ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock AB350 Pro4 Motherboard Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrew1183 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 10:03am
Thanks. That makes me feel a little more confident about going with that mobo. I have no past experience with MSI, and this is not only my first Ryzen, but AMD build as well, so I'm venturing into unknown territory here.

I just cannot justify going with Intel anymore when you look at price vs performance. The cost of a comparable AMD CPU just shows how out of control things have gotten over the past couple of years. I was never a fan of AMD, but I hope they continue to bounce back. I'm definitely going Threadripper on my next personal build, hopefully sometime this year. Anyone heard rumors / road maps on when the next generation of those will be out?

Edited by Andrew1183 - 20 Jan 2018 at 10:09am
Andrew1183 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew1183 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 10:20am
Oh nice. I didn't realize they released some news at CES. Looks like a 2nd half release for TR gen 2.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3246211/computers/amd-reveals-ryzen-2-threadripper-2-7nm-navi-and-more-in-ces-blockbuster.html
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 8:27pm
MSI are well known for their bad VRM design. https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=289191.0 and countless YT videos.

Do yourself a favor and get a decent mobo, if you can afford it. AMD is de wey! Spit on de false Intel queen! *CLUC*
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew1183 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 1:21am
Are they actually that bad? The link you posted seems more like it's a situation of someone not knowing what they're doing & poor fan placement in the case. I mean come on, 4 fans on 1 radiator mounted in the front of the case. The guy was suffocating the rest of his components.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 1:25am
i have 4 12cm fans on 1 radiator..is that a problem? airflow is sweet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew1183 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 1:54am
Probably not, but the guy didn't seem to be venting out the back or top of the case.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 2:10am
Originally posted by Andrew1183 Andrew1183 wrote:

Probably not, but the guy didn't seem to be venting out the back or top of the case.

That will do it, especially if your fans are pulling through the rad into the case. If I turn my exhaust fans too low or off my VRM temps jump up pretty quick even on my Taichi. So long as you dump the heat out of the case fast it works fine but using your rad fans as intakes will build heat quick. I like the look of a front mounted rad so I make sure I have enough exhaust fans to compensate. Ideally you want the rad top mounted as exhaust with your front populated with 2 or 3 120 or 140mm fans, this should keep the VRMs nice and cool. 
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 9:53pm
haha i read the first line of that linked forum and stopped right there.............

the poster had used a water cooler ,and gave absolutely no thought to vrm cooling solution he had just removed from designed idea................

of course he had heat issues !  the stock fan it actually designed to downdraught air into the vrm heatsinks, when you remove it and use a waterblock there is no airflow into the vrm area

SCHOOLBOY ERROR !

of the three tomahawk boards i have been involved in none have vrm heat issues, similar to the asrock b350 pro4 there are quite decent heatsinks fitted to the vrms compared to other models and brands of b350

to be honest on the subject of the linked post at 4ghz someone needs to pay a lot more attention to the overall system AND THE SIDE EFFECTS

i'll stick by my own experiance and still state at the £100/$100 area the msi tomahawk seems the best all round choice (i would love to be able to say the asrock pro4 but the bios is a weak point still in my eyes,allthough the mechanical design e.g. vrm and heatsinks etc are great for a b350)
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold
datonyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote datonyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 11:08pm
i would agree with you there about the guy needing to learn

but quite how this supports your point about msi vrm being no good is beyond me ?

its like saying a certain engine is bad becuase heres a link to a guy emptying engine oil out and driving it down the freeway until it blew a rod out the side of block........
[url=https://valid.x86.fr/jpg250][/url]

3800X, powercolor reddevil vega64, gskill tridentz3866, taichix370, evga750watt gold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew1183 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 2:10am
Uh, yeah, so I ordered that MSI Tomahawk board. Wish me luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic