option for hotplug didnt work. because of curiosity, i simply plug my drive to sata3_3 and sata3_4 and my hard drive not detected as removable because the bios settings for hotplug is disabled. when i enable it , my hard drive becomes removable again (the hotplug bios option works)

if im not mistaken the ryzen have its own sata controller on the cpu itself and the chipset have its own + asmedia (probably thats why when i first clean install the windows it shows 3x "standard ahci controller"

i think the sata3_1 and sata_2 port is controlled by the ryzen sata controller, sata3_3 and sata3_4 is controlled by the b350 chipset, probably thats why the bios option for hotplug is not working when i plug my drive to the sata3_1 and 2 port

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic