ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock 990 FX killer with Samsung SM951

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote net2paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 12:54am
Thank you .
I installed an 128Gb SM951 AHCI version (boot drive) without issues.  

Edited by net2paul - 26 Sep 2015 at 2:06am
webbson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote webbson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 7:43pm
I wonder if it will support the Samsung 950 PRO M.2, that would be really awesome.
felix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Finnipinni Finnipinni wrote:

After alot of coffe, little update to my earlier posts.
First of all : There are no such word as "UEFI BIOS" It's either UEFI or BIOS.

.....//////..........

So many words....
Simplest way to get success, is first to format OS-disk to GPT.
In UEFI :
Disable GSM.
Set USB3 handling as suggested.
Then no problem should occure.

Hello ! Congrats for your success, i'm glad i found a positive result for AMD & SM951 !

Can you post a screenshot of AS-SSD benchmark of your SM951 ?

Thank you in advance!
Finnipinni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnipinni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 12:49am
Been away for a "while".

Don't know howto load a file here. I took AS speed and IOPS, snibbed it, made an .rtf, but how to load it here I don't fix.....

Please educate me :)

A88M G-3.1 2x4GB XMS SM951NVMe NanoPSU MediaPC
felix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 12:44pm
Use imgur.com to upload the screenshot of AS-SSD you took and post the link here
net2paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote net2paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 9:51pm
This is 128Gb SM951 Ahci version.
As we know the board is PCIe 2.0 x16 so the results is not so good.
Unfortunately NO PCIe 3.0 AMD board on the market.
Windows 10 - FX 8320 - 16Gb

Edited by net2paul - 21 Oct 2015 at 9:55pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Finnipinni Finnipinni wrote:

After alot of coffe, little update to my earlier posts.
First of all : There are no such word as "UEFI BIOS" It's either UEFI or BIOS.

UEFI has taken over for the old BIOS in 2007, now running version 2,5.

Got my first mobo with UEFI about 2011, so it's about time to make full use of it !
UEFI has the capability to run in both BIOS and UEFI in order to handle equipment that are not UEFI combatible as well. This feature is called CSM (CompabilitySupportModule), and are by default Enabled.

Today all equipment are UEFI combatible.

Only the disks needs any "tampering".
BIOS format disks in BMR(MasterBootRecord)

UEFI format disks in GPT(GuidePartitionTable)

To make use of both MBR- and GPT -disks, CSM has to be "fiddled" with.

Running GPT on all internal disks means you should disable CSM.
Advatages : Better security, a littel faster operation and use of big disks.

Installing NVMe disks like the SM951 have some demands.
They are not wery well taken care of in UEFA 2.5.
Full advantages is only possible in UEFI and has to be formatted in GPT.

In UEFI Mode, Windows 10 installer program will not find an MBR disk (in UEFI called Legacy disk). And will not find any place to load.
Formatting in the program means to establish the MBR !!

So, in UEFI the OS-disk has to be formatted in GPT in advance, regardless of disk type.

Rest of the disks may be formatted in GPT when W10 is installed.
In UEFI : also set USB3 handling to AUTO, then USB will handle both MBR and GPT.

How to make GPT disks :
In Disk Mangement :
The chois MBR to GPT are in R.click menu when pointing the disk in the left collumn.

1. Format 2. Choose Delete Volume. 3. MBR to GPT. 4. R.click unallocated volume/new simple volume, and follow the precidure (Next all the way). You can label the disk later.

In Command promt (admin) :

Type diskpart/list disk/select disk 1 (the disk number) clean/convert GPT

Both ways will cleene the disk completly, so backup all you want to keep !
There are programs who can do this without loss. I investigated one of them - it was complicated.....

So many words....
Simplest way to get success, is first to format OS-disk to GPT.
In UEFI :
Disable GSM.
Set USB3 handling as suggested.
Then no problem should occure.

I am thrilled you got your SM951 booting! It is booting Windows, right?

You are Norwegian (so am I, a little bit, and Danish too), and your English skills are good. But it is hard for you to describe these things, right? I'm not sure if I understand everything you wrote, so I want to review it to be sure. I hope you will do that for me, please.

One other thing first. When I write UEFI/BIOS, I do that so people will start using UEFI as the name of the firmware on our mother boards. We do not use BIOS firmware anymore, but most people still call it "BIOS". I do that so people know when I write UEFI, I mean what they are calling BIOS. You are right that we either have UEFI or BIOS firmware. We now only have UEFI firmware.

The CSM, when Enabled, runs the UEFI firmware in emulated BIOS mode. That means none of the advantages of UEFI firmware is used, which is terrible. Setting CSM to Disabled allows all the features that UEFI firmware has, to be used. But when really using the UEFI firmware, with CSM disabled, Windows must be installed with a GPT partitioning type, and will then use the Windows EFI boot loader.

But to use the EFI boot loader, that normally requires an EFI compatible storage Option ROM to be used, which is part of the UEFI file.

I have been installing Windows on regular SATA SSDs to boot from the Windows EFI bootloader. That is what happens when you have GPT partitioning of the SSD, and have CSM disabled as you said you did in your post above, right?

When I am using Intel mother boards, I set CSM to Disabled. I then set the SATA mode to RAID. Those two things cause the EFI compatible storage Option ROM to be used during the Windows installation. I also must load the Intel "F6" Intel RAID driver, or the SSD will not be seen by the Windows installation program. I do not format the SSD at all.

After I load the F6 RAID driver, the SSD is then seen by the Windows installation program. I then click on "New", and Windows formats the SSD as GPT, and creates three other partitions, that are needed for a complete EFI booting Windows installation.

I'm not saying formatting the SSD before the installation as GPT is wrong, I don't know if your Windows installation has all the partitions that mine do. Your method seems to work fine.

I have an ASRock 970 Performance/3.1 board, that uses the same AMD Southbridge (SATA) chipset as your ASRock 990FX Killer, so control of SSDs should be the same.

When I tried to install Windows 10 in the same way on the AMD board as I do when I use Intel boards, the installation fails. I have the SATA mode set to RAID, and CSM set to Disabled.

I cannot find an AMD F6 RAID driver that will work like the Intel F6 driver does. So the SSD is never seen by Windows.

Your method, which seems to work, starts with the SATA mode set to AHCI, is that right? You did not say which SATA mode you used in your post.

You also did not say what AHCI driver you are using. It seems to be the standard Windows AHCI driver, storahci. Or do you install an AMD AHCI driver after the Windows 10 installation.

Next, you format the SSD as GPT in Diskpart. That can also be done in Windows Disk Management.

You have CSM Disabled when the other two things are done, and then can install Windows fine, right?

Do you the Windows disk, or a USB flash drive?

I am curious about how your OS disk appears in Disk Management after the Windows Installation. This is how my EFI booting Windows 10 installation appears in Disk Management, the top entry:

That disk is really two Samsung AHCI SM951s in a RAID 0 array. That can be done now on the newest Intel chipset boards, like a Z170. That is my Window 10 drive on my ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ board. The 450MB Recovery Partition is actually two partitions, one is a hidden MBR partition that the Windows installation program put on the drive. That allows the installation to boot if CSM is Enabled.

I'll try your method, but I don't think the result is quite the same as the way I do it. I also do not think an AMD RAID driver for the SB950 chipset exists that can use the EFI bootloader.

I hope this makes sense to you, if you have questions about it, please ask.

net2paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote net2paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 1:38am
U need to create a Windows 10 USB installation media with UEFI support (GPT)
Booting directly from USB . Ahci mode in UEFI and only SM951 connected, no other drive. 
Installing a bootable Win10 on it. 

How to create a Windows 10 USB installation media with UEFI support:

Edited by net2paul - 23 Oct 2015 at 1:49am
aberdeen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aberdeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 1:34am
aberdeen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aberdeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 1:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic