ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi X370/1700X/Flare X 3200-14!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 6:53pm
a point to note
recently i let my system grab the fcu 1709

and then proceeded to go thru the steps to turn OFF all the bloatware (really nice way of saying spyware) that comes to ermmmmm 'help' windows see everything about us to 'make our lives easier'

there are a few you tubes vids that walk you through options to turn off and what they do, and if you really need them

as parsec mentioned above there is another option availble
it does involve some more mucking around circa 20-30 mins if your not used to it

and that is '1usmus' designed ryzen calculator

this guy wrote a program based on taking the timings set by the ram xmp and working out the quaility of your chips and then providing tables more tuned to amd ryzen than to intels cpu/bios

its been hugely successful (although its not a sure fire way to remove the need for amd advanced boot training)
i actually use it myself with my ram to lower the timings, my best result was this weekend helping a mate reset his corsair ram at same speed but with ryzen tuned timings to get a 40+ fps increase in his game (i suspect a very bad choice was made by his bios for original xmp settings caused the problem)

heres the link for you if you want to have a look, (remember though if your stable now to save a bios profile to able you to quickly revert back if needed)

http://www.overclock.net/t/1640919/ryzen-dram-calculator-overclocking-dram

I CANT STRESS ENOUGH
please make sure you follow ALL the settings and options provided, these ram settings are designed to all work with each other, cherry picking just the cl14/14/14/14/28/42 and then ignoring other timings/settings and volt option etc may not work very smoothly

ask my lazy ass how i know this Big smile
and also note the cad_bus settings there are two sections so make sure your adjusting the exact wierdly named options suggested in the calculator
best way is to run the program then print off the results to refer to when in bios
i suggest using 3200 fast options for timings for your ram

or plan B  save your time and stress levels and stick with what you have working now ,theres a lot of logic to that
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 6:16pm
Wow! I downloaded Thaiphoon and the Ryzen DRAM Calculator programs. Since I am lazy and prone to screwing up details (and the BIOS is unforgiving) is there anybody out there that is willing to share the settings generated by the Calculator program for my configuration. Or...is all Flare X 3200-14 (F4-3200C14D-16GFX)/Taichi X370/1700X not the same and require custom Advanced Timing settings?

Edited by Ken429 - 23 Nov 2017 at 1:23am
X470 Taichi, 3800X (BIOS Defaults), BIOS v3.60, Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB, 2 crucial MX500 1TB, G.Skill 2X 2X8 3200-14, EVGA 1660Ti SC, EVGA 750 G3, W10 1903

Soccah123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccah123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 12:29am
Hi Ken, I was thinking of buying taichi with same gskill flareX ram, but after seeing a buildzoid review on youtube, essentially saying taichi is not worth it -- too many uefi issues -- im second guessing myself.  Problem is every single AM4 board is having problems, each with their own advantages/disadvantages. I'm just an average user, looking to get 3200 CAS 14 speeds on DRAM and 3.8/3.9 on CPU. So not asking for a lot.

Though Asus, MSI, Geforce are all better than Asrock currently in terms of CPU and RAM stability, they suffer from more "permanent" or hardware issues. Asus boards have issues with fan controllers/speeds, whereas Gigabyte boards have crackling audio.

Gotta pick some poison as they say.  At least the Taichi is a UEFI issue that can presumably be fixed.  But have to ask ourselves -- is it worth it? Maybe trade in for an Asus or Gigabyte board? They've had plenty of time to fix these issues, but since profit drives their interest over consumer satisfaction (as is the case for all board manufacturers), they don't.  Instead, they have to keep putting out new boards for the latest chipsets and try to ensure that they will at least work, so intel/amd can actually sell their new skews.

Whole thing is sh*t show -- competition between AMD and Intel has changed the market, which is nice, but as a result, consumer stability suffers as mobo manufacturers find themselves understaffed to essentially handle the industry wide changes that come with AMD's reintry into an otherwise monopolized field of production.

It'll prob be by the middle of next year before the AM4 boards are actually stable and functioning, and can handle the hardware, as it is advertised, without endless tinkering in the UEFI.

But I wish you the best of luck, and myself too -- I'll prob end up going Taichi and FlareX, and put in the work and frustration to get the products working as advertised, just cause the only alternatives are crackling audio on everything I do, or overbearing case sound from uncontrolled fan curves.

But know this -- the consumer always suffer, even when it seems like he gains.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 2:27am
BUILDZIOD ???

jesus i cant even bear to listen to his ramblings ,not too mention his entire video about power phases and volts that was totally wrong

the only possible issue with the taichi and its bios now is

if you happen to buy a cpu that suffers from the multibug, and then you have to manually do a work around in bios to overclock it

wow wee........

really ?

watching videos where a guy is trying to speak with less ability to maintain a sentance than a crack addict isnt my idea of fun

theres plenty of sensible balanced and more calm videos to watch on the taichi from
yestechcity and Brian Mclachlan (guiness world record holder and amd assistant/insider)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8deNlA1Aznc&feature=youtu.be (the multibug workaround)

ive had the taichi since release (i was one of the first in u.k. to get the board)

its been very easy going and simple
everything just plugged and played like a old trusted platform
it really annoyed me buildziod ranting on like he was ceo of asrock just because at early bios he had to reset a voltage when whacking about with un-needed adjustments for bckclk

a whole video repeating the same old moaning and it wasnt even relevent

taichi overclocking
click click type type type click click done !

add to fact its written in english not double dutch like gigabyte and msi like to name something really stupid names
eg llc is called llc  not some weird and abstract name like core stabilsation or something real dumb

dram settings = all in one sub tab

msi dram open tab after tab after tab to find 4 parts of settings then find another tab with another 4 parts

you forgot to mention the two posted dead crooshair heros today on overclockers forum with there new beta 1070 agesa bios (that wont recover even with there flashback bios tool)
surprise thats nothing new is it asus top end boards frying after trying to update bios

jeeeeeessssss

okay rant over now Smile

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 10:48pm
Parsec, datonyb,

Back to my original issue. Attached is a screen shot of what the Ryzen Calculator came up with based on my entries. Does this look like I'm close to what I need to enter in the Advance DRAM Timing section of the BIOS so I can turn off XMP?

https://imgur.com/a/s6cxp

Edited by Ken429 - 24 Nov 2017 at 10:50pm
X470 Taichi, 3800X (BIOS Defaults), BIOS v3.60, Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB, 2 crucial MX500 1TB, G.Skill 2X 2X8 3200-14, EVGA 1660Ti SC, EVGA 750 G3, W10 1903

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 3:19am

you dont need to turn off xmp

you just adjust it (well i did anyway)

the screenshot of your is very almost what im running presently
except i have trrdl 8 and rtt nom disabled (mine was worked out on v5 calculator)

it has been rock solid now for about 5 days and seems smoother than my previous 3333 cl 14 (felt a bit laggy on mouse)

Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 9:25pm
I'm sure I'm making this more difficult that it should be but...a few more questions.

The Taichi BIOS has two places to adjust DRAM timings, one under the OC Tweaker Tab and another under the Advanced TAB AMD CBS/AMD SBS. The one under the Advance Tab only shows details when Overclock is set to Enabled. When you turn on XMP the Overclock setting is automatically set to Enabled.

Most of the settings are the same in both places except a lowercase "t" is used under the OC Tweaker DRAM Timing Configuration and in the Advanced AMD SBS DRAM Timing Configuration an Upper Case "T" is used.

The output of the Ryzen DRAM Calculator program uses a lower case "t" to refer to the recommended detailed DRAM timing changes.

Where do I go to put in the recommended settings - OC Tweaker Tab or Advance Tab?

To get back my 10 seconds of boot time should I turn off XMP and AM4 Advanced Training? Or does the timing overrides turn off the need for the BIOS to spend 10 seconds trying to figure out what settings to use?

Edited by Ken429 - 25 Nov 2017 at 9:44pm

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 11:18pm
yes the TWO different places are a tad confusing at first but

the one to use is the first main page oc tweaker
here when expanded you find nearly everything you need to set.and i mean nearly all

these can be set directly as the calculator lays out
(the more hidden section in amd sbs has a mix of hex codes and normal timings so its very difficult to do it there)

xmp can be left on (this to be fair should have set most to close to ideal anyway)
now as for your ten seconds boot time and amd training, i suggest leaving it on at least at first
to find out two things
first does the system always start with desired settings,
and secondly the tricky 'cold boot' issue,
we often find settings can run flawlessly under windows for hours on test and be perfectly stable ,only to shut down the system overnight come back the next day and it refuse to cold boot and then totally reset the entire bios to safe mode/default
this is very annoying

so i advise after entering ALL settings from the calculator to at least save it as a bios profile

the other tip is the settings for termination block (procodt/rtt nom/rtt wr/rtt park) and the settings for cad bus block (clkdrv/addcmr etc etc ) can be trickier to find in taichi bios ,so have a hunt around for them

also to note amd bios versions have started limiting the cldo-vddp voltage to values above 700
depending on your bios you may not be able to enter a suggested value of say 425 (which mine is at present on bios 3.1)

it may sound complicated ,but it really isnt
just print off anything you may need to refer too or even take a picture on your smartphone

and get stuck into the bios ,and OWN THAT MACHINE !

Thumbs Up

Ken429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 6:21am
Ok, I entered all the settings I could find in the BIOS from the DRAM Calculator. The only ones that I had issue with were "BGS Disable" and "BGS alt Disable". I could not find anything in the BIOS that looked like BGS?!

I entered 24 for (Rec.1) for the CAD_Bus stuff and the system did not like it so I entered 30 (Rec. 2). The system then booted normally.

Other than that the system booted OK and appears to run normally, I'll exercise it for a few days and see if anything bad happens.

At least according to AIDA64 the memory is running a little faster with the new settings in the Read, Write and Copy tests. The Latency also improved from 72.9 to 68.8.

After I'm confident that the system is stable I'll run my "Handbrake Benchmark" and see if there is any real world improvement. Also, I'll venture into turning off XMP and/or AM4 Advanced Boot Training looking to get the 10 seconds back in the cold boot to the first BIOS post screen.

Thanks for the all help so far, there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel for the Flare X 3200-4 memory.

Edited by Ken429 - 27 Nov 2017 at 7:16pm

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 9:38pm
ok

bank group swap and bankgroupswap alt should be around the advanced page under zen common options or dram options area (these also help with latency) and in some cases instability

on my taichi the 4 cad bus were all in same sub menu bios version 3.1

i did warn you they were a little tricky to find Smile

p.s. the flarex 3200 is really a very good ram ,its just early days here still

more seasoned (read that as insanely patient tweakers) have got it to 3433mhz in most cases at cica cl14 timings, some are even reporting stable 3600 now

Edited by datonyb - 26 Nov 2017 at 9:40pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic