ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z270 Killer - Board powrs on, no video signal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
frustratedForscher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frustratedForscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z270 Killer - Board powrs on, no video signal
    Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 9:39am
These are the relevant components:
  • MOBO    ASROCK Z270 KILLER SLI/AC
  • CPU    Celeron G3930
  • RAM    CRUCIAL 4GB DDR4-2133
  • PSU    SILVERSTONE Strider 1200W Platinum 80+

I agree with you that it's possible the problem could be with a different component.

One thing I would like to know about this ASRock board is what options are there for pre-bios debugging? The MSI Z270 at least had a strip of debug LEDs. The information from those led me to believe that the problem was with the motherboard rather than a specific component. For details please see https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/7n5vo1/mobo_wont_post_stuck_in_reset_loop/

Main post updated as well

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 7:40am
Please list your full system specs including power supply make and model. By the sound of it the board is not the problem. 2 different boards from different brands both giving issues points the finger elsewhere. 
frustratedForscher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frustratedForscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 6:12am
Edit: Solved
The RAM card was the problem. Tested with a single stick of 8GB DDR4 in the B1 slot and it chooch'd. Lack of debug lights on the board did not help.

No video signal is detected from the board.
It is a Z270 Killer SLI/ac mobo.

Relevant system components
  • MOBO    ASROCK Z270 KILLER SLI/AC
  • CPU    Celeron G3930
  • RAM    CRUCIAL 4GB DDR4-2133
  • PSU    SILVERSTONE Strider 1200W Platinum 80+

The board powers on and the CPU fan spins.
When powered on, the fans will power on for about half a second, turn off for several seconds, and then power on again. This cycle repeats until the reset button is switched. After the reset, the fans will power on and stay on.
When powering the system on with no RAM card attached the system speaker will beep 3 long pulses and repeat that. I've tried the RAM card in all 4 slots (doesn't seem to make much difference).

Have used two different monitors, both with DVI-D connection. The cable appears to be a Single Link DVI-D (looks like https://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/media/products/gallery_large/DVIDSMMX.C.jpg)
Have tried the onboard DVI-D port and with a GPU (Radeon RX580). No signal from either. When the GPU is plugged in, the fans spin. I haven't tried the HDMI ports yet as I don't have an HDMI monitor at the moment.

Something I am wondering is if these monitors (they are old, one from 2011, the other one a few years older) might be for some reason incompatible with newer boards such as this one? I think it's not likely as the DVI standard is supposedly supported here and hasn't changed.

I have also tried clearing the CMOS by shorting the CLRCMOS pins and taking the battery out. No change.

Also, my user manual makes no mention of any native debug functionality on the board, such as debug LEDs or the like. Is there something I'm overlooking?

I should also mention that when an ethernet cable is connected the light on the port flashes yellow. Is it possible, that there could be a way to communicate with the computer over ethernet to verify if it's actually reaching the BIOS, but it's just the video signal that's defective?

This is the second board I've tried, the previous one (an MSI product, same chipset) had to be RMA'd. Really not looking forward to having to RMA yet another board so I greatly hope I can get this one to work. Hopefully one of you fine forum fellows could share some extra troubleshooting tips? This is very frustrating for me at this point and, as this is the second board to not work, I'm starting to wonder if I've essentially flushed $1000+ (for other system components) down the drain....

Thanks for reading.

Edited by frustratedForscher - 16 Jan 2018 at 11:15am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic