ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

High Voltage on Auto Clock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yodivanbaped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Voltage on Auto Clock
    Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:32am
Hello,

I recently upgraded my CPU to R5 1600X, runs it on Auto clock speed on voltage and HWMonitor reads the Max Voltage (CPU VCORE) hits 1.5v. Is it fine or I probably have issues on my board?

I'm using ASRock B350 Pro4 Motherboard with P4.20 BIOS

Other system information:

RAM Corsair LPX 2666 16GB (2x8)
GPU Zotac GTX 1060 6GB AMP
PSU Bitfenix Whisper 550W
Storage 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 2:25am
at stock and auto volts they do indeed go over 1.5 volts

try manually setting all cores to 3.8 ghz and cpu volts to 1.4

this should be nigh on certainly stable for any 1600x

you can then try slowly and gradually to reduce the volts down to 1.35 or maybe a little lower
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 2:46am
Hi!

I'm afraid it's not a normal voltage for auto. I've been experiencing the same on my X370 Taichi. See here: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp%3FTID=5973 or http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp%3FTID=6919

Unfortunately, the only 'remedy' thus far is manual Vcore or P-states... Keep the pressure! Maybe one day they will fix what's due.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 2:58am
I have been finding similar things.
I am kinda of learning as I go here, so don't take what I say as coming from a well experienced and very knowledgeable fellow - am I not! :)

In HWMonitor matches with HWInfo for CPU Tdie Temperature, and the vCore shown is the same as in OpenHardwareMonitor, read from the motherboard sensor.

On auto on an X370 TaiChi and with a 1700X I had spikes of vCore over 1.45v when two threads were being used.  When 3 or more threads were being pushed the vCore would drop down some.  When all were used it'd drop to 1.2v ish.

I have manually set the Core Voltage to 1.30v in the BIOS/UEFI and set load line calibration to level 2.  Everything is stable and the monitored vCore flutuates between 1.280-1.312v depending on what use is occurring.

I will have to get the kWh meter out to measure if there is a reduction in idle consumption, because whilst the Tdie is actually lower at idle than before (and lower under both 2T / 16T loads), it just feels strange not seeing the vCore drop down when not needed - the AMD Cool 'n' Quiet thing or C-states.

However, as daytonyb has pointed out before in a longer message, the current does change.

I hope you get to the bottom of the understand like I am trying to.  Good luck.
X370 TaiChi | 1700X P3.10 stock clocks | (2x 16GB) 32GB FlareX 2400MHz.
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 3:17am
Originally posted by VUMeter VUMeter wrote:

I will have to get the kWh meter out to measure if there is a reduction in idle consumption, because whilst the Tdie is actually lower at idle than before (and lower under both 2T / 16T loads), it just feels strange not seeing the vCore drop down when not needed - the AMD Cool 'n' Quiet thing or C-states.

Sorry for the hijack! I'll try and be brief.

That's the most annoying thing for me. With manual settings you are either left with unnecessary large idle Vcore, or you have to fine-tune P-states A LOT to mimic normal auto Vcore scaling with load.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 3:22am
Originally posted by zlobster zlobster wrote:

Sorry for the hijack! I'll try and be brief.

That's the most annoying thing for me. With manual settings you are either left with unnecessary large idle Vcore, or you have to fine-tune P-states A LOT to mimic normal auto Vcore scaling with load.
(apologies for continuing a possible thread hijack) Well, the very fact that temps have dropped a little more makes me think it's not really a bad thing running at 1.30v constantly.

Interesting reading here:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1628508/official-ryzen-5-1600x-1600-1500x-1400-owners-club/520
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 3:23am
well its strange as with p state overclocking
i got 1.325 max certainly never over 1,33

and at idle it auto drops to less than .500  thats with a two button click/entry in pstate

last time i played i didnt even bother with pstates and just set 39 multi and 1.325 on oc tweaker

and it still down volts to sub .500

im on exact same bios v3.1 as you

my EARLIER pstates used to hold at exact pstaes setting 1.306 all the time but as vumeter pointed out i wasnt worried then as there was no current

either bios 3.0 or 3.1 changed something that allowed my system to now downvolt

but as its not made any difference to my stability its a bonus
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 3:44am
I don't really care about the current voltage. My issue is that with high Vcore I get high idle temp as well.

My 3.10 Sapphire Boost is also broken, so maybe it's just a mess on my side?

All this is a huge driver for my rant in my other post about to love for the Taichi. I was hoping for a fast, working and stable UEFI to go with a fresh install of Win 10 FCU and 'Adrenalin'... Wishful thinking.

PERSONAL THOUGHTS: I've always used ASUS mobos and I've never had any issues with them. Reading all the recent praise about ASRock and their mobos I decided to give them a try. Honestly, the X370 Taichi looks very sturdy, but the entire FW/SW support from ASRock looks like it comes from some garage shop in Taiwan. I mean, look at the friggin' English in their software and manuals. I'm not a native English speaker but at least I proof read.
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 4:16am

I don't really care about the current voltage. My issue is that with high Vcore I get high idle temp as well.

I mean, look at the friggin' English in their software and manuals. I'm not a native English speaker but at least I proof read.

Ah, well this is interesting.  Certainly not what I had.  Auto setting BIOS/UEFI shows that when idle the VID and vCore(s) are all sub half a volt.  It's only really when two cores/threads or less are used that the vCore goes to the 1.4+v range.
Temperatures were never high at idle-  The fact you say you have a high idle temp makes me wonder what on earth is going on.  Note settings and reset?

Well, yeah things in the manual aren't quite right, and I didn't care for the mirror inverted diagram of the SATA port labelling (despite my father seeing it as just fine), but these are nit picky little things.  Sure shouldn't happen, but there are typos, vagueness and misinformation in the ASUS motherboard manual I have from the C2D system.
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 4:27am
Originally posted by VUMeter VUMeter wrote:

Ah, well this is interesting.  Certainly not what I had.  Auto setting BIOS/UEFI shows that when idle the VID and vCore(s) are all sub half a volt.  It's only really when two cores/threads or less are used that the vCore goes to the 1.4+v range.
Temperatures were never high at idle-  The fact you say you have a high idle temp makes me wonder what on earth is going on.  Note settings and reset?

If this will stir your pot, then here comes the crazies part - with everything left @ auto I get the high Vcore when IDLING! When loaded moderately to heavily, CPU Vcore was dropping to normal operating ranges, i.e. 1.18-1.22V For whatever the reason(s) voltage regulating circuity was overshooting severely. Go figure!

As for the resets - I've done many. I've tried various combinations of even seemingly unrelated settings, only to see the same thing over and over again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic