ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

High Voltage on Auto Clock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 10:24pm
How can one take screenshots from UEFI w/o HDMI capture device?
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 10:40pm
harry potter magic Tongue

answer2 = politely ask the bios fairies to allow me

answer 3 = really steady hand and my camera

or the truth ?

hit f12 with a usb flashdrive inserted LOL
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
yodivanbaped View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yodivanbaped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 12:57am
@datonyb

Don't think I have those options, I have B350 Pro4 motherboard and I don't see that options you showed.
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 1:47am
@ datonyb:  Ah ha!  I didn't think of it before, but yes, makes sense....

Your screen shots tell me a lot!  #1 well, setting the "CPU Voltage(V)" volts here don't do diddly under P3.00.
#2 Of course!  Fixed mode has an "auto" option by default.  P3.00 does not.  Undr P3.0 as soon as you enter Fixed, it shows 1.35000.  I will re-investigate setting 1.30000 in the top section and Fixed "Auto" in the lower.  
It didn't occur to me when I first saw it, although I did feel scared when I saw auto not a number....I panicked when I typed 1.30000 and crossed my fingers and hoped it'd boot without the smell of toasted silicon.

I will go try shortly!

Thanks for posting these images, it really tells a lot.

@ zlobster: Well, they kind of have put an end to the debate, but without a technical and acceptable reasoning.  Voltage spikes up to 1.55v ish is all part and parcel of the normal behaviour of single/dual core operation.  What I can extrapolate from their comments is that CPB and then XFR requires this kind of voltage for the worst possible chips off the production line to hit their advertised speeds.  It's safe and normal.

You have an issue of high idle temps which is not this, from what I gather.  High idle temps is a mess in your particular system somewhere.  Setting a static 1.30v or letting it auto up/down volt (even excessively in my opinion) still keeps idle temps down real low.  I'll confess it's about about 10°C +/-5 in my room, but still my Tdie is 20°C.

Are you sure you are reading T-die not T-ctrl or T-socket? 
X370 TaiChi | 1700X P3.10 stock clocks | (2x 16GB) 32GB FlareX 2400MHz.
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 2:08am
Originally posted by VUMeter VUMeter wrote:

@ zlobster: Well, they kind of have put an end to the debate, but without a technical and acceptable reasoning.  Voltage spikes up to 1.55v ish is all part and parcel of the normal behaviour of single/dual core operation.  What I can extrapolate from their comments is that CPB and then XFR requires this kind of voltage for the worst possible chips off the production line to hit their advertised speeds.  It's safe and normal.

You have an issue of high idle temps which is not this, from what I gather.  High idle temps is a mess in your particular system somewhere.  Setting a static 1.30v or letting it auto up/down volt (even excessively in my opinion) still keeps idle temps down real low.  I'll confess it's about about 10°C +/-5 in my room, but still my Tdie is 20°C.

Are you sure you are reading T-die not T-ctrl or T-socket? 

Only time will tell how 'safe' these voltages are. Sadly, but even TEAM RED is not saving us some shoddy stuff nowadays.

You're right, my idle temps are also high with auto settings and a monstrous cooler. Another funny thing - my Sapphire boost seems to be broken too. When it's ON I get a 'nice' 3.3GHz cap, but I get no voltage above 1.2V! Voltage regulation and CPU speed are varying with the load, and idle temps are 24C (Tdie ofc)! Go figure!
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 2:42am
@ datonyb

So just what vCore reference do we use???

HWinfo64:

CPU:
Core # VID:  This is the requested voltage from each core.  It maybe a false data point but the actual number seems to read correct, even if it might not be for each core necessarily.  Auto ranges from 0.400 (idle) to 1.200 (all-core) to 1.550v (single/dual core boost XFR), it varies between of course.

CPU Core Voltage SV12 TFN: Requested(?) or Input voltage(?) into the SMU, or the front end voltage distribution and controller on the CPU.  Shows vDroop when higher voltages are required.

Nuvoton:
Vcore: motherboard vCore reported.  Jumps around all over the place down to ~0.300v but up to near defined static voltage - vdroop.

IRF PRM chip:
VR Out: Follows CPU Core SV12 TFN pretty darn closely with a small margin of error.  A graphical plot follows really well.

Other software doesn't seem to be able to read T-die nor CPU SV12 TFN.  I believe the motherboard HW Monitor tab reports the same Vcore as from the Nuvoton.
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 5:11am
when i ran the hwinfo earlier to try and see what you was using to compare i found the nuvoton one was shadowing the cpuz reading for idle voltage dropping to 0.500 ish

tonight i also found aida stress test dosnt show the cpu voltage in real time graph yet on text based tab it does

it would appear these programs still havnt caught up to ryzen

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 5:15am
Originally posted by VUMeter VUMeter wrote:

@ datonyb:  Ah ha!  I didn't think of it before, but yes, makes sense....

Your screen shots tell me a lot!  #1 well, setting the "CPU Voltage(V)" volts here don't do diddly under P3.00.
#2 Of course!  Fixed mode has an "auto" option by default.  P3.00 does not.  Undr P3.0 as soon as you enter Fixed, it shows 1.35000.  I will re-investigate setting 1.30000 in the top section and Fixed "Auto" in the lower.  
It didn't occur to me when I first saw it, although I did feel scared when I saw auto not a number....I panicked when I typed 1.30000 and crossed my fingers and hoped it'd boot without the smell of toasted silicon.

I will go try shortly!

Thanks for posting these images, it really tells a lot.

ya see a pic speaks a million words Smile

i was kinda wondering how it can be hard to work out but i suppose sometimes i dont convey what im trying to say well

the point im trying to make is try and leave the speed to itself ,but limit the volts manually
see what that does

datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 5:17am
Originally posted by yodivanbaped yodivanbaped wrote:

@datonyb

Don't think I have those options, I have B350 Pro4 motherboard and I don't see that options you showed.

ok i guess you may have less options ,but see what options you do have and try it

the overall format should be similar

eg
cpu speed
cpu volts

and maybe options for use fixed voltage ?

VUMeter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VUMeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 7:35am
I used Fixed: Auto, et the top voltage to 1.30 and the Nuvoton vCore bounced around, whilst the SV12 TFN and VR Out (IRF chip) were static at 1.30v.

I think it's utterly insane that a company puts out a product and advertises it as an easily user tweakable device, yet doesn't provide any way to actually measure some crucial data.  Well, they haven't come out and said monitor your motherboard controller chip (Nuvoton or whatever) is the source you should read.  

CPU-Z, UEFI "HW Monitor", ASRock A-Tuning*, OpenHardwareMonitor all use the Nuvoton as the source for vCore.

Not much offers the ability to even see the CPU data.

* A-tuning 3.0.184 Doesn't really track the vCore shown in HWInfo64 Nuvoton, I think its a latency/timing issue as the same values do crop up, but out of sync.  Definitely it's not following SV12 TFN voltage.

I'd love to read through a white paper on this kinda stuff.  The Stilt was getting there...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic