ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X370 Killer SLI huge volt. drop, impossible to OC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X370 Killer SLI huge volt. drop, impossible to OC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by adsaidler adsaidler wrote:

Originally posted by chainsaw chainsaw wrote:

if you can exchange the MOBO for a launch Rev. you can get LLC. Sad that ASRock is removing features on new revisions. When we look up reviews about the mobo they are often from early in the release cycle. when asrock removes features as time goes on it really does a dis-service to the end users.

That is the problem. I feel extremely mislead.

Welcome to the ASRock club! LOL
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
adsaidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adsaidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

Anything over 3.8 is a bonus and 3.8 should be enough to extract the most out of your GPU. If you want to challenge yourself and have some fun with your overclocking, try and see how low you can get your voltages at ~3.8/3.9 while still being stable. This is the most often overlooked conclusion of a proper overclocking session, finding the sweet spot for 24/7 use Wink

Thanks again for the input, Xaltar!

Just completed a 13 hour run of AIDA64 with the following results:
Core clock: 3.9GHz
CPU voltage: 1.3625v
Core voltage under load: 1.29v
Average temp: 69c (air conditioning on drops it by 10c; Brazil is really, really hot)
VRM temps: 80c

The last attempt at 3.95GHz was @1.4125v (1.36 under load) unstable, so I gave up. Totally not worth the extra voltage and temps (around 5c).

Overall I'm really satisfied with the results! Next up will be a 12-hour run of Prime95 and OCCT to assess stability and then I'll work on tightening the memory timings or increasing the clocks; Samsung B-die should give me some working room!

Thank you guys a lot for the feedback! :D

adsaidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote adsaidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by zlobster zlobster wrote:

Originally posted by chainsaw chainsaw wrote:

if you can exchange the MOBO for a launch Rev. you can get LLC. Sad that ASRock is removing features on new revisions. When we look up reviews about the mobo they are often from early in the release cycle. when asrock removes features as time goes on it really does a dis-service to the end users.

That is the problem. I feel extremely mislead.

Welcome to the ASRock club! LOL

I'll keep this in mind when time comes to purchase my next motherboard, or give advice to friends.

However, the price was extremely good at black friday, making it cheaper than lots of B350 boards, so I still feel like I got a lot o value for the money invested.

Looks are awesome too on my black and white build! :D
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 11:37pm

However, the price was extremely good at black friday, making it cheaper than lots of B350 boards, so I still feel like I got a lot o value for the money invested.

Looks are awesome too on my black and white build! :D

This is where ASRock shines, value for money Wink Get a good deal on top of that and you really score. 

On top of all that, there is no way of knowing if your CPU can even reach 4.0 to begin with, no matter the board, a lot of Ryzen CPUs can't. This is why I said overclocking should be focused on getting the most out of your particular system without sacrificing thermals, wherever you land, you land. In all my years of overclocking I have only ever gotten one good CPU that met (and exceeded) my expectations, all the others (I build PCs for a living so this is a LOT) have narrowly missed my goals or failed to come close at all. Eventually I wised up and realized that literally any overclock is free performance and more than I paid for. Change the way you look at it and you will no longer be disappointed and actually enjoy the process. 

I have been overclocking for a very long time, I have felt your frustration many times, especially when I started out. Eventually I mellowed out and realized how little that extra X or Y mhz really meant and how little performance it amounted to. Remember this, you have an 8 core 16 thread monster on your desk that kicks ass and takes names, even at stock Wink

Good luck with the RAM, I hate setting up RAM, it can be so tedious Confused I managed 3500 on my 3600 RAM with my Taichi then the next BIOS update killed that and I couldn't get 3200 stable then I got 3200 with the next update...... It wasn't my board or ASRock it was the damned AGESA code, I have never had such headaches with my RAM before. If you can get anything over 2666 you are doing good, 3200 or more and you are sitting pretty for sure Wink I pushed my system to the absolute limits for the review I wrote on the board, usually I don't go to so much effort.

Happy Holidays and congrats on your new beast Big smile 
adsaidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adsaidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 1:52am
Thanks for making me look at this situation from another, more positive, perspective!

I'm preparing my stomach to deal with the RAM later. Guess I won't even have the time, since I still have to complete runs of OCCT, Real Bench and some Battlefield 1 to consider it stable enough for my needs!

Happy Holidays to you guys, and I can't wait to get everything in order to finally play some Battlefield 1 on this machine. My i5 3570k @4.5Ghz was providing really poor .1% lows, even though the maximum reached between 90-100fps!

Cheers!
chainsaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chainsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 2:57am
some food for thought. my OC of 4ghz is stable* doing prime95 and aida64 all gaming all day and night. BUT it is infact not stable and will crash doing Handbrake or video editing. my real "stable" oc is only 3.75ghz any more with even 1.45v does not pass the realwork Encoding/editing. Most games i play don't bottleneck my 2x GTX1080's in sli even at 3.75ghz. 
ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 P3.40
AMD RYZEN 7 1700 @ 4Ghz 1.39v
Noctua NH-D15 "blocks top 1x pci-e"
16GB GSkill Ripjaw V F4-3200C16D-16GVRB @ 2933 14-15-15-15 T1 1.365v
GTX 1080 x2 Sli
markp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 11:17am
Originally posted by zlobster zlobster wrote:

More so, 24/7 under 1.4V Vcore and your Ryzen will bite the dust within a few months (rough estimation Big smile).

What Xaltar said is 100% true - gains from 3.8-4.0GHz are marginal except for a few benchmarks. If your intention was to render or crunch 24/7 under extreme speeds, then I'm afraid you choose the wrong platform for this.

Invest more time in faster RAM, it works wonders for Ryzens.

I am going to call bull$hit on this, dust within a few months my a$$.  I have been running 1.45 v-core on my R7 1700 for months (since May 2017) at 3.95 to 4.0 GHz (although the highest "stable" clock is 3.975, took me months to be able to get it to run benchmarks at 4.0 GHz).   It will run all day at 3.975 GHz (depending on the BIOS version - the latest BIOS made me drop to 3.95 GHz to have the reliability I wanted).

That said, my rig is water-cooled, which I am sure helps.  I also have a separate fan blowing directly over the VRM to ensure that the temps remain well below the rated capacities.  Getting past 4.0 GHz, my unlucky R7 1700 CPU will balk nearly every time (where my "good" R5 1400 will run 4.1 GHz on air cooling!).  I might add that none of my Ryzen's which are ALL clocked at or above 1.40 v-core have been rock solid 24/7 (2 air-cooled 1400's 3.85 GHz and 4.05 GHz and 1 water-cooled R7 1700 at 3.95 GHz).

Does it place these CPU's at risk of early failure, sure, no doubt it does.  Is it a matter of turning them into dust "in a few months"?  Not even close.  Control the temps and the hardware will certainly last longer (and perhaps with much less risk than commonly thought).

Is my data anecdotal and an insufficient sample size, yes, but it is data which suggests that Ryzen might tolerate more voltage over time than some might believe.  FWIW, I might be bottlenecking my GPU's but that's two 1080ti's in SLI - at which point, who cares.  One last note, I maxed out the ram at 3333, but the timings were really loose.  Performance was much better on the Samsung B-Die running 13-14-14-14-28-40-1 timings at 3200 MT/s  (260-192-118 tRFC)

Edited by markp - 07 Jan 2018 at 11:22am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 2:36am
Busy at home and late to the game here but............

Two new X370 Killer SLI/AC BIOSes just released on Jan 16 2018.

Must be done in order.

3.50 FIRST

Then 4.50

4.50: AGESA PinnaclePI-AM4 1.0.0.0

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 2:52am
Originally posted by markp markp wrote:

Is my data anecdotal and an insufficient sample size, yes, but it is data which suggests that Ryzen might tolerate more voltage over time than some might believe.

Water cooling does help with temps. ie: voltage related excessive temps

But otherwise, I'm going with you stating anecdotal. It is still somewhat early to definitively state such as anything but as personal experiences yet.

adsaidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adsaidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 3:03am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Busy at home and late to the game here but............

Two new X370 Killer SLI/AC BIOSes just released on Jan 16 2018.

Must be done in order.

3.50 FIRST

Then 4.50

4.50: AGESA PinnaclePI-AM4 1.0.0.0

Thanks for the heads up! I'll install it when possible!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic