ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Button Cable Location on Motherboard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wussery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Your confusion is understandable, since the system panel header is usually oriented the long way horizontally, rather than vertically as it is on an ITX board.

Picture from the manual:

For this board, the power button connector from the PC chassis is connected to the two pins you have circled in red, above in your picture. That is, the GND (ground) pin for the PWRBTN pin is directly above it.

NONE of the connectors from the PC case should be connected with their two pins horizontally on this header, they should all be connected vertically.

The ground or negative (-) pins for each of the four connections is the negative/- pin directly above each type of connection.

The PLED and HDLED + and - connections are oriented vertically in the picture. It would be inconsistent to then have the PWRBTN and RESET connections oriented horizontally on this connector. Which is why they aren't oriented horizontally.

Regarding which wire from the PC case is + or -/ground, that depends upon the PC case manufacture. Some PC cases put a + and - on the plastic connector itself. Others color code the wires, as said above. It is true that the negative/ground wire will normally have a while line or white dashes on it. If that is not the situation with your PC case, that is beyond the control of a mother board manufacture.

Do I need to open up a ticket with Asrock to get a "picture" diagramming where each cable should go or should I continue to try all variations with the potential of damaging my motherboard? This lack of clarity may be the reason why nothing would power up at all with my first motherboard. My second motherboard is exhibiting a power recycle loop. I have elected to get a new CPU and Memory sticks to rule out these components, but this all may be pilot error because I can't figure out where some stupid cables should be connected.
MOBO: ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB DDR4 3200
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC
PSU: EVGA 750 B3
Cooler: Cryorig C7
Boot Disk: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 256GB SSD
wussery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wussery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 10:01am
Here is an official picture from Asrock Technical support on this issue.

Edited by wussery - 02 Dec 2017 at 10:38am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 10:45am
Originally posted by wussery wussery wrote:

Your confusion is understandable, since the system panel header is usually oriented the long way horizontally, rather than vertically as it is on an ITX board.

Picture from the manual:

For this board, the power button connector from the PC chassis is connected to the two pins you have circled in red, above in your picture. That is, the GND (ground) pin for the PWRBTN pin is directly above it.

NONE of the connectors from the PC case should be connected with their two pins horizontally on this header, they should all be connected vertically.

The ground or negative (-) pins for each of the four connections is the negative/- pin directly above each type of connection.

The PLED and HDLED + and - connections are oriented vertically in the picture. It would be inconsistent to then have the PWRBTN and RESET connections oriented horizontally on this connector. Which is why they aren't oriented horizontally.

Regarding which wire from the PC case is + or -/ground, that depends upon the PC case manufacture. Some PC cases put a + and - on the plastic connector itself. Others color code the wires, as said above. It is true that the negative/ground wire will normally have a while line or white dashes on it. If that is not the situation with your PC case, that is beyond the control of a mother board manufacture.

Do I need to open up a ticket with Asrock to get a "picture" diagramming where each cable should go or should I continue to try all variations with the potential of damaging my motherboard? This lack of clarity may be the reason why nothing would power up at all with my first motherboard. My second motherboard is exhibiting a power recycle loop. I have elected to get a new CPU and Memory sticks to rule out these components, but this all may be pilot error because I can't figure out where some stupid cables should be connected.

So you find my description inadequate? You cannot understand it at all? To the extent that you find it completely useless?

wussery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wussery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 10:54am

Picture from the manual:

So you find my description inadequate? You cannot understand it at all? To the extent that you find it completely useless?

Your explanation was clear but non-intuitive. Why did Asrock change the orientation of the Reset and Power Button cables in respect to the PLED and HLED cables? I don't think I've ever done this in any other motherboard. I have built two Asus and One MSI motherboard and their manuals are clearer and the front panel pin orientation doesn't change up as you connect the other cables.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 11:04am

Here is an official picture from Asrock Technical support on this issue.

which is exactly as i told you 9 days ago ...............
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
rci124 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rci124 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 8:36am
Thank you Wussery I had the same question about the Power and reset connectors. The picture from ASRock cleared up the confusion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic