ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

'C0' error code on X399 Taichi, whatever I do

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
scythefwd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scythefwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'C0' error code on X399 Taichi, whatever I do
    Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 12:07pm
Believe it or not.. I had the exact issue... 

I've built systems since the 90's.. and I have to say this.. the ram slots on my x399 taichi are TIGHT.  I thought the sticks were seated.. then a little more push.. and it clicked, almost felt like it broke something.. then I booted... 

I've got 32 gb gskill trident z ddr4-3200 installed in slot a2 and b2.

Edited by scythefwd - 28 Apr 2018 at 12:11pm
McD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 6:13pm
Have been having this same problem all afternoon here.. Same setup, same inability to boot, same error code.

I WAS able to get into the BIOS on first boot (with 4x8GB sticks installed) no probs. then did an online BIOS update to ver to 2.0. Then failed to boot. C0 error.

***Big thanks to Holygait for posting ASRock's support response here*** So I installed just one stick in the D2 slot (left most socket); no luck, same error code. Then installed a different single stick into the D2 slot, and SUCCESS. Was able to get to BIOS.

I'm now going to roll back to v1.8. Hopefully will be able to chuck the full 32GB back in after..
Taichi X399, TR-1950X, MSI Duke 1080TI
TANWare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANWare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 11:47pm
Good to hear all is ok now.
HolyGait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyGait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2017 at 6:10am
I received my replacement motherboard.
Everything works fine, my previous motherboard was faulty, what a waste of time...

Thanks for those who replied in this post.
HolyGait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyGait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 9:09pm
For those who run into a similar issue, according to ASRock support:

"C0 may means ABL (Agesa boot load) 3 Initialization
It seems that with latest "ThreadRipperPI-SP3r2-1.0.0.4" let memory compatibly worse with part memory module so that fail to boot up. If user meets this situation, please suggest only install one stick memory module to each DRAM slot by turns to try. Or using BIOS Flashback Switch to flash the BIOS again."

I personally already tried it and sent my MB for replacement but it may help someone else.
If you run into a similar issue, you may want to try different BIOS versions (before or after 1.80 which brings "Update AGESA to 1.0.0.4") with a single RAM stick.

For more details about AGESA:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/search?q=AGESA&restrict_sr=on
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6271&PN=5&title=amd-response-to-agesa-bios-query

There are more recent AGESA versions released by AMD, maybe ASRock will release new BIOS versions soon with newer AGESA (1.0.0.5 / 1.0.0.6 / 1.0.0.7) featuring new fixes and brand new bugs!

Edited by HolyGait - 11 Dec 2017 at 9:12pm
sam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 1:38am
I have created account just to post here:

I am experiencing exact same issue, with Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming board, AMD Threadripper 1950X and Seasonic Titanium PSU. Motherboard does not even reach Bios, after a few seconds it gets stuck on C0.

I have contacted support, but I am ready to return the board.
HolyGait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyGait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 5:46pm
I just found that my memory sticks should be compatible with threadripper and this MB. I found a live build video with a surprisingly similar setup: 1950X threadripper + X399 Taichi + Ballistix Sport LT 64Go Kit (Exactly the same CPU, MB and memory as me):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPUIZuOMflE

One more reason to make me think my motherboard is faulty...
HolyGait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyGait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 6:29am
Hi John,

Thanks for the error code meaning, I was assuming these error codes were specific to the MB or at least the chipset. I will try to learn more about this; It seems indeed one of the reasons of this code can be boot device failure (among other reasons like bended pins/faulty memory etc...) but then the error code should disappear if I unplug all boot devices (I should be able to access BIOS without any boot device if so).

I already tried with a single stick in various sockets and I always clear CMOS between each trials.

I will let you know if I get more information.

Edited by HolyGait - 07 Dec 2017 at 6:31am
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 6:05am
HolyGait, here is a link to Debug Codes: http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=16017

C0 - OEM BDS initialization codes

I think this has to do with the boot device (Boot Device Selection).  Have you tried a single stick of memory in various sockets?  Have you done a Clear CMOS?  Please let us know what ASRock has to say.  Good luck and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
HolyGait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyGait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 5:23am
I already spent a lot of time investigating PSU-related issues and I'm pretty confident about power connections (4Pins ; 8Pins EPS ; 24 Pins ATX). However, maybe I should benchmark more in depth the PSU to make sure voltage doesn't drop under load (I did measured voltages but without drawing current).

For RAM, I just re-tried a few times with one stick at different slots with different sticks but there is no improvement.

I contacted ASRock Technical Support a few minutes ago, hoping they will be able to help me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic