ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

High Voltage on Auto Clock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 3:44am
right as an update here regarding volts and the taichi
im set at fixed 1.325 cpu llc2
and at 1.395 volts ram
and soc at 1.05 llc2

after 7+ hours gaming etc heres my hwmonitor values
cpu vcore  0.432-1.328 volts min/max
vddc-soc 1.056 min and max it didnt move at all
dram 1.392-1.400 min/max
cpu vid 0.400-1.325 min - max
cpu temp 25c-38c min/max

as i said i find the taichi to be quite stable and solid bios version 3.1 noctua air cooler and fr4actual designs 550m psu

[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 4:01am
Originally posted by datonyb datonyb wrote:

right as an update here regarding volts and the taichi
im set at fixed 1.325 cpu llc2
and at 1.395 volts ram
and soc at 1.05 llc2

after 7+ hours gaming etc heres my hwmonitor values
cpu vcore  0.432-1.328 volts min/max
vddc-soc 1.056 min and max it didnt move at all
dram 1.392-1.400 min/max
cpu vid 0.400-1.325 min - max
cpu temp 25c-38c min/max

Thanks! That's a good reference info!

as i said i find the taichi to be quite stable and solid bios version 3.1 noctua air cooler and fr4actual designs 550m psu

Mileage may vary* Big smile

Overall I'm quite happy how the Taichi is designed and built. My rant is mostly towards that PoS they call UEFI code.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
yodivanbaped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yodivanbaped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 10:35am

you really should be able to get the volts lower at 3.8 mate

as an example
my 1700 is at 3.9 and 1.325 volts
and both the 1600 systems i tuned were at less than 1.35 on 3.8 ghz

there will be a decent reduction in temps if you can lower it down to 1.35 from 1.4

Yeah thats just my best bet, last night I put 1.375 and it runs stable so I'll try to put it lower even more later.
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by yodivanbaped yodivanbaped wrote:

Last night I put my CPU to 3.8Ghz on 1.4v, temps goes up, hits 65C after 5 loops of cinebench (with Deepcool Gammaxx 400 + thermal grizzly), only hits 61C while gaming tho.

HWMonitor reads max VCORE is 1.440v which I think is fine. I guess I will stick with this for now. Also I dont think I have the options you mentioned above, but let me check again later.

Please note that I am NOT overclocking.  My frequencies are as stock (entered in UEFI as 3400MHz).  The Boosting speeds is part of the CPU design.  I did not enter a clock speed higher than default.  I have no wish to overclock at the moment

you really should be able to get the volts lower at 3.8 mate

as an example 
my 1700 is at 3.9 and 1.325 volts
and both the 1600 systems i tuned were at less than 1.35 on 3.8 ghz

there will be a decent reduction in temps if you can lower it down to 1.35 from 1.4

From my recollection you had UFI P3.00 and was using P-states.  You moved to P3.10 still using P-states.  Now you have disabled P-states (auto) and set a fixed voltage?  
But P3.10 is ramping volts up and down for you, rather than the experience I have with P3.00 which treats static voltage as exactly that, a static non-moving voltage (with the exception of vdroop).

I may just up my UEFI to 3.10 just to see what I may be missing.  The temperature display control seems like something I'd prefer to have, reading T-die rather than T-ctrl or even T-socket.
X370 TaiChi | 1700X P3.10 stock clocks | (2x 16GB) 32GB FlareX 2400MHz.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 6:16pm
yes not bad memory mate

allthough i cant recall when the voltage started self adjusting

e.g. did it start at version 3 or 3.1 (i know it never at bios 2 )

incidently i ran hw monitor yesterday as i 'thought' the new chipset driver (and ryzen powerplan) had stopped my auto volt drop at idle.. it turns out it didnt and i was mistaken seeing it stay at 1.3 ish, something must have been going on in background at the time using cores

the new chipset drivers are still allowing it to drop to sub 0.5v on idle

please bear in mind im running 1.325v only because i need a tad more volts for the combined 3.9ghz AND the tweaking i have done with the ram
at 3.9 and loose 3200 ram timings it was quite happy for months at 1.306 volts fixed

to be fair i still think this offset voltage seems only to be of use if you have to use a workaround for the cpu multibug,as my system never seems to mess around with anything i set in bios

im thinking out loud here but maybe not all cpu's are created equal with regards to back effects they have on demands to the motherboard, e.g. this xfr and feedback its sending by its requests to the boards power supply circuits

technically my 1700 non X still is supposed to have a xfr of 25/50 mhz i recall reading somewhere

allthough that auto stops when i set an all core overclock on the taichi it disables the core boost according to chew/brian

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 7:33pm
I am wondering, and without actually putting P3.10 on myself to check, if having custom P-states in one UEFI version and then changing to another has somehow left something redundant in there that is causing the voltage scaling when you have specifically told it to use a FIXED voltage.

Sticking rigidly to the dictionary definition here, if the voltage reduces when your CPU idles then that is NOT fixed voltage, and in which case the UEFI code is a lie!
However, in use it's actually what you/we would all want to see, so is not a bad thing, just another item to add to the list of misleading things.

I am going to go and grab the kWh meter and stat some testings today.  I will be documenting my findings.

The question of all CPUs not being created equal is not an issue for debate, it's a fact.  Even the same SKU (model number/type) will show variances between samples.  Manufacturing anything, and especially equipment with fine tolerances, and even more so such tiny and intricate multi-million component count 'devices' like CPUs is bound to show some 'slop' between samples.  Some will go faster, generate less heat and require less voltage than others.  Others won't go so fast, but could be more efficient in normal modes.  Couple in the very fact that an 1700 is a 1800X with some things disabled and it gets more blurry.  Is a particular 1700 model a 1700 because it failed the 1800X and 1700X tests, or is it there because demand was higher, and they needed a few more 1700 chips to sell?

I haven't tried lowering the frequency of my CPU (I mean,  why would I ???), but I know that if any change is made to increase frequency the on-chip SMU automatically disables CPB and in-turn XFR.  CPB being the single/dual threaded load turbo boost and XFR being the slight boost across the board if temps/volts/current and stability(?) allows.

The annoyance for me, and it seems others, is that the 1700X and 1800X are both instructed to pull a 1.55v when under XFR boost - it can be seen in HWInfo64 as each core's VID.  Whilst I think this number is true (1.55v max), the exact plotting of it and it being on each core may be reported BS.  Under all-core loads the actual voltage draw is closer to ~1.2v despite the default 1.35v being what I think is set.  Maybe that's some vdroop, maybe not.
When single/dual thread loads are placed on the CPU, the CPB+XFR makes the CPU pull in those VID voltages, or at least close to.  This is why the vCore is reported at ~1.5v

Now, I do read that AMD have said this is by design, it's normal and it's safe.  
I just feel uneasy about it , when they have said 1.45v is really an upper max - why can't people use 1.5v for overclocks then if ~1.5v is safe?

I think we are missing the fact that the tools we have cannot report what is truly happening fast enough to get a proper representation.  I also think that the information that so far has been tapped into is a bit misleading, the system isn't providing quite the things we have grown accustom to expect to see.  For instance, put the Windows Power Plan to "Ryzen Balanaced" and core frequency never drops, but I think it might well be doing so 'behind the scenes' and unreported to the system.

It would not surprise me in the slightest to discover that M$ haven't got things properly locked in with Ryzen yet, being that Intel is such an aggressive company and that AMD's CPUs have been less desirable and less popular.  It's not unsupported per-se but it's not fully supported in terms of monitoring.

I shall get to some testing before I continue waffling here!
X370 TaiChi | 1700X P3.10 stock clocks | (2x 16GB) 32GB FlareX 2400MHz.
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 7:50pm
VUMeter, the hero we need but the hero we don't deserve!Beer

The fact that no official staff has put an end to this whole debate means only one thing to me - they either keep the truth for themselves or they simply don't give a duck. Both disturb me beyond my ability to put it in words. I sneezed almost 300 EUR for this board alone, for crying out loud.
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
yodivanbaped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yodivanbaped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 8:37pm
Right now I'm running my 1600X on 3.8Ghz at 1.35v, seems stable after several loops of Cinebench.

One question, HWMonitor reads MAX VCORE is 1.394v then VID also 1.394v and VDD 1.388v, is it seems like my board have something like voltage offset? This also happened when I tried to overclock my 1300X. If so, where can I find to set this?
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 8:53pm
oc tweaker page

enter your voltage then scroll down set fixed
and set llc level 2

i very much doubt your see over 1.36 in hw monitor after that

i can forsee im going to have to take some bios screenshots here...........................

which is a drama as my photobucket account is messing around lately, and takes ages to get it to accept uploads

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 9:28pm
bios screenshots

notice in last two pics
power saving settings all turned off in second to last pic BUT i left global c states on in last pic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic