ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

'C0' error code on X399 Taichi, whatever I do

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyGait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'C0' error code on X399 Taichi, whatever I do
    Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 2:55am
Hi everyone!

I'm writing here because I'm having trouble with my new threadripper-based build.
For short, whatever I do, I get 'C0' error code displayed on Mr debug, preventing me from accessing to the BIOS.
I never managed to reach BIOS or seeing another code than 'C0'.

Here are the parts of my build:
All components are brand-new and I've partialy tested my PSU with a voltmeter.
I can hardly see how it could be a GPU or HSF related issue, so if there is faulty hardware, it's probably CPU or more likely the motherboard.
It could also be a memory issue, but I tried a lot of RAM stick permutations so it's hard to believe all my RAM sticks are faulty.
Moreover, if it was a faulty memory issue, I don't think I would still get 'C0' code when I remove all RAM sticks (I probably should get a more specific error code but I still get 'C0' as it's probably an early POST error occuring before other memory checks), am I right?

'C0' error code isn't documented on motherboard manual, but according to other forum posts, it seems to be a common error code which happens early in POST process of X399-based systems.
Some pointed out that this error code may be related to bad CPU to memory communication (which could be due to bended socket pins, faulty/incompatible memory sticks or missing 8-pins ATX power)

I found a few people having pretty similar issues; Here are some post more or less related to my issue:
This undocumented error code also appears on other X399 motherboard like MSI or Asus ones.
As far as I know Asus use the same BIOS as Asrock, but it's not the case of MSI, so does these error codes are mostly defined by X399 socket or are they motherboard manufacturer-specific?

Here is what I already tried:
One thing to note is that at the very first time I started my computer, I forgot to plug the 4-Pin CPU power connector (only the 8-Pin EPS and 24-Pins ATX was connected to PSU) (but can it cause permanent damages? I doubt so).
I do reset CMOS between each trial and even ended up removing CMOS battery.
On the first tries, the motherboard was installed in my case. I don't think there was short-circuits but I removed the motherboard from case to make sure (and for easier access too).
I never made any mistakes about which power cable I should use on 8 Pins connector (No. 9 on MB manual): I always used 4+4 CPU EPS Cable from my modular PSU (some makes the confusion with 6+2Pins power source used for PCIE cards) and my PSU comply with latest EPS and ATX standards.
I tried to reach BIOS (or at least any other error code than 'C0') with or without GPU, with many RAM permutations (A2 ; B2 ; A2+B2 ; A2+B2+C2+D2) or without any RAM, with or without boot device, with or without front panel connected.
I sucessfully updated BIOS twice to the latest version (2.0) using Instant Flash.
I never tried to access bios with a DVI cable (I only have a HMDI cable for now, which may be a problem when I will need to access BIOS for the first time but it's unrelated to my issue as 'C0' code shouldn't show, right =P?)
I didn't encountered any difficulties following installation instructions of CPU on TR4 socket and I tried to reseat CPU once to see if there were bended socket pins but evrything seems to be visualy OK; here are some pictures I took when reseating CPU:
https://imgur.com/a/f3uZf tell me if my socket pins doesn't look good ^^

Unfortunatly, I don't have access to other working PSU or RAM sticks to better spot where the issue come from

Do you have any suggestions?
I'm probably going to ask for a motherboard replacement if I can't figure it out soon...

Sincerely,
A despaired human being...

Edited by HolyGait - 07 Dec 2017 at 8:07pm
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 3:08am
i would suggest beg borrow or steal another stick of ram of different brand to test

how did you update bios ?
by booting into bios and instant flash or was it actually usb flash stick flashback type recovery ?
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
HolyGait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyGait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 3:14am
Thanks for your quick response,
I never managed to reach BIOS so I updated BIOS using USB stick and "BIOS flashback" button.
Sadly, I don't know anyone with DDR4 RAM sticks available, everyone I know has a laptop.

Edited by HolyGait - 07 Dec 2017 at 3:49am
NeptunePI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeptunePI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 4:47am
It sounds like you did a ton of debugging already.  I'm sure you've done this, but maybe you can double check the power connections, I remember there being 3 power connections on the MB. 

Also try just booting with one stick, try with each stick.  For some reason my system didn't boot with the memory installed at first, but I think I had code d0 (not 100% sure).

If that doesn't work, I would contact ASRock support, they should at least know what the C0 code means for sure, and can hopefully offer some better debugging steps.

HolyGait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyGait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 5:23am
I already spent a lot of time investigating PSU-related issues and I'm pretty confident about power connections (4Pins ; 8Pins EPS ; 24 Pins ATX). However, maybe I should benchmark more in depth the PSU to make sure voltage doesn't drop under load (I did measured voltages but without drawing current).

For RAM, I just re-tried a few times with one stick at different slots with different sticks but there is no improvement.

I contacted ASRock Technical Support a few minutes ago, hoping they will be able to help me.
MisterJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 6:05am
HolyGait, here is a link to Debug Codes: http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=16017

C0 - OEM BDS initialization codes

I think this has to do with the boot device (Boot Device Selection).  Have you tried a single stick of memory in various sockets?  Have you done a Clear CMOS?  Please let us know what ASRock has to say.  Good luck and enjoy, John.
Fat1 X399 Pro Gaming, TR 1950X, RAID0 3xSamsung SSD 960 EVO, G.SKILL FlareX F4-3200C14Q-32GFX, Win 10 x64 Pro, Enermx Platimax 850, Enermx Liqtech TR4 CPU Cooler, Radeon RX580, BIOS 2.00, 2xHDDs WD
HolyGait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyGait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 6:29am
Hi John,

Thanks for the error code meaning, I was assuming these error codes were specific to the MB or at least the chipset. I will try to learn more about this; It seems indeed one of the reasons of this code can be boot device failure (among other reasons like bended pins/faulty memory etc...) but then the error code should disappear if I unplug all boot devices (I should be able to access BIOS without any boot device if so).

I already tried with a single stick in various sockets and I always clear CMOS between each trials.

I will let you know if I get more information.

Edited by HolyGait - 07 Dec 2017 at 6:31am
HolyGait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyGait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 5:46pm
I just found that my memory sticks should be compatible with threadripper and this MB. I found a live build video with a surprisingly similar setup: 1950X threadripper + X399 Taichi + Ballistix Sport LT 64Go Kit (Exactly the same CPU, MB and memory as me):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPUIZuOMflE

One more reason to make me think my motherboard is faulty...
sam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 1:38am
I have created account just to post here:

I am experiencing exact same issue, with Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming board, AMD Threadripper 1950X and Seasonic Titanium PSU. Motherboard does not even reach Bios, after a few seconds it gets stuck on C0.

I have contacted support, but I am ready to return the board.
HolyGait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyGait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 9:09pm
For those who run into a similar issue, according to ASRock support:

"C0 may means ABL (Agesa boot load) 3 Initialization
It seems that with latest "ThreadRipperPI-SP3r2-1.0.0.4" let memory compatibly worse with part memory module so that fail to boot up. If user meets this situation, please suggest only install one stick memory module to each DRAM slot by turns to try. Or using BIOS Flashback Switch to flash the BIOS again."

I personally already tried it and sent my MB for replacement but it may help someone else.
If you run into a similar issue, you may want to try different BIOS versions (before or after 1.80 which brings "Update AGESA to 1.0.0.4") with a single RAM stick.

For more details about AGESA:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/search?q=AGESA&restrict_sr=on
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6271&PN=5&title=amd-response-to-agesa-bios-query

There are more recent AGESA versions released by AMD, maybe ASRock will release new BIOS versions soon with newer AGESA (1.0.0.5 / 1.0.0.6 / 1.0.0.7) featuring new fixes and brand new bugs!

Edited by HolyGait - 11 Dec 2017 at 9:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic