ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z370 Extreme4 XMP bug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WR07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2017 at 8:14am
Just wanted to chime back in 2 days after discovering this fix to say the problem has not reoccurred since applying the changes Flode sugguested. I have run MemTest86+ and Prime95 for hours to help confirm.

I've been playing around with the settings since then and have actually been able to overclock my 8700k to 5.0GHz comfortably at 1.35V with idle temperatures hovering between 27-35C. I can go over the settings if there's any interest? 

It's crazy to think that just 2 days ago I was struggling just to keep this PC from freezing every 15 minutes. Anyway, thanks again to Flode -- because of you I am now able to fully enjoy my first PC build. Smile

Edited by WR07 - 29 Dec 2017 at 8:15am
JXN8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JXN8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 12:21pm
Thanks for the fix Flode - I was seeing the same thing on my new board with an 8600k (no overclocking yet) while using 2x8GB 3200MHz G-Skill F4-3200C16D-16GTZB.  I was crashing after about two minutes on any 3D app running the 1.10 BIOS out of the box.  1.10V and 1.15V did not work for me but 1.02V and 1.07V did after I flashed it to 1.30.  I just replaced my ASRock Extreme4 Z77 and it ran like a tank for the last 5 years.  Fix it soon ASRock, I've been bragging on you for a while now!

Edited by JXN8 - 30 Dec 2017 at 12:22pm
hansi12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hansi12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 4:48pm
Hmm i have been able to increase VCCSA to something like 1,32V to Support 3700Mhz RAM. But my VCCIO is at 1,15V.
I initially had Problems but it appears that VCCSA wasnt the cause.
sciboot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sciboot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by JXN8 JXN8 wrote:

Thanks for the fix Flode - I was seeing the same thing on my new board with an 8600k (no overclocking yet) while using 2x8GB 3200MHz G-Skill F4-3200C16D-16GTZB.  I was crashing after about two minutes on any 3D app running the 1.10 BIOS out of the box.  1.10V and 1.15V did not work for me but 1.02V and 1.07V did after I flashed it to 1.30.  I just replaced my ASRock Extreme4 Z77 and it ran like a tank for the last 5 years.  Fix it soon ASRock, I've been bragging on you for a while now!
I had to up my voltages to the recommended 1.1(1.096V in bios) 1.15(1.14V in bios) because I had my computer bsod after like 4 days uptime and at idle "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 0x00000050" The ASRock bios actually sets the voltages just a bit higher so I set them a bit lower and then its almost spot on. So those lower voltages may be slightly too low at least on my board which is a gen older Z270 Extreme4. After I set them up higher I then ran 4 passes with memtest86 and no errors within 5 hours of testing. Of course it was stable before but eventually showed signs on instability days later but hopefully its finally stable. I will update here if it crashes again.
JXN8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JXN8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 10:26pm
[URL=][/URL]I would definitely disable the "Multicore Enhancement" feature. Mine is idling around 28c and spiking up over 90c with a Corsair H100 on Prime 95.The Coffee Lake is an inherently hot chip. What temps are you guys seeing?

Edited by JXN8 - 30 Dec 2017 at 10:36pm
wims80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wims80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 9:46pm
I went quite a bit lower than that with my Corsair Vengeance 3200cl16 (Hynix a-die). I went for 0.95v VCCIO and 1.05v VCCSA and it seems to be running just fine at XMP speed
DeeJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 7:18pm

Hello everyone,

Just registered to post my thanks to Flode for the solution.

Mine is a newly build machine with 8700K, Z370 Extreme 4, and G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GTZR (I didn't want the RGB, but those were much cheaper than the GTZ version...) 

After getting all the components and putting them together, the first thing I did was boot to BIOS and update to the latest available version. All seemed fine, and Windows installed on the new nVME drive without any issues.

Then the problems started! I got exactly the same problem as in the first few posts in this topic - the machine would boot to Windows, and will run some tests/benches, but will freeze when left to idle or immediately after stopping say Prime95 (9 out of 10 times). 
That got me pulling out quite some hair, and I even got a replacement memory kit from the supplier, but it experienced exactly the same issue, so apparently all this was not due to a defective ram kit. Then after a few days of searching I came to this topic and that solved my problem!!!

My VCCIO and VCCSA voltages were set to 1.2 and 1.25 respectively after activating the memory XMP profile. As my XMP profile is at a bit higher speeds than the one in the original post -  I lowered them both with just 0.1 to 1.1 and 1.15, and the machine is now rock stable! No matter what benches I throw at it or how long I leave it to idle!

So the problem appears to happen with various ram modules certified for various XMP speeds, so maybe the new memory controllers just don't need that much voltage as older ones!!!

n.b. I have not clocked the CPU itself (other than the memory controller) - as I was trying to see if everything will just work together at the 'default' speeds it was sold to support.

Cheers!

Edited by DeeJay - 04 Jan 2018 at 11:39pm
tshearman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tshearman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 11:01pm
I was running into the same problem on a new build.  This fixed it

specs
i7-8700k
asrock z370 extreme 4
G.Skill trident Z RGB 32 G model f4-3200c16q-32gtzr
corsair h100i v2
zotac 1080ti

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully this get patched in new bios updates.  I was on the verge of sending back the ram and buying non OC'ed stick.
slimSpencer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slimSpencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 3:38am
hello,

i just registered here to tell you that i had the same problem with my Extreme4/8700k and also fixed it by lowering voltages. Got Crucial B. Elite 2x8GB@3000 and set even lower voltages. I also sent a message to Asrock directly by using the previously mentionend contact form:

"
Freeze under load due to wrong voltages set by EFI

System freezes at heavy load when using Memory XMP-profile and leaving voltages at 'auto'. The voltages seem to be too high at 'auto'-settings!
I fixed the problem by manually entering the following, lower voltages:
- VCCST    1.00
- VCCPLL 1.00
- VCCIO 0.95
- VCCSA 1.05

system is stable with these settings @XMP-3000.

Other user have the same problem and also fixed it by lowering voltages, see: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6860&title=z370-extreme4-xmp-bug

please pass this info to your HQ.

"

best regards
Flode View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 7:08pm
Hey,

new BIOS 1.4 out today!

http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z370%20Extreme4/index.asp#BIOS

I'm not a home for the weekend, i'd love to test this and if a fix for the XMP Voltage bug has been included but unfortunately i cant.

Can anyone who has expierenced this error as well test the new bios please with stock settings?

I try to test on Monday.

Best Regards

flode
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic