ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X399 Taichi pci.sys windows 7 x64 stop d1 bsod

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 9:42am
Originally posted by kgonepostl kgonepostl wrote:

Already had windows 7 installed from previous builds.

Fresh OS install.

Swapping HDD/OS from one platform to a different one almost always fails.
kgonepostl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgonepostl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 10:11am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Originally posted by kgonepostl kgonepostl wrote:

Already had windows 7 installed from previous builds.

Fresh OS install.

Swapping HDD/OS from one platform to a different one almost always fails.

Ya, except it's the same exact error everybody else here is having. An OS reinstall isn't gonna fix anything. I paid $350 for this motherboard. I want a solution.

Edited by kgonepostl - 20 Mar 2018 at 10:11am
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 1:38pm
A few things need to be noted here:

1. You cannot judge the stability of a system that is using a carry over OS install, conflicts will be present even with near identical specs between the two systems.
2. Windows 7 is not supported on Ryzen and Threadripper systems. This is Microsoft's doing not manufacturers.

You may well be having similar BSODs to other users in this thread but if your OS installation is not specific to your build (was installed on another system) then we can't help you. There is absolutely no way for us to know what issues are legitimate and which are caused by driver and resource conflicts inherited by the drive being swapped from a different system with different drivers and hardware.

As you can see in this thread, there are people willing to try and help get Windows 7 working on these unsupported systems but the OS installation needs to be fresh and uncorrupted or we are wasting our time. I can understand you are frustrated but if you are not willing to follow the advice given then there is nothing anyone here can do to help you.

The simple solution to your problem, that all manufacturers will recommend, is to install a fresh copy of Windows 10. This will alleviate most of the issues if not all because the OS is actually supported. If you are intent on trying to make windows 7 work then you need to follow the advice given and be ready for a long haul of issues, workarounds and headaches.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgonepostl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 11:21pm
Ok, first off, you do support threadripper, that's why I bought this board, on your support page you have all drivers for windows 7. You even have a usb slipstream tool for windows 7 in beta, so cut the crap. Second of all, you may be right, I'm re-installing windows 7. See you in a couple hours once it's installed.

Edited by kgonepostl - 20 Mar 2018 at 11:46pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 1:07am
Please bare in mind that this is a user forum and those that choose to help you do so of their free will, not out of any sort of obligation. Even the moderation team here are users like yourself, not ASRock support staff so kindly keep it friendly...

Windows 7 does not officially support Threadripper, this is a fact. ASRock has provided drivers for Windows 7 because there are drivers made available for it, this is in conflict with Microsoft's supported platform specifications. So while yes, you can install Windows 7 and it can be made to work correctly, it is NOT officially supported by Microsoft. In this case, ASRock is providing drivers, that is all. 

Let us know how the clean installation goes for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgonepostl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 3:07am
I apologize, I thought you were official employees, thank you for your time. I used an untouched iso from a respectable source, I then used the official usb injector on the support page for my motherboard to slipstream the usb drivers, and install the iso on my thumb drive.

I then plugged the thumb drive into the back of my computer into a usb 3.0 slot, and continued with the install. However, when I booted off the usb (non uefi), once the windows loading screen ended, it would bsod with the same code I had previously, the same one everybody else here is mentioning. There is nothing else I could have done better. What can I do? Is there some bios options I should turn off? Thank you for your time.Reply
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 3:23am
Generally speaking, you will want to run your initial install on factory default settings (preferably right after clearing CMOS). From there you can then get a better idea of what settings are or are not causing issues. If all goes smoothly on defaults then enable XMP and boot again. Rinse and repeat with each of the settings you usually change until one hiccups. 

If the OS will not install/is unstable then you can try setting up a Linux Live USB key and see if you can boot into a stable Linux OS. Go with a major distro like Mint, Ubuntu etc that should support Threadripper by now. The reason for this is to rule out hardware issues, if the Linux distro boots and runs fine then our issue is with windows 7 in particular and we have a solid place to start.

Edited by Xaltar - 21 Mar 2018 at 3:23am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgonepostl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 12:11pm
I reset the CMOS, then I reset the motheboard to factory uefi settings, then installed again using the same thumb drive, still getting the same bsod IRQL_LESS_THEN with stop code d1 like everyone else here. What else can I do? Here's a picture I took of the bsod:

https://ibb.co/dioMec

I'll install a linux distro on a thumb drive, probably debian. until then, please check out that pic I posted. However, it's worth noting that windows 10 works just fine, but I'll install the distro on a thumb drive and see as well.

Edit: Ubuntu runs fine, windows 10 runs fine.

Edited by kgonepostl - 22 Mar 2018 at 7:01am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgonepostl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:22am
Is there anything I can do to fix this? I'd like this solved. I rely on windows 7 for a lot of things, thanks.
schnerpf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schnerpf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 2:04am
1. Tell windows not to upgrade graphic card drivers automatically (there are lot of tutorials how to do that).

2. Please try to install NVIDIA driver 382.53. 
It might be necessary to use DDD to completely uninstall the current NVIDIA driver.

Again: It is important, that Win is not updating the driver!

Test, if there are any BSODs.

If your system works, it is a NVIDIA issue. I have a ticket open with NVIDIA, who confirmed already that it is a bug.

I am curious, if it works.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic