ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beebox HDCP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beebox HDCP
    Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 8:48pm
Received my N3000 beebox, for the most part i like the little box.  I purchased the box to be used in my bedroom as a windows media center PC to watch live TV via HDHomerun Prime.  Unfortunately windows media center is not detecting the system to be HDCP compatible when using the HDMI port.  I have installed all the up to date drivers and tried troubleshooting as best as possible but I find it hard to believe that the box wouldn't be HDCP.  So I'm hoping someone can give me a clue as to what I'm obviously missing otherwise I am going to have to return the box.  The display(tv) and HDMI cable are working with my other HTPC so those can be ruled out as the issue.  I also ran an additional test using the CyberLink BD Advisor tool that states there is no HDCP.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 9:08pm
I was unable to find much about the Beebox and HDCP other than it does not support HDCP 2.2 which is an inherited limitation from the Braswell platform. I don't have an HDMI monitor on hand so I can't test with my own Braswell system to confirm as it is hooked up to the DVI connection on the TV in my bedroom. 

Have you tried connecting your tv to the other HDMI port? I noticed that the 2 ports are different colors (at least on the product page pics) which could indicate a difference in features between the 2. I find it hard to believe that it has no support for HDCP at all, not the latest standard maybe but none at all makes no sense.

[edit]
I am downloading the test you used to check my system for compatibility on my 2 monitors and I will get back to you. 

[edit]
I can confirm that the platform does in fact support HDCP on my DVI monitor though not on my DSub monitor (as I expected). I could not test the HDMI port on my board but I suspect it would have passed too.

My system is an ASRock N3150M which is similarly specced to the Beebox N3150 and only differs from your N3000 in that it has a quad core Celeron 3150 instead of the dual core Celeron 3000, there are no differences in feature support however.

I hope this helps

Edited by Xaltar - 28 Aug 2015 at 9:30pm
Scoob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 3:25am
Thanks Xaltar, for whatever reason the beebox does not like the TV it was being connected to even though I tried my laptop again with no HDCP issues.  I was able to get the box to do HDCP through my other tv but it doesn't seem to have the processing needed to play the live channel stream.  I was able to play local 4k video without any issues but the DRM copy protected decoding and poor resource management of WMC appears to be too much for the cpu.  Whenever i would launch a channel in WMC the cpu would be pegged at 100% and video playback was slow/stuttery even connected via ethernet.  Appreciate the time you spent checking out the HDCP issue, i found it hard to believe myself that it wouldn't be supported.  Do you think the N3150 would fair any better?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 5:21am
The N3150 would be a little under 2x faster assuming the software utilizes all 4 cores. I don't have a 4k display to test on and downsampling to 1080p on my system from 4k generates too much overhead (real time downsampling is pretty cpu intensive). If you were able to play local 4k on the n3000 then the n3150 would undoubtedly fair better. To get the best out of the beebox (any model) you really need to utilize the dual channel RAM support.

Edited by Xaltar - 02 Sep 2015 at 5:21am
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 12:32pm
Dear Scoob,

We tested with CyberLink tool v2.0.7510.0 and Video Connection Type is passed.
Please refer to the following picture to check our test result and try to use the new CyberLink tool for testing.
CyberLink Tool v.2.0.7510.0:

Test Result: Video Connection Type is passed

If it's still not working, please provide your BIOS version for us check.
Thanks!

Have a nice day
ASRock TSD

Edited by ASRock_TSD - 02 Sep 2015 at 12:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic