ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock AB350M Pro4 - Freezing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 34>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helos9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:31am
I have the same problem with my Asrock AB350 Pro4. Worked for 2 weeks and then the freezing/crashing began. Flashed the 4.70 last night, but it didnt seem to work. Will try again and hope for the best. Looking into ASUS Prime B350M-A/CSM if this doesnt work.
jj747 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jj747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 8:38pm
Any news using the 3.70 bios user? my card is in assistance but the technician fails to generate the lock condition

Leeouque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Leeouque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 11:34pm
Hello guys, I think I found a solution and it seems to be working for me.
Go to bios => exit => load uefi defaults
Then go to Advanced => AMD CBS => NBIO common options => scroll down to Power supply idle control and select Typical Current Idle.
Haven't seen any freezes or crushes since I done that.
alinadem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alinadem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 11:36pm
Hey guys potential fix, please check this link to see if this works for your asrock ab350m pro4. The asus tuf has been working flawlessly, and note if you do get the tuf, the oldest bios still supported the ryzen 1600x

Potential fix for asrock ab350m pro4 freezing https://youtu.be/q1yVMZcqaf0
beretta92user View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beretta92user Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 1:17am
i had more or less the same issues as you...i did replace it for a gigabyte b350m gaming 3 and 0 issues in over a week.
PetrolHead View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 3:22am
Originally posted by Leeouque Leeouque wrote:

Then go to Advanced => AMD CBS => NBIO common options => scroll down to Power supply idle control and select Typical Current Idle.

Which BIOS version do you have? The 3.3 doesn't seem to have that option under NBIO common options.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 3:27am
Originally posted by alinadem alinadem wrote:

Potential fix for asrock ab350m pro4 freezing https://youtu.be/q1yVMZcqaf0

I'll save everyone a few minutes of their time: He smashes the mobo with a shovel after ranting for a few minutes.
Ryzen 5 1500X, ASRock AB350M Pro4, 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3466CL16, Sapphire Pulse RX Vega56 8G HBM2, Corsair RM550x, Samsung 960 EVO SSD (NVMe) 250GB, Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB, Windows 10 64-bit
Leeouque View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leeouque Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 4:21am
Originally posted by PetrolHead PetrolHead wrote:

Originally posted by Leeouque Leeouque wrote:

Which BIOS version do you have? The 3.3 doesn't seem to have that option under NBIO common options.

BIOS 4.70
I'm not quite sure if it really works because I don't have much time to test it, but it looks at least more stable with this option.
axemole View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axemole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 4:50am
PetroHead and Leeouque

BIOS 4.70

You made a mistake... it is not:
Advanced => AMD CBS => NBIO common options

it is... one of the other options
Advanced => AMD CBS => Zen common options => Power Supply Idle Control

I am testing it as we speak
Thanks for the tip and hope it works
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PetrolHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 7:05am
Hmm. There was no such option under Zen Common Options either in my BIOS, but there was indeed a "PSI" option under NBIO common options. This is likely the same thing, but the BIOS description did not help at all in this regard. I also only have the options "Auto" and "Disabled", of which "Auto" is the default value.

In any case, I think Leeouque is on to something. I found this by googling Power Supply Idle Control:

"We have been investigating the issue where systems are reportedly locking up when idling or running small workloads

This issue is related to the power supply.  Most PC power supplies (PSUs) are designed to handle a wide range of power consumption from your PC components, but not all PSUs are created equal.

Because of this, there are some rare conditions where the power draw of an efficient PC does not meet the minimum power consumption requirements for one or more circuits inside some PSUs.

This scenario (called "minimal loading supply" can cause such PSUs to output poor quality power, or shut off entirely.

To prevent this issue from happening, it is important to ensure that the power supply supports 0A minimum load on the +12V circuit. These PSUs became commonplace starting in 2013 for the Intel "Haswell" platform.

This specification can be found printed on the sticker affixed to most PSUs, or it may be available on the manufacturer's website.

However, AMD understands that not everyone is in a position to replace their PSU with a contemporary 0A-rated unit. To help with that, AMD is also developing a firmware workaround for these power supplies, and will make it available through motherboard partners as a BIOS update in the future."

This is apparently from an AMD engineer and the explanation seems reasonable. I'm using a Corsair RM550x, which is "Haswell ready" (Intel C6/C7 state compatible) and this is probably why I haven't experienced the freezing issue even without using the BIOS workaround.

Edited by PetrolHead - 13 Mar 2018 at 7:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 34>
  Share Topic