ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turning On Then Off By Itself When Powered

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turning On Then Off By Itself When Powered
    Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 10:55pm
A recently built machine turns on by itself when UPS is turned on (starting the day) then turns off after a few seconds.

After pressing the power button it turns on and works as expected.

In BIOS it is set to not turn on when powered (default).

There is no video card.

EDIT: Turning the UPS off and on doesn't cause the problem, but leaving the UPS turned off overnight seems to cause the problem (suspecting a faulty CMOS battery).

ASRock B250M Pro4
Intel Core i3-7100 CPU
Corsair CX430 v2 PSU (bought years ago, shrinkwrapped)

Edited by rocky - 31 Jan 2018 at 1:23am
rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 4:41am
Replaced the CMOS battery and cleared the CMOS with jumper, but the problem continues.

If I turn off the UPS and wait some minutes when I turn on the UPS the PC turns on, too. The UPS continues with its checkups and the PC turns off.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 4:54am
This is by design, when the capacitors discharge completely the "issue" will occur. It isn't anything to worry about, merely the board charging up it's capacitors in readiness for power on. This process reduces power spiking when the system is powered on and off and will increase the lifespan of your board. I would only be concerned if the system powered on with the UPS and remained on. My system does the same thing (X370 Taichi + R5 1600x) when I leave it unplugged for more than a few hours, I think there is a voltage threshold for this to trigger and it would seem that UPSes often cause this, it is just a safety feature doing it's job Wink

Enjoy your new build.

rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 6:50am
Glad to know I don't have to remove the UPS, or anything. Smile

Have you noticed if the entire system starts the boot process, like the hard drive reading because it seems to stop abruptly?

Would be nice to have a feature like this mentioned in the manual, I thought I was going to have to disassemble the whole thing.
rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 8:25pm
To prevent the computer from turning off, I'm letting the capacitors charge before turning on the computer.

I usually turned the computer on after the UPS is done performing its self-test, which only takes a few seconds.
mkaltenborn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkaltenborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 7:14pm
I am using a remote switch to cycle system power. What bios setting would allow me to cycle power and not shut down after ten seconds?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic