ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - M.2 PCIe SSD connected incorrectly as an M.2 SATA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

M.2 PCIe SSD connected incorrectly as an M.2 SATA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M.2 PCIe SSD connected incorrectly as an M.2 SATA
    Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 10:33pm
I have a brand new build using a SAMSUNG MZHPV256HDGL-00000 (M.2 PCIe 256Gb SSD) on an ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITXac.

I have connected it in the M_1 slot but instead of running as a PCIe card it is running as a SATA card.

These are the results from Speccy:

SAMSUNG MZHPV256HDGL-00000
    Manufacturer    SAMSUNG
    Heads    16
    Cylinders    31,130
    Tracks    7,938,150
    Sectors    500,103,450
    SATA type    SATA-III 6.0Gb/s
    Device type    Fixed
    ATA Standard    ACS2
    Serial Number    S1X2NYAH700410
    Firmware Version Number    BXW2500Q
    LBA Size    48-bit LBA
    Power On Count    224 times
    Power On Time    215.3 days
    Speed    Not used (SSD Drive)
    Features    S.M.A.R.T., NCQ, TRIM, SSD
    Max. Transfer Mode    SATA III 6.0Gb/s
    Used Transfer Mode    SATA III 6.0Gb/s
    Interface    SATA
    Capacity    238 GB
    Real size    256,060,514,304 bytes
    RAID Type    None

Every other utility I have used says the same and the speeds are slow as per SATA.

I have tried updating the driver, using a pure version of the Samsung NVMe driver (from here), but it didn't alter anything.

I have tried updating the BIOS but got an error saying the BIOS was incorrect for my motherboard!

EDIT: I have updated the BIOS! Still no change.

I'm a tad frustrated.

Edited by Marmite - 03 Jan 2018 at 11:30pm
Marmite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 10:52pm
I have tried updating the BIOS using the ASRock App, the Windows method where it tells me the BIOS file I downloaded isn't compatible and the Flash from USB method where it says it can't find the image file.

EDIT: I have managed to update the BIOS now and the SSD still thinks it's a SATA drive.

Edited by Marmite - 03 Jan 2018 at 11:31pm
wtuppa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wtuppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 12:47am
where did you buy this SSD. it seems to be quite old, because it was already powered up 224 times for a total uptime of 213 days. this cannot be a new drive.

if the computer thinks. that it is connected to SATA, I am sure, it is.
there exist Samsung SSD M.2 drives with SATA only, not PCIe. not drive can have both, SATA and PCIe.

your SAMSUNG MZHPV256HDGL-00000 should be PCIe x4 SSD, not SATA (and is listed as a compatible SSD module).
Th M.2 Ultra slot of the board supports both types of SSD.

to which SATA controller is the SSD connected? if M.2 slot is used with SATA device, SATA3_0 (first device) will be used (and is not available for SATA drives). If a device is connected to SATA3_0 then, it will be not available.
ASRock H170 Pro4/Windows 7
Marmite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 11:24am
Originally posted by wtuppa wtuppa wrote:

where did you buy this SSD. it seems to be quite old, because it was already powered up 224 times for a total uptime of 213 days. this cannot be a new drive.

if the computer thinks. that it is connected to SATA, I am sure, it is.
there exist Samsung SSD M.2 drives with SATA only, not PCIe. not drive can have both, SATA and PCIe.

your SAMSUNG MZHPV256HDGL-00000 should be PCIe x4 SSD, not SATA (and is listed as a compatible SSD module).
Th M.2 Ultra slot of the board supports both types of SSD.

to which SATA controller is the SSD connected? if M.2 slot is used with SATA device, SATA3_0 (first device) will be used (and is not available for SATA drives). If a device is connected to SATA3_0 then, it will be not available.

The SSD isn't a new drive, but it is a fresh installation. I previously used it in an Intel NUC where is performed flawlessly and used the correct connection protocol.

This is the only drive connected to the motherboard at the moment, so none of the other SATA ports are being used.

One correction from me, is that this drive is AHCI not NVME.
wtuppa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wtuppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 6:55pm
Ok, if its from a NUC, then it is defnitly a PCIe x4 SSD, since the M.2 is there PCIe only. Maybe Speccy is wrong due to the fact, that the SSD is AHCI (not NMVE).
can you try to some SATA device on SATA3_0 port. If you can see it, then the SSD is definitly PCIe.

hace you checked the device view from Windows. it has a connection view. how does it show up there?

Edited by wtuppa - 04 Jan 2018 at 6:58pm
ASRock H170 Pro4/Windows 7
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic