ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - FM2A88M-HD+ combination with Sapphire RadeonHD4850
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

FM2A88M-HD+ combination with Sapphire RadeonHD4850

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomasandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FM2A88M-HD+ combination with Sapphire RadeonHD4850
    Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 8:45pm
Hi,

I just bought As Rock FM2A88M-HD+ micro atx motherboard and reused the Sapphire Radeon HD4850 1 GB graphic card on the motherboard. 
I have installed all the latest drivers, but I keep having crashes "Windows Explorer has stopped working" error whenever I am viewing any photo in a folder.

Has anyone experienced this before? 
Please help if anyone know how to fix.

Is getting a new (latest/recent) graphic card helping to solve the issue?

Thanks,
thomasandy
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 10:58pm
Silly question but I have to ask, did you perform a fresh windows installation along with the new board or just use the original one from the previous motherboard? As a general rule, it is always strongly recommended to reinstall windows when replacing a motherboard unless it is exactly the same brand and model.

If it is a fresh install then you can try downloading and running DDU (Display driver Uninstaller) in safe mode to clear out your drivers completely then try an older version with your GPU. The 4850 has not seen any performance improvements for at least the last 8 driver generations so you will not be losing anything going back a version or 2 until you find one that is stable. Also double check the power connections to the GPU as well as make sure it is firmly slotted into the motherboard. 

The 4850 is still a pretty solid graphics card capable of running most, if not all, new games and applications reasonably well. Unless you are a heavy gamer and want better FPS and higher settings in modern titles you really don't need to throw money at a GPU just yet. As a general rule of thumb I determine a graphics card to be outdated when onboard (now on CPU) iGPUs are able to match or outperform them. The reason I look at it this way is because most new games will support higher end iGPUs on the low end of their requirements. 

I hope this helps
Welcome to the forums!
thomasandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomasandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 6:56am
Hi Xaltar,

Thanks for the response.

Yes I have to fresh install windows after replacing the motherboard otherwise windows will not start because it does not recognise the motherboard. 

I could not find a safe copy of Display Driver Uninstaller after you mentioned it as they are removed by the antivirus software in my computer. Do you have alternative solution?

4850 is getting power from the PSU and the power cable is securely installed.

thanks and regards,

thomasandy
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 5:53pm
DDU can be found here, it is the only source I download from. There should not be any virus warnings, if there are your antivirus is either reporting a false positive or you have a virus that is infecting downloads.

DDU used to be called driver cleaner and has been the go to graphics driver uninstaller for professionals for years now.

Hopefully the link I provided will be clean for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic