ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ASRock Bulletin > Product News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - We Are Ready For 5th Gen Intel® Core Processors !
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

We Are Ready For 5th Gen Intel® Core Processors !

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ASRock_News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We Are Ready For 5th Gen Intel® Core Processors !
    Posted: 19 Mar 2015 at 10:54am
TAIPEI, Taiwan, March 18, 2015 ??Tired of that same old boring computing rig that has been sitting lifelessly on the desk? Well, a system upgrade might not be a bad idea right now, especially when Intel® is releasing their latest 5th Gen Intel® Core??Processors. Besides, if you already own an ASRock Z97 or H97 chipset motherboard by any chance, then they're actually ready to support these new processors by a fast and painless BIOS upgrade through the ASRock APP Shop software.

The most noticeable differences between the 4th and 5th generation is that the 5th generation Intel® Core??processors provide superior performance with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 and Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology. Moreover, these new processors offer enhanced integrated Intel® HD Graphics for stunning visuals and significantly better 3D performance. No matter whether your plan is to play 4K Ultra HD videos or simply just to run the latest games, these 5th generation Intel® Core??processors are going to bring your screen to life!

Edited by Administrator - 19 Mar 2015 at 4:00pm
bog_xdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bog_xdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 7:08am
So Z87 chipset motheboards are not compatible with 5th Gen Intel® Core Processors ?
Live free or die hard
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by bog_xdan bog_xdan wrote:

So Z87 chipset motheboards are not compatible with 5th Gen Intel® Core Processors ?

I'm afraid not, the (x)97 chipsets are basically identical to the (x)87/5/1 chipsets with the exception of Broadwell support, the newer chipsets have had some very slight changes made with the specific purpose of supporting the new gen 5 CPUs. So that means those of us on intel 8 series chipsets are out of luck when it comes to Broadwell. On the up side however, Broadwell will be nothing special and certainly not be worth upgrading to for those who already have decent Haswell i5/i7 CPUs. Broadwell will only really be attractive to OEMs and people who have been using celeron, pentium or i3s and have been holding on for the gen 5 CPUs.

From all available info on Broadwell it is simply a die shrink of the haswell CPUs which will result in lower TDP but otherwise identical performance. If the new CPUs were binned at the same speeds as the Devils Canyon i5 4690k and i7 4790k then they would be a very attractive option for overclockers but sadly this isn't to be the case.

i7 5775C - 3.3ghz - 3.7ghz boost 6mb cache vs i7 4790k - 4.0ghz - 4.4ghz boost 8mb cache
i5 5675C - 3.1ghz - 3.6ghz boost 4mb cache vs i5 4690k - 3.5ghz - 3.9ghz boost 6mb cache

So basically the broadwell line seems to be aimed at mainstream users rather than being enthusiast/high end gamer parts. That will mean a better cost to performance ratio but the CPUs are not going to be binned for spectacular overclocking. 

I still think they will catch on given their 65w TDP and 14nm architecture, I just don't think they will be the CPU to sell your granny for as most intel fans had hoped. Skylake is just around the corner and its clear intel did not want Broadwell to cut into its Skylake sales.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic