ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

AB350 Raven Ridge BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 2:13am
Originally posted by stree stree wrote:

Much as I  enjoy AMD  and sing their praises, funny how I keep having to dust off and fall back on this old G3258 Intel ITX..........Solid as a rock and just keeps going.
Can`t help but think that  AMD users are the live Beta testing team

I feel your pain but for years the entire industry has had to dance to Intel's tune. AMD's renaissance is a refreshing change and it's good news for everyone. Ryzen is a superb product and these new Raven Ridge APUs are wonderful value. They are brand new though and the P4.40 BIOS has a definite feel of having been rushed out to meet the 12th February deadline and certain things don't seem to have been adequately tested. That said, I've been able to work around all the problems that have affected me. You could argue that such work-arounds shouldn't be necessary but it's a trade off I'm prepared to accept in order to get the PC I want. I'll definitely buy both AMD and ASRock again.
stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 2:52am
The G3258 wil be the last intel I will ever buy. Especially after releasing it as an overclocker, then castrating it so it would only clock on Z boards........But typical Intel .
In spite of my observations about the flakey BIOS and the user base being the beta tester base, I am  more than happy to stick with AMD!  Same goes for ASRock.
I have  an A8-7600 on an ITX ASRock board apart from the 2 AM4 ITX boards mentioned, so yes, definitely a fan of AMD!
ASRock X370-ITX BIOS 4.50
R5 2600    Cryorig C7
EVGA GTX 950 75w
2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 2933
960Evo M.2 256GB, Firecuda 1TB
Win 10 Pro 64 1803
G-Unique Archdaemon 300 Watt
Lian-li Q21B
NedCAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NedCAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 5:55am
Okay! Finally got it working.

The short story:
System ingredients:
  • AM4 CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
  • RAM DDR4: Ballistix Sport LT, 2*8GB 2666 MHz
  • SSD M.2: Samsung 960 EVO MZ-V6E250BW
  • Mobo: ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/AC

I bought an A10-9700 APU, updated BIOS as instructed on AsRock site to BIOS version 4.43 (!)
Mounted 2400G
Windows 10 is installed without any problems
Samsung 960 EVO is properly recognized now(!)
Manually installed Radeon drivers

Happy ending so far! If someone (Dutch) needs a cheap and brand new A10-9700 APU, this is your chance ;-)

The longer story:
Thanks to ASRock technical support for thinking and prompt replies, just as you all here.
There are more NVMe SSD?™s not being detected by AGESA code, solved in BIOS 4.43, acc. to ASRock. That is also why my supplier couldn?™t fix it with BIOS 4.40.
It will probably be a good idea to be keen on future BIOS updates, considering the rush on updating is what I read between the lines.
ASRock offered to send a ROM chip, not needed in my case.
AMD directed me today to the motherboard manufacturer and asks proof of communication and more before able to ship a "boot kit". I have my thoughts... Save yourself the trouble to contact AMD.
The link to Radeon drivers: https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/desktop-apu-drivers.aspx#ryzen
This is for me the second time ASRock proved to support very properly when a situation gets ugly. A good reason to use their boards in the future.

Happy computing!
sebag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sebag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 1:18am
Hello everyone,

I recently bought similar components to build a PC and I too face now the same problem. By googling my symptoms I came across this Forum and decided to give it a try.

Components I bought:

• AM4 CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 
  • RAM DDR4: Ballistix Sport LT, 2*4GB 2666 MHz 
  • Mobo: ASRock AB350 Gaming-ITX/AC
After Installing all the components I tried to boot the computer but nothing happened. Even without the RAM sticks the computer won't give any POST beep. (Although I am now glad to see that the combination of mother board, RAM and processor is supposed to work).
Since I have no other AMD computer in my house, I asked the shop (Mindfactory.de) to update my BIOS for me (which they did, to 4.40). Since nothing worked I sent back processor and mother board to get them checked. I received them yesterday and they say everything is working fine. So today I tried again but I got the same result. No beep, no sign of life whatsoever. I really have no Idea what the problem might be!

I will try to call the shop tomorrow and see if I can talk to the technician who checked my components to see if I'm doing anything wrong. (which I don't really know what that might be since I'm trying to boot a main board with only a CPU on it to get at least a POST sign telling me that there's no RAM)

At my disposal I only have an old graphic card which I could try to mount in in order to get an image out of the computer (since no image is coming out of the integrated graphic card) and another power unit (which made no difference btw.)

Anyone here have an idea of what could've gone wrong? If I can't get it to work by Monday or so I'm sending it back since it's been less than 14days and I'll probably buy something else, but I'd really prefer to get this one going.

Thanks

stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 1:54am
You need BETA BIOS 4.43     4.40 is a broken BIOS
Plus  you do not say what the BIOS was when you sent it bck and had it updated. If Mindfactory updated from 3.0 or 3.10  then it should have demanded version 3.6 before it would allow version 4.4, so we can assume it  has had version 3.6 during the updates.
This means you can now update to the BETA BIOS 4.43  ( Bottom of the list of BIOS version on the support page)
Please use Instant Flash version, Do Not use Windows Flash !!

BUT.. you have not y yet got a post, so this above i all for when you get it posting, but please do not forget.
Good luck in your chat with the technician.
R5 2600    Cryorig C7
EVGA GTX 950 75w
Win 10 Pro 64 1803
Lian-li Q21B
sebag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sebag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 2:21am
Thank you very much for that info!
Yeah, I'm still struggling to get a POST signal, but I'll keep it in mind as soon as I get one.

Anyway, I asked to update the BIOS when I first ordered the mainboard and they said they updated it from 3.10 to 4.40. 

Since nothing was working I sent it back and asked them to check it for me and mentioned the fact that it needs to be first updated to 3.60 and then to 4.40 to support Ryzen processors of the second Generation. They said that they checked everything, installed the latest BIOS (not telling however which version, I assume at least 4.40 since that's the version they already installed the first time) and say that the components I sent in work properly. So that's my problem.. I'assuming at some point at Mindfactory my Mainboard was actually working with the processor, I just can't seem to get it work again.

Well, I hope to get some answers tomorrow after my chat with the technician.
stree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 2:44am
Just had a thought..  it may be unlikely, but....Rather than build the system up. boot and do the BIOS, I wonder if the techie dept just flashed a new BIOS on it?
Therefore the component build viability would not be tested, but it would save them time etc.
You could ask.......
R5 2600    Cryorig C7
EVGA GTX 950 75w
Win 10 Pro 64 1803
Lian-li Q21B
sebag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sebag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 3:10am
I presume that's exactly what happened the first time when I bought it and got it updated. Out of the box the mainboard had a 3.10, so I presume it was impossible for them to upgrade my BIOS with my processor. 

And that's why I sent it in! I just assumed they updated it with an older processor and just installed mine without checking it. However, now that they sent it back to me they wrote that "the components I sent are now working", so I presume they tested them together.

I've been doing some reading and I found out it's quite a common problem with this combination http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7743&title=ryzen-2200g-and-2400g-in-ab350-mini-itx-board

Now the TO said that he cleared the CMOS jumper and therefore deleted the 4.40 and was still able to get a video signal eventually. I now wonder if that could work.. I really only need to get into the BIOS to update it and see what happens. It's probably going to be my last resort before I send it back and ask for my money back. Is there any chance that the 3.10 would support the 5 2400g processor? I could plug in an old graphic card if the 3.10 won't recognize the integrated one, but getting the processor to work would be a start!

JohnM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 3:33am
A few points.

- BIOS 3.10 does not support the 2400G processor.
- It is not possible to update from 3.10 to 4.40 or 4.43 directly. The option is only available after you have updated to 3.60.
- The CMOS jumper does not delete the BIOS. It only clears your options back to the defaults.
- The board won't POST without both a CPU and RAM.
- Are you remembering to plug in the eight-pin CPU power connector? It won't POST without it.
ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 ITX P4.90, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, 2x8GB Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2666C16, 250GB Samsung 960EVO, 500GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Blue, Windows 10 Pro 64, Corsair SF450, Cooler Master Elite 110
sebag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sebag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 3:59am
Originally posted by JohnM JohnM wrote:

A few points.

- BIOS 3.10 does not support the 2400G processor.
- It is not possible to update from 3.10 to 4.40 or 4.43 directly. The option is only available after you have updated to 3.60.

Ok, Thanks! Then I guess they updated correctly the first time. 

- The CMOS jumper does not delete the BIOS. It only clears your options back to the defaults.
So If I do that it will keep the BIOS 4.40 even though the board came out of the box with 3.10? 

- The board won't POST without both a CPU and RAM.
- Are you remembering to plug in the eight-pin CPU power connector? It won't POST without it.

But it should POST with a CPU but no RAM right? Should't it beep to let you know that there's something wrong with the RAM? That's what I've been looking for to see if the board recognize the processor, but I guess it doesn't and the fact that I left the RAM out leads to no POST at all..

Ans yes, I actually only have a 4PIN CPU power connector, but it should deliver enough power anyways. I also tried with another PU with an 8 PIN connector but I get the same result sadly.. CPU fan is spinning, but no sign of life..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic