ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installed Linux don't boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierre-24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installed Linux don't boot
    Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 9:18pm
Hello,

I'm in possession of a A320M Pro4 that I just buy, but it seems that I have some trouble with it. I installed Ubuntu Linux 17.10 (latest version) and though the BIOS show me the option in the boot options ...

... When I select it, nothing happen (the screen goes black for like half a second, then the choices pop back on screen). Ubuntu has been installed with UEFI, and if CSM is disabled, only the "SATA_X" option disapear, but same behavior. So the BIOS is able to boot the USB key, but not the actual installed system ?!?

I use the 3.40 version of the bios, and I can upgrade to 4.50 if needed (though I doubt it would change anything according to the sparse changelog). So if someone is aware of an option that I forget to enable/disable, that would make my day !

Thanks in advance :)

(also, if someone have an idea on how to get an error log or something, that would be nice)

Edited by pierre-24 - 19 Jan 2018 at 9:22pm
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 9:28pm
maybe wrong forum?
https://askubuntu.com/questions/927924/how-to-install-ubuntu-in-uefi-mode
pierre-24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierre-24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 9:39pm
Maybe (I posted a message there as well, and I did almost everything recommended on that page, maybe not everything recommended on http://www.rodsbooks.com/linux-uefi/, though), but generally, either people cannot boot their LiveUSB because of UEFI, or everything is OK, and the problem happen in the next steps (i.e. kernel panics, wrong drivers and other stuffs). My situation is that I'm stuck in the middle: only liveUSB boots (and everything run perfectly),  not installed the one, which does not make any sense (that should be almost the same!). I cannot even access GRUB, so it looks really like a BIOS problem (or an odd installation problem o_O).

Edited by pierre-24 - 19 Jan 2018 at 9:47pm
zlobster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlobster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 9:59pm
Do you have CSM disabled or enabled? Did you init your TPM?
1700X ZP-B1 (stock); X370 Taichi (UEFI 3.10); 16GB F4-3200C14-8GFX XMP; 256GB 960 EVO; RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 10:02pm
if windows works than theres nothing wrong with bios, it just runs efi shell apps from your drive

try this:
boot from live disk or something to get to uefi mode

You can view the existing boot entries with "efibootmgr -v". This will reveal either a lack of an EFI entry, or perhaps a malformed EFI entry.

If you have an entry already, or if there is nothing there at all, rebuilding the GRUB should invoke efibootmgr to create an entry for you. This is the easiest course of action. You should do this within a chroot of your already installed system (another reason why we're using a live system). If you don't know how to set up a chroot environemnt, please reference this guide:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BasicChroot

After that is done, reinstall the GRUB package:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi

Once that is complete, stick the GRUB on your disk again:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Re-create your GRUB config (this should invoke efibootmgr as well):

sudo update-grub

Check that you have EFI boot images in /boot/EFI for your linux install. You should have directories for both Windows and Linux side by side, with .efi files in each.

Finally, check that you have a proper boot entry in your EFI NVRAM using efibootmgr -v

pierre-24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pierre-24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 4:26pm
Ok, I found the issue, it was more stupid than that: there was, for some reason, a "casper" directory in my boot partition, left there by Ubuntu installation for no reason. I remove it and update grub as you says, and it is now working (without CSM).

Thanks, I'm now abble to explore the possibilities and capacities of my new motherboard :)

Edited by pierre-24 - 20 Jan 2018 at 4:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic