ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fails to boot multiple times followed by success
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fails to boot multiple times followed by success

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oopsmepoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fails to boot multiple times followed by success
    Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 9:57am
So I am using an ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Pro Gaming i7 motherboard and everytime I boot the computer it takes several moments and then a screen saying "Computer failed to boot multiple times....". After this screen the computer boots perfectly fine. While running the computer seems to run fine, hasn't been any recent blue screens. 

I've tried resetting the CMOS and loading defaults in BIOS. Same problem. 

I've tried turning off CPU overclocking, same problem.

One thing to note that may be related is that my ram, even though set to XMP profile with 3600 Mhz frequency in the BIOS, only show roughly 1076 Mhz (so 2152 MHz total) while the PC is running.

Is the computer failing to boot due to overclocking the ram, which fails leading to computer restarts? If not any other ideas? 

PC Specs:

ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Pro Gaming i7

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) F4-3600C16D-16GVK

2 x Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G in SLI

Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1 TB

Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB

Corsair ax1200i atx power supply

Intel i7-6700K overclocked @ 4.7 Ghz

Corsair H100i v2

Edited by Oopsmepoops - 13 Nov 2017 at 9:57am
Oopsmepoops View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oopsmepoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:33am
Update: So I removed two of the ram sticks from slots A2/B2. Started the computer with default BIOS settings and boom, success! No message about computer failing to boot multiple times.

Next I tried to OC the two (2x 8GB) ram sticks to 3600 Mhz. Restarted PC and am hit with the "failed to boot multiple times..." message. 

Finally I tried with 1 stick of ram which yielded same results as with two sticks. No OC, pc boots fine. With OC...problems.

I also noticed this specific memory module is not on the motherboard supported list. Not that I expect all varieties of sticks to be tested, am I to assume that this motherboard only supports 16gb for this specific model, non OCd?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Oopsmepoops Oopsmepoops wrote:

So I am using an ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Pro Gaming i7 motherboard and everytime I boot the computer it takes several moments and then a screen saying "Computer failed to boot multiple times....". After this screen the computer boots perfectly fine. While running the computer seems to run fine, hasn't been any recent blue screens. 

I've tried resetting the CMOS and loading defaults in BIOS. Same problem. 

I've tried turning off CPU overclocking, same problem.

One thing to note that may be related is that my ram, even though set to XMP profile with 3600 Mhz frequency in the BIOS, only show roughly 1076 Mhz (so 2152 MHz total) while the PC is running.

Is the computer failing to boot due to overclocking the ram, which fails leading to computer restarts? If not any other ideas? 

PC Specs:

ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Pro Gaming i7

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) F4-3600C16D-16GVK

2 x Aorus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G in SLI

Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1 TB

Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB

Corsair ax1200i atx power supply

Intel i7-6700K overclocked @ 4.7 Ghz

Corsair H100i v2

Given your description, your memory OC is failing, which is causing Windows to fail to boot. The UEFI/BIOS is then resetting the memory speed to its default value, 2133, or a frequency of 1067 so the PC can boot. Check the specifications of your memory for its default speed:

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3600c16d-16gvk

The frequency that you listed, 1076MHz, is not a standard Intel memory frequency or "divider" as it is called. If some software is showing you a frequency of 1076, that is strange, and should be wrong. If you check the memory frequencies available in the UEFI/BIOS, if they are shown that way, you won't find a memory frequency of 1076MHz. The specs for your board and any Intel Z170 board do not include a memory speed of 1076MHz/2152:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Professional%20Gaming%20i7/?cat=Specifications

DDR memory means Dual Data Rate, so the resulting data transfer speed is twice that of the actual memory frequency. Memory with a speed of 3600 has a memory frequency of 1800MHz.

A memory speed of 3600/1800MHz is a high OC for a Z170 system and i7-6700K. Just because your memory's top OC speed is 3600, does not mean the memory controller in your CPU is capable of providing that speed. Memory OCs are not guaranteed. The highest specified memory speed for your CPU is 2133:

https://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

Memory OCs up to 3200 are not too difficult for a Skylake processor, but beyond that they become more difficult. If you check the Memory Support List for your board, you won't find any 8GB DIMMs listed at a speed of 3600. The higher the memory speed, the more difficult it is to OC a larger amount of memory, in your case two 8GB DIMMs:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Professional%20Gaming%20i7/?cat=Memory

Try a lower memory speed set manually after you apply the XMP profile, start at 3200 and see if the PC boots. Or you can try increasing the VCCSA and VCCIO voltages in the UEFI/BIOS, which have already been increased over their default values when you applied the XMP profile. Check that the DRAM Voltage is at 1.35V, but it should be set at that by the XMP profile.

You don't want to continue having booting failures due to an overly high memory OC. That can cause corruption in your Windows installation.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic