ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

No SSDs for K7VT6?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tecc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No SSDs for K7VT6?
    Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 1:28am
I planned to upgrade my dad's old PC (still powerful enough to store photos and surf the Internet) with a Crucial CT120BX100SSD1 cause the mainboard has two SATA ports. Unfortunately, the SSD is not recognized, even with RAID enabled in the latest BIOS (1.60a). Any suggestions besides buying a new mainboard?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 2:47am
You could try picking up a cheap PCI SATA2 controller. I imagine you have tried different SATA cables and all possible BIOS options? If you have I suspect the add in card may be your only choice.
tecc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tecc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 3:27am
Yes, I've already tried different cables and settings. The controller might be an option since it's quite unlikely for Asrok to release a BIOS on this old mainboard. Still wonder why a 120 GB SSD should make problems as opposed to a regular SATA HDD.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 3:56am
It may be that the SSD requires AHCI mode and the board does not support it. Some SSDs are able to run in "legacy" or "IDE" modes but some will not function without AHCI. I looked up your drive and it seems quite a few people found it problematic or impossible to get it to recognize in BIOS on older SATA 1 boards. I would recommend an addin card that supports AHCI or you could return the drive and get a different one that supports legacy SATA 1 systems. SSDs did not even exist in the consumer segment when your board was released so I am not surprised that there are problems. Ultimately one can't really fault the manufacturer for not being able to predict the future Wink 

I doubt ASRock will release a new bios for the board and in all honesty I doubt it would be possible to implement support at the bios level anyway given the age of the components. 

Personally I would look for another brand of SSD and return the Crucial model as there is no guarantee an add in controller will work either. If that is not an option I guess your only choice would be an add in SATA controller with AHCI support. 

Good luck, I hope you get this sorted out. Its nice to see such an old model board still operational Smile

[edit] I dug out a K7VT6 board that I had laying in a closet but it is a K7VT6-C which has no SATA ports, the solder points are there but no ports are connected so I am afraid I can't test any of my SSDs on it. I had hoped that it was the same board and I could let you know if any of the SSDs I have worked on it. I am afraid I can't help beyond my advice above Unhappy

Edited by Xaltar - 23 Aug 2015 at 4:03am
tecc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tecc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 2:58pm
Thanks, I appreciate it an no I wasn't gonna blame Asrock for this. Since the old PCI bus only supports 130 MB/s (IIRC), I think it would be a waste to install the SSD, so I just might have to give my current PC to my dad and get me a new one.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by tecc tecc wrote:

Yes, I've already tried different cables and settings. The controller might be an option since it's quite unlikely for Asrok to release a BIOS on this old mainboard. Still wonder why a 120 GB SSD should make problems as opposed to a regular SATA HDD.

My guess is the VIA chipset used on that board, and the last BIOS update was literally 10 years ago. Plus the RAID driver is vintage 2005 - 2006, which is pre-AHCI.

Also, the SATA version/protocol the chipset supports is pre-SATA II, which means more than just the speed of the interface. There were SATA version changes implemented in the Intel 8 series chipsets (now two generations old) that caused some early SSDs to no longer function with those boards. Some new SATA features are not backwards compatible, and at some point had to be left behind. Given that in general, I'm not surprised your board will not work with a current SSD.

More bad news about an add on SATA card and that board. It has no PCI Express slots, just PCI slots and an AGP graphics slot. Most current SATA cards require a PCI Express interface. You would need one for a PCI 2.2 slot, like these I found:

http:////www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=sata+controller&N=100007607%20600022626%20600022728&isNodeId=1

Can I guarantee these cards would work with a SSD and that board? No, sorry to say.

tecc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tecc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 1:50pm
Looks like my dad's gonna get my current machine and I'm gonna build a new one. Any suggestions on what board to get?

I'd like to get an Intel board this time and I'll be using the PC to mostly surf the Internet, remux some Blurays (no new encodes) and I wanted to get into virtualisation, so I'd need a CPU with extensions for that. Are there any boards with onboard graphics that can play Starcrat 2 in FullHD? It's important to me that is has lots of USB3 ports and uses quite less power while surfing or being idle.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by tecc tecc wrote:

Looks like my dad's gonna get my current machine and I'm gonna build a new one. Any suggestions on what board to get?

I'd like to get an Intel board this time and I'll be using the PC to mostly surf the Internet, remux some Blurays (no new encodes) and I wanted to get into virtualisation, so I'd need a CPU with extensions for that. Are there any boards with onboard graphics that can play Starcrat 2 in FullHD? It's important to me that is has lots of USB3 ports and uses quite less power while surfing or being idle.

Given your requirements, you need to think about the CPU first.

Only certain Intel processors and boards support virtualisation, and then there are multiple kinds of virtualisation. Intel's line of processors alone can be mind boggling, regarding which model has what features, and the boards (chipset/CPU socket) they can be used with.

I'm realizing how difficult it is to answer your simple questions, because the hardware available is not simple, and there is so much of it. You'll have quite a learning curve if you are not current with all the Intel technology, and I have no idea where you are in that area.

I get a hint about that when you wrote, "Are there any boards with onboard graphics...". ALL of Intels "onboard graphics" are part of the CPU itself, and not a separate chip on the mother board. AMD has abandon that architecture as well. Sure you can get a separate video card, but that's not the same thing as graphics built into a mother board. Intel put their "integrated graphics" on the CPU itself about four years ago. Some Intel processors do not contain any integrated graphics, another thing to watch for.

The term "onboard graphics" currently means the graphics capability of the CPU, which a mother board supports by supplying the graphics output connectors. So if you read "onboard graphics", it means the integrated graphics on the CPU.

Current Intel mother boards either support the graphics included in the CPU, and/or a video card can or must be used. The Intel graphics is not well known for being great for high resolution game play, but how can they be when the chips used on graphics cards have more transistors on them than an Intel CPU plus the integrated graphics.

What are you using to play Starcraft 2 in full HD now? That is also a simplification of the many game settings that exist that need more graphics power to provide.

Let's get you started with a look at Intel's processor families. Note that only the 4th, 5th, and 6th Generation, and HEDT series processors are mainly available new, with many Pentium and Celeron processors available. But this almost historically complete list goes back seven or eight years, and those models are not available new:

http://ark.intel.com/#@Processors

Sorry if it's not simple, or at least not simple if you want to understand what it is all about.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 2:57pm
We will need some idea of budget to help you out here.

Off the bat though if you are looking for strong iGP capabilities you should look at the Broadwell i5 5675c and maybe an ASRock Z97 Pro4 so you can overclock or an ASRock H97 Pro4 (a little cheaper) if overclocking is not your preference. If you do go for a Broadwell CPU you have to be sure to get a Z97 or H97 board as Broadwell will not work with previous gen H81/87, B85 and Z87 boards.

The Broadwell CPUs, i7 5775c and i5 5675c, have integrated graphics that is actually a little better than AMD's APUs, A10 7XXX.  The problem is that they are still pretty hard to find and are not cheap. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic